New Stuff Again

dude I just checked out those vox by themselves. They sound so fucking pretty.

any tips on that smoothness? I'm pretty sure I tune/edit my vox similarly to you but they don't come out that smooth. must be a compression thing?

[UEAK]Clowd;8933078 said:
dude I just checked out those vox by themselves. They sound so fucking pretty.

any tips on that smoothness? I'm pretty sure I tune/edit my vox similarly to you but they don't come out that smooth. must be a compression thing?

probably the compression

i compress the living shit out of vocals

to the point where its a square black block in the wave form

[UEAK]Clowd;8933091 said:
I do too. maybe it's just the dude's voice.

chain

at4040->rme fireface 800

that is tuned then time stretched

then eq'd, then de-essed, then compressed
sometimes eq'd again, and other times compressed or limited again (like soft vocals)
then some gentle automation on stuff that's RMS heavy but same level (usually straight volume reduction to cure those spots)

every other line has anywhere from 1 - 5 extra background vocals
some parts more

its all about layering and knowing what to make the singer do (like sing the same line, but in falsetto) and getting those to match so perfect that it changes their voice to sound better

all of that, combined with producer skills / technique will get you there!

Compressing the shit out of vocals is the right way to do it for modern music. A lot of the time you'll get phrases that are too soft or too loud or that just stick out the wrong way. You have to tame that shit. If you want dynamics, use automation or layering!

Stuff sounds boss Joey, RESPECT!

chain

at4040->rme fireface 800

that is tuned then time stretched

then eq'd, then de-essed, then compressed
sometimes eq'd again, and other times compressed or limited again (like soft vocals)
then some gentle automation on stuff that's RMS heavy but same level (usually straight volume reduction to cure those spots)

every other line has anywhere from 1 - 5 extra background vocals
some parts more

its all about layering and knowing what to make the singer do (like sing the same line, but in falsetto) and getting those to match so perfect that it changes their voice to sound better

all of that, combined with producer skills / technique will get you there!

thanks man. I do a lot of layering but usually just with harmonies, I guess I've never really thought about doing layers specifically for changing the tone as opposed to layering for harmonies.

joey just out of curiosity, how drastically do your guitar tones change after being mastered? I just can't imagine getting this clear of a tone out of POD without a ridiculous amount of PP and mastering.

holy fuck this is good.

Joey whats the mastering chain?
Also theres never been much talk of how good your leads are. This song is an absolute standout for the leads.

Any hint at whats being used there on the lead geetz?