Machines & Madness - Part 3 (new song with clean vocals)

Were you actually trying for a different sound or is it just because you've been writing and tracking these tunes at different times, etc ...?

For "The Gunslinger´s Ka" I used the Krank rev jr./Mesa cab together with the V-amp pro (4 tracks) For this song I only used the latter and somehow got used to it..(fucking crafty, huh). But as I posted this first mix here, I guess, the work on the song´s production has just begun :)

That acoustic sound is making me totally gay for you right now :lol:

Hahaha okay, I try to take this as a compliment, dude :D Thanks!

I dig the song. :)

I especially like the random noise in the end (you stood up with the acoustic guitar to press stop, perhaps? ;)) I hope you'll keep that in there for the final version. :D

Hi Eddy :) And thank you!

Haha yeah, you hear me sitting down and putting away the guitar. If you listen loudly, you can hear the click coming out of the headphones I used to record the track. Of course I will keep this for the final version.

That sounds like a terrible idea:lol:. Why on earth use vamp (even for 2 tracks) when you have a krank/mesa setup.

Hmmm yes..somehow. All songs I start recording, basically begin with little effort. When I feel, the song structure & arrangement is working, I start running high effort. And so will it be then. You can be corious about the final mix :)

Okay, so I started some test recordings with the JVM205 for the rythm guitars, should be A LOT better then ;) I will also record some more vocal harmonics and orchestral stuff. If you guys have some ideas/suggestions for the song, let me know, okay?

you should try some harmony ideas for the vocal part at 4:48 ... you do the same thing earlier in the song and it sounds good a little more "stripped down" but when you get to that part at 4:48 you want to make that not only sound a little different from the 1st time, but also give it some more impact cause you're ending the tune

and cowbell ... it needs more cowbell ;)

you should try some harmony ideas for the vocal part at 4:48 ... you do the same thing earlier in the song and it sounds good a little more "stripped down" but when you get to that part at 4:48 you want to make that not only sound a little different from the 1st time, but also give it some more impact cause you're ending the tune

and cowbell ... it needs more cowbell ;)

yeah harmony und cowbell für die br00tz ; )

Cowbell, dudes?! This is a joke, huh :D

Haha thanks Carlos, I´ll do what I can to give you guys a pleasent listening experience then. Some increasing elements towards the end is absolutely needed, I realized after stop listening to it for more than 12 hours :)

dang, complex and experimentalish! great vox (reminds me of someone I really like and listen to, but can't place it!); guitars sound very full. can't imagine how much work went into that bad boy.

dang, complex and experimentalish! great vox (reminds me of someone I really like and listen to, but can't place it!); guitars sound very full. can't imagine how much work went into that bad boy.

Thank you very much, dude :kickass:

I cannot help you about that..It´s difficult to rate/categorize my own vocals. But to be honest, I really like the clean voice of Mikael Akerfeldt, cause he often sings in similar vocal range.

Good job bro. Sounds really pro, loving the vox!

@Masterbeast, thank you very much :) I´m very glad, you like it! Feel free to post some of your great artworks for the M&M project :worship:

Hm, Felix, this is my least favorite of your stuff you've posted on this forum so far. Reasons for that are:

a) I can't find anything in the song to "hang on to"

b) I really don't like these modulation-like effects you sometimes have for very short moments on your higher, more powerful vocals. Are those tuning artefacts from Melodyne?

c) the low voice is good in general but not loud enough, a bit too dry (I'd use more delay than you are using now) and in general doesn't convey any "feelings" to me

d) if there is a chorus, I can't identify it clearly

e) overall I feel that this song is lacking some sort of direction. This may be a bit of an esotheric-statement, but to me nothing really fits together and it doesn't flow.

I can't comment on the guitar tone because I am on my laptop speakers right now.

So take from that what you can use. I am obviously the total minority by not liking the track (and I am also a total pop-guy) - but I think you can do much better than this!

Hm, Felix, this is my least favorite of your stuff you've posted on this forum so far. Reasons for that are:

a) I can't find anything in the song to "hang on to"

b) I really don't like these modulation-like effects you sometimes have for very short moments on your higher, more powerful vocals. Are those tuning artefacts from Melodyne?

c) the low voice is good in general but not loud enough, a bit too dry (I'd use more delay than you are using now) and in general doesn't convey any "feelings" to me

d) if there is a chorus, I can't identify it clearly

e) overall I feel that this song is lacking some sort of direction. This may be a bit of an esotheric-statement, but to me nothing really fits together and it doesn't flow.

I can't comment on the guitar tone because I am on my laptop speakers right now.

So take from that what you can use. I am obviously the total minority by not liking the track (and I am also a total pop-guy) - but I think you can do much better than this!

Thanks for your honest opinion, dude!

Yeah, I definitively hear ya for some points. I were sure, with this song I do not reach all the guys here. You can behold this song as a fragment of something bigger. Perhaps it blooms, when you hear it in the context with the entire album..who knows :)

The refrain is..

"A mighty sound - as I unlock the door...etc"

So the song actually begins with the refrain, although quite tamed. I know, this wouldn´t have single/hit characterism. Furthermore I´m still working on the song and try to reach the "certain it"....Maybe I get some ideas yet.

Edit:

Are those tuning artefacts from Melodyne?

No, I used doubler for it. Still not sure, if absolutely needed.