new to symphony X

DoomsdayZach said:
If you would have stopped there, you would have had my oppinion. Damnation and Twilight don't really have as many memorable songs, but they also don't have rod :lol: Oh well, oppinions are like assholes.... so i guess i'm just one gigantic oppinion :D

Hehe.

Actually Rod's grown on me quite a bit. He still forks up some sections, but I think he does an OK job most of the time, and even is the highlight of some parts.

But wtf is up with "And I am the answer to it aaaaaawwrlll?" LOL. That was one of the songs he forked up.

DoomsdayZach said:
If you would have stopped there, you would have had my oppinion. Damnation and Twilight don't really have as many memorable songs, but they also don't have rod :lol: Oh well, oppinions are like assholes.... so i guess i'm just one gigantic oppinion :D
Twilight may be my favorite album, those songs are super-memorable IMO.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Twilight may be my favorite album, those songs are super-memorable IMO.

The only songs I still regularily listen to from that album are Through the Looking Glass and Lady of the Snow.... I like parts of the others, but they're way less inspired than other Symphony X.

BTW, anyone else notice the tie-in to Raging Seasons in Orion? Old news? Probably.

Agreed. Through the Looking Glass is fantastic, but it's also waaaay better on the live album, so i don't have a whole lot of use for twilight. It is still a great album, but comparted to other symphony x albums it just doesn't live up IMO. Other than the self titled :lol:

winter_madness said:
are these guys power metal?
is this one of the most well-known bands of classical metal? (in a sence of muse in classical rock)

I think the proper term is classic rock. Just being picky :)

And Symphony X is just simply metal with some progressive and power elements. I would be more inclined to throw them in the same genre as Iron Maiden.

soundgarden said:
I think the proper term is classic rock. Just being picky :)

And Symphony X is just simply metal with some progressive and power elements. I would be more inclined to throw them in the same genre as Iron Maiden.

SymX and Iron Maiden? That's a new one by me..

MJR describes it as progressive metal..some might go farther to say it's neo-classical progmetal..

Jax said:
SymX and Iron Maiden? That's a new one by me..

MJR describes it as progressive metal..some might go farther to say it's neo-classical progmetal..

I just don't hear that defiant, innovative, and experimental nature that should be embodied in any prog band, rock or metal.

Don't get me wrong, I love SX but if they want to be classified as prog metal they need to think farther out of the box.

edit...also Jax, It is not up to a band to determine what genre they are in. Yes, they make an attempt to be that, but its up to the fans to determine if they are successfull in achieving that status. And for me, they didn't, yet (hopefully)

edit 2...also Jax, I don't if it has been asked before but what does WLOJ stand for?

Lol, I made a thread asking that once. Apparently if she tells us, she's gotta kill us afterwards :D Some inside joke between her and the old forum mod or something if I remember properly.

soundgarden said:
edit...also Jax, It is not up to a band to determine what genre they are in. Yes, they make an attempt to be that, but its up to the fans to determine if they are successfull in achieving that status. And for me, they didn't, yet (hopefully)

Wow, that's rather arrogant..I'd say you have every right to decide what qualities make up your opinion of what makes music fall into whatever genre..but I don't think you get to dictate whether or not a band can classify their own music.

He's right though. Lots of bands have tried to be like other bands, but just fell into a completely different category. For example, lots of bands today tried to be like 80's Metallica or something like that, but turned out screamo or nu-metal.

What a band is 'trying to be', and how they classify the music that they have already created are two different things, though.

I think i agree with what soundgarden is trying to say, but there's a problem when you come to genres is that everyone has ideas and nothing is definitive. If everyone on this forum definted progressive, each and every definition would be different, including and excluding some bands. To me, Symphony X is a good balance of prog, power, and neoclassical metal. They have some time changes and rhythmic structures that, to me, make them prog.

Main point? Fuck y'all, i'm right as always :D

It's bands like Symphony X that call for the need of 8 word genres.

Symphony X = Progressive Neo-Classical Symphonic Progressive Power Metal.

You know you're doing something either great or slightly confusing if you have progressive said twice in the same dealy. I sort of agree with whoever said that Symphony X is more metal than prog. Granted their CDs say "file under progressive metal" on the back, I'm not sure that's how I think of it. Despite what they are genre-ized as, they still rock hard