new to metal need some guidance

I'll believe you when you record a cover of "In The Valley of Death, I Am Their King."

I've only heard the first few albums, which is the main guy playing everything. I know on his later albums he got a drummer but was too discouraged to check them out after the first experience. Guessing that track is on the newer stuff since I haven't heard it. I'll check it out.

I've only heard the first few albums, which is the main guy playing everything. I know on his later albums he got a drummer but was too discouraged to check them out after the first experience. Guessing that track is on the newer stuff since I haven't heard it. I'll check it out.

It's from his very last record actually.

Black Sabbath will be an absolute magic carpet ride, enjoy. I wish I could relive my discovery of their stuff over and over. Any other bands you've been going through?

Black Sabbath will be an absolute magic carpet ride, enjoy. I wish I could relive my discovery of their stuff over and over. Any other bands you've been going through?
i had my eyes on Metallica but i have on the queue right after Black Sabbath i know my system is weird when it comes to listening to new music but i think the first few albums are always special that is why i always listen to the oldest to the newest and i dont like to change the band until i finish every last of their songs

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Scorpions is a filler band. Jesus fucking Christ @Vilden deserves a lifetime achievement award for the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum.

Anyone that has never listened to metal outside of the radio should still know Rock You Like a Hurricane or No One Like You. They're a fantastic starting point and one of the greatest hard rock/heavy metal bands of all time.

Testament, Overkill, Artillery, Witchfinder General, Accept, Riot, Dokken, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Primal Fear, Obituary, Ozzy Osbourne, Alcatrazz, Loudness, Budgie, Gorgoroth, Anthem, X Japan, Flower Travellin' Band, Stryper, Nuclear Assault, Scorpions, Sodom, Tankard, Holy Moses, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Dark Funeral, Grim Reaper, Pretty Maids, Iced Earth, Maniac Butcher, 1349, Vulcano, Sepultura, Inquisition, Flotsam and Jetsam, Onslaught, Root, Annihilator, Sacred Reich, Impaled Nazarene, KISS, Emperor, Armored Saint, Quartz, U.D.O., Stormwitch, Razor, Hour of 13, Wolf, Rammstein, Pantera, Halford, Judas Iscariot, UFO, Atrophy, Spellcaster, Bullet, Enforcer, Bulldozer, Sabbat (U.K.), Carpathian Forest, Angel Corpse,

The list would probably be longer if I had heard every band on the list.
Pretty much every band I highlighted doesn't even remotely approach filler.

I guess you could make a case for Overkill, early Emperor, early Sodom and maybe Root.

I own albums by alot of those bands and I don't consder them bad or anything, but in a thread where you recommend bands to a brand new metalhead, bands like Witchfinder General, Impaled Nazarene, Inquisition or Artillery are at best tier 3.

I've never understood this line of reasoning. I'm sorry, are there meant to be "tiers" when it comes to recommending music to people? For what purpose? Getting people into metal? I don't see a lot of issues with a lot of the recommendations listed here under that criteria. Especially when it comes to bands like Armored Saint, Ozzy Osbourne (with fucking Randy Rhodes), Razor, Scorpions, Accept, Iced Earth, Flotsam and Jetsam, Annihilator, Grim Reaper, Quartz, U.D.O., Overkill (one of the best thrash bands of all time), Dokken, Witchfinder General, Testament, Artillery, Riot, etc.

Last edited:
Hey, I still maintain that not a single band I posted was filler. Every last one was a sincere suggestion to a burgeoning metalhead. If it doesn't conform to your tastes, I don't give a flying fuck. Also, my thanks to @Talos of Atmora for being one of the few people outside of CIG who'll side with me about Dokken.

Hey, I still maintain that not a single band I posted was filler. Every last one was a sincere suggestion to a burgeoning metalhead. If it doesn't conform to your tastes, I don't give a flying fuck. Also, my thanks to @Talos of Atmora for being one of the few people outside of CIG who'll side with me about Dokken.
Yep, it's you, me, CIG and Razorfist against the world. :tickled:

Scorpions is a filler band. Jesus fucking Christ @Vilden deserves a lifetime achievement award for the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum.

Anyone that has never listened to metal outside of the radio should still know Rock You Like a Hurricane or No One Like You. They're a fantastic starting point and one of the greatest hard rock/heavy metal bands of all time.

Pretty much every band I highlighted doesn't even remotely approach filler.

I've never understood this line of reasoning. I'm sorry, are there meant to be "tiers" when it comes to recommending music to people? For what purpose? Getting people into metal? I don't see a lot of issues with a lot of the recommendations listed here under that criteria. Especially when it comes to bands like Armored Saint, Ozzy Osbourne (with fucking Randy Rhodes), Razor, Scorpions, Accept, Iced Earth, Flotsam and Jetsam, Annihilator, Grim Reaper, Quartz, U.D.O., Overkill (one of the best thrash bands of all time), Dokken, Witchfinder General, Testament, Artillery, Riot, etc.
Heh, well, my list isn't 100% waterproof. I may have added a couple of bands to get a rise out of people but the main point still stands.

And ofcourse there are tiers to recommendations, otherwise people would be tricked into worshipping third rate copies like Watain as if they were the pinnacle of achivement instead of the real deal (DMDS). :)