New to Katatonia

Would you consider Dance of December Souls doom metal? Or would it be like Doom/Death or what? I really don't think I've ever llistened to any doom metal before. Any bands that sound like this? I've heard good things about Agalloch.

Its "doom" metal to an extent. Its definitely not traditional doom, but it has the emotion and atmosphere of it. Agalloch doesn't really sound anything like Dance of December Souls but they're dark and melancholic and really great, so I would highly reccomend checking them out.

Your closest bet would be something like My Dying Bride (Turn Loose the Swans album mainly). Dance of December Souls is quite unique.

Man, you should check out some Abruptum haha.

If you like the old Dance of December souls you really should listen to Opeth if you haven't already, I am not a big fan but a lot of Opeth can be heard in the early Katatonia stuff.

Oh and for god sake buy The Great Cold Distance, its not my favourite album that would be Discouraged Ones(ok ok Deliberation is a fucking amazing song and one of my top 3 favs with Tonights Music and Deadhouse close behind) but you see its the one that sounds so well produced it does the band a lot of justice.

As said before they always change a lot and people like them for different reasons, I would reccomend LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN. Although my fav is probably Brave MD.
Have you heard any more? u havent posted for a while

Well, I finally finished digestng Dance of December Souls. I tend to listen to music with a faster tempo (even Opeth who is one of my favorite bands), but I must say, this change of pace is brilliant and I can't imagine that I've missed it for so long.
I began listening to Tonight's Decision because an acquaintance had a copy lying around. I see the enormous difference, but it's certainly not a bad thing. I don't know that much about music, but I've noticed in the first song that the lead guitar isn't playing a conventional scale (or possibly he's playing the scale in an order that sounds odd) and it adds a bit to the mood (If I'm a little vague with this reference, I mean the four note's that are picked repeatedly in the chorus). So far my only complaint (it's quite minor) is that the vocals are mixed a bit too loud for my liking, but this problem is only when I listen to it on my I-Pod with headphones.
If this is the worst (based on that it seems to be the least popular among you) Katatonia has to offer, then I think I see some great music in my future.

Alcapoth, a while ago, I read that Euronymous called Abruptum like the "the true epitome of dark black evil death" or something ridiculous like that, so I decided to check them out. I really don't find them at all appealing, it just lacks... What I like... Haha, but thanks for the reccomendation anyway, and I've added My Dying Bride to my musical "to do" list.

Also, slightly off topic I "acquired" some Ulver and Agalloch, and while I've only listened to a single Agalloch track (the first one on Pale Folklore) which happens to be great, I listened to Ulver's Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler in it's entirety and I'm damn impressed. I'd like to thank D3v4S7A710N for having a picture of Ulver in his/her signature, haha.
Edit: Apparently a he, I see the beard now, haha.

2 Listens to Tonight's Decision, I personally think it picks up later in the album. Either that or I just got more into it as it went on.

Next, Brave Murder Day, I got a few minutes into Brave yesterday, but I still have a lot to go. I noticed Mikael Akerfeldt's vocals replacing the other dude. I love hearing him in bands other than Opeth.

I was listening to Opeth again last night, sometimes its almost uncanny the way that Katatonia and Opeth went it such different directions, yet hold the same core sound as it were.

I've finally grown accustomed to Katatonia's newer trademark sound. I really don't think it's so "depressive." I've been listening to it basically whenever. I took a nice walk to the corner store listening to Last Fair Deal Gone Down, and I relaxed and eventually fell asleep to The Great Cold Distance. When I say sleep I don't mean it bored me to sleep, I just happened to be listening to it while I was incredibly exhausted. I listened to TGCD twice yesterday, it's getting better. I remember the first time I heard Deliberation (I saw a video for it) I couldn't stand it. But the second time I heard it I loved it immediately. It's probably because I gradually eased into their sound from their older stuff.

Sandrothecoolman said:
I listened to Ulver's Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler in it's entirety and I'm damn impressed. I'd like to thank D3v4S7A710N for having a picture of Ulver in his/her signature, haha.
Edit: Apparently a he, I see the beard now, haha.

The thing I LOVE about Ulver is that each of their albums are completely different. Nattens Madrigal is pure black metal, Kveldssangeri s Neo-folk.
After that Ulver ventures into extremely experimental electronic stuff in the vien of coil. Perdition City being their most popular non-metal album (for a great reason).