New Steven Wilson Solo Album

I picked up my copy of the deluxe CD edition a bit over an hour ago. Almost finished listening to it for the first time.

The book looks fantastic, it's huge and very heavy with beautiful photographs. Even though he appears in one of the trailers, I don't see Jonas credited.

I missed the pre-order so I'll have to wait untill next year untill I can get a copy... If I dont download it.

Yeah, this was the only chance to order this edition, it is never to be reprinted.. The regular edition will 'only' have the regular album and the DVDA version of it.

I thought it was really expensive at first and it was, but now that I have it, I see where that money went and it was definitely worth it.

The songs seem a little bit.. uneventful. Theres a lot of difference between each song, but few of them seem to really go anywhere. Theres a lacking of interesting vocalmelodies too.

But this is from two listens, though. Hoping it will pick up.

Allow it to grow, I'm into my 5th or 6th listen now, I'm not totally overwhelmed yet either. But then, I didn't really like Fear of a Blank Planet before I had heard it like 20 times or so. And it ended up being my album of the year 2007 hands down. The Nil Recurring EP took me even longer, strange how that works..

It's exactly the same for me basically. I like the first song and Get All You Deserve, and the last song is fantastic :) The other songs are not really my style. It's more brooding than memorable really. I'm hoping for it to grow :)

This album is fucking darkness! I think every song is bloody awesome except for "No twilight within the courts of the sun" and "Only Child". Twilight coda is slightly filler, though it works in the context of the album ...

Good job SW, now go produce the new Katatonia. And take care of that 5.1 mix, too.

Significant Other is the best song on the album imo. I've been listening to it on repeat for the latest 24 hours (the album, not the song).

Due to the high demand and the absurd prices that are getting payed on ebay, Steve is considering a repress of the deluxe edition of the album.

Read his blog:
Sunday, November 30, 2008

Insurgentes special edition repress?

OK, I'm actually considering this, because of the ABSURD prices people are paying for the deluxe editions on eBay. My intention was never to create such a chasm between supply / demand such that people could take such advantage of the situation like this. You might justifiably say, well why did you make such a small number if you didn't want this to happen? Hindsight is a fine thing - the simple answer to that is that they were so expensive to make that I had to err somewhere between caution and what I thought I could sell if things went fantastically well. Despite the fact there was hardly any mark up (although people *still* complained about the price, which frankly at the time I found astonishing given what was being offered) it was an expensive piece so I thought that I'd be doing well to sell 4,000 from one single point of mail order in these recessionary times. Guess I was wrong, and it seems that now people are prepared to pay more than 10 times my original price to get a copy. That's extreme, so I have to now seriously consider going back on my word of maintaining the announced limitation, to try to take the market away from the eBayers. So what do you think? I welcome your thoughts on this. It makes very little difference to me personally, but it pisses me off that fans who clearly want to own this beautiful edition didn't get a copy because people who obviously never wanted it in the first place (or somehow managed to get multiple copies) snapped them up, and are now selling them at crazy prices. And I guess I'm the only one that can fix that with a second edition.

By the way my friend Charles from Crazy Diamond is going to auction off about 20 copies over the next few weeks, and the money will go to charity. This is with my approval, in an attempt to mitigate some of the bidding going on (the theory being that the more copies on sale the more the bidding will be spread out). So if you do feel you have to have a copy and will pay anything for it, please bid for one of these copies. Thanks.

SW

PS - I hope you like the album!

PSS - Just to clarify, there will be an easily available and unlimited 2 disc release of the album in stereo/5.1 sound coming in Feb, so it's not like I only intended 4,000 people to ever be able to own Insurgentes. It's specifically the special edition book we are talking about here (and the bonus CD which is exclusive to that release). Just wanted to be absolutely clear about that - no-one has to buy the deluxe edition to get the album itself.
If there's a repress, I can seriously recommend to get it, it is worth every penny!