New track. Very disappointed.

threak

Oct 21, 2002
Are some of you guys actually serious in saying that you like the new track?
It sounds so boring compared to anything else they have ever done. It has no mind blowing or really exciting parts that like all other opeth songs make you think "whoa, where the hell did that come from". The riff is so bland like a 100 other bands are doing right now, the keyboards suck.And the drum beat is boring as hell with no creativity involved.

Im so disappointed with this that words cant even describe. And i dont see how the album is gonna be any different than this track either. Its such a noticable change in sound for them.

And please dont tell me that its the quality of the rip that makes it sound bad. It doesnt take away from the fact that this blatantly is'nt opeth anymore.

I know im not the only one who thinks this.

Its very easy to say that. But it does'nt take away from the fact that the album will have this really shitty song on it.

I already gave my opinion on this track on the thread that was deleted... Now I'll wait to the album and then I'll tell you what I think. On a side note, although I love all opeth albums, I was excited from the first listen with Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, Still Life and BWP. For D1 and D2 I needed much more effort to enjoy them; the same is happening with TGC.

Exactly my point dude. Deliverance was thier least atmospheric album excluding a fair judgement. But imo still managed to meet all of my expectations of what i wanted to hear in the new album, all the right parts were there.

This song has me extrememly worried. I know they signed to RR midway/after the recording of this album, but i cant help feel that they have been officially roadrunnered.

The song, while it definately has some bland parts, has some interesting things going on as well. A lot of it really is hidden in the quality.

Seriously, just wait for a good recording before you judge.

Threak,I agree with same parts of your post, but still it's really easy for you to say that. You can't just decide a song is shitty after listening to it only a few times. I know the new album will be hard to get used to, but so was Deliverance in my opinion.
So give it a time, maybe it will grow in you. You can't just say it's a shitty song ( think about the efforts Opeth has put in that album) it's just simply stupid and disrespectful.

At least wait for the album to come out to start a thread like that.
Listen to full album, if you still think like that, i will respect your opinions.
But right now (months before album came out) it's plain nonsense in my opinion.

I don't understand how you can judge the song by that crappy rip. And yes I do think the quality of the rip does make a big fucken' difference. You just can't hear that clearly what's going on with the second guitars, bass or even drums for some part. So many layers and tricks missed, that at least I feel like I'm not entitled to do any evaluations at this point.

I don't like the somehow Meshuggah-styled rhytm parts either, but I sure as hell want to know what's going on with all the other instrument, before I decide the whole song is crap.

Or then maybe I just have shitty stereo and you all know better... Don't get the new album if you're so goddamn disappointed. It's your choice.

I dont understand why alot of you are this disappointed. I think this album is gonna be one of the (if not the) best album Opeth has ever done, yeah the low quality is ofcourse very annoying, but you can hear the song without any problems. I love everything they have done but I also have my favorites...no doubt about that, but this song is simply amazing. I cant stop listening to it, and Iam sure Ghost Reveries will be the best album this year.

I love The Grand Conjuration, even though the quality sucks!
The quality makes it sounds bad, but its really a great song, with great lyrics and a coupple of great riffs! I look forward to hear the other songs, and the whole albumstory! You can't be serious when you say that this song sucks? The vocals are perfect (even if its sucky quality) I think Ghost Reveries would be a sucsess!

I'll admit, I too was very disappointed in Opeth's newest track. I'm just hoping it's the weakest track on Ghost Reveries. Either way, I'll make the fullest effort I can to enjoy their new album. Even if it isn't as good as their other work, Opeth will still remain my favorite band.

Ive listened to the rip many times now, and it is obvious that many layers are missing due to the quality. Im not talking about minor effects either. Whole guitar lines and esspecially the synths and cymbals are drowned out in the mix. Its very important to wait and here more than the rhythm line before judging.

My initial reaction wasnt all that favorable, but I soon realized that it was more a product of almost impossibly high standards than any real fault in the music. We all have come to expect so much from Opeth that if it isnt instantly mindblowing, we label it shit. This isnt fair to the music nor the guy's efforts. I dont mean to say that we shouldn't be critical of their work, just to go about it in a more balanced fashion.

I think the new material will come off well live, and I still have high hopes for Ghost Reveries.

threak said:
Are some of you guys actually serious in saying that you like the new track?
It sounds so boring compared to anything else they have ever done. It has no mind blowing or really exciting parts that like all other opeth songs make you think "whoa, where the hell did that come from". The riff is so bland like a 100 other bands are doing right now, the keyboards suck.And the drum beat is boring as hell with no creativity involved.

Im so disappointed with this that words cant even describe. And i dont see how the album is gonna be any different than this track either. Its such a noticable change in sound for them.

And please dont tell me that its the quality of the rip that makes it sound bad. It doesnt take away from the fact that this blatantly is'nt opeth anymore.

I know im not the only one who thinks this.
Yeah, I agree with you 100%. It sounds more industrual and less organic than their previous works. I think a lot of people are feeling this way. All I can say to give some hope is that this was the first single, so it may be the most radio friendly track. I know that is pretty much the only hope I am holding out for the new album. I always felt that Opeth were all about the music and not selling out. Them touring with all the nu metal bands is scary.