New Trivium (2011)

Haha, this one is defo too simple... I feel no need to listen to it ever again, because there's nothing more to discover... The part @1:42 sounds like Design the Skyline (or whatever they're called) had a guest appearance.

Don't ever compare Trivium to Design the Skyline ever again!

listened to all the clips, the lyrics seem to be a bit cheesy but musically i really like what i've heard so far.

New album came out today, and the whole thing is on Spotify! :)

I'm really digging it! This is the album that SHOULD have been released after their "Ascendancy" album. And Colin did a great job on the Production and Mixing duties! I'm glad Matt isn't trying to sound like a Hetfield clone anymore. ;)

I generally like it, but it is really heavy on the pop elements / radio friendliness. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not yet sure if that's my thing. It needs a few more listens for that to be determined.

I got the deluxe version with the DVD, it's awesome. I like the more melodic style, Shogun was pretty cool but a bit too dark for me. By the way, the DVD is cool they go through each aspect of production and they have a "live in the studio" set.

Gonna have to check this out. I LOVED Ascendancy, but this band honestly lost me with Crusade. I couldn't take them too seriously after that. Seemed like they just up and decided to completely change the sound every record. Not that evolution is bad, but it's like they've been searching for something to help them make it big, and left behind what made them awesome in the first place. I've always thought they were great musicians though.

I'll give this one a few thorough listens, but I'm not expecting to be blown away. Hope they prove me wrong.

This band can never decide who they are can they.
Give them time, they'll be back to their "the four of us were never into bands that scream and we don't like any of the current bands that scream, so we asked ourselves why we're doing it" phase and then the vocalist will start doing the James Hetfield thing again

I really liked Shogun, does that mean I'm going to be disappointed with this album? Hard to tell from the clips I've heard.

Not sure honestly, I also liked Shogun but I also like the new album.

I feel like it's a lot more song-orientated/pop-ish if you want.
Not as much instrumental/slightly proggy stuff as on shogun.
For me the new album sounds more like trivium then shogun.

It was only a few months ago since i first heard Trivium and then i didn't now if i liked it or not. If the all "we are ripping metallica of 100%" was just awful or cool that they did some nice 80's trash metal. well well..

Here's the full studio documentary if anyone fancies watching it. They spent 3 days on kick drum sounds. Mental!

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin seems to be just about the pickiest metal engineer who's ever lived. Pays off in the end though!