new xbox 360 - questions for you gamers

hoehlentroll

Mar 15, 2007
Mannheim, Germany
I just bought a xbox 360. Is a hard disc or memory card necessary to play games (don't wanna play old xbox games just the 360 ones)?
I already bought fable 2, halo 3 and mass effect, any other 360 only games that are essential?

DEFINITELY get a hard drive; you can't play on Xbox Live without one!

And sounds like you got a good lineup of games, though there are so many other good ones out there (past and present) I'll just point you here :D (all games sorted by highest rating)

AND GET CALL OF DUTY 4 OMG :worship: Greatest FPS I've ever played

I don't want to play online, for that I have my PS3. I just want to play some xbox only titles. So is it absolutly necessary to have a memory card or hard disc? Will I be able to save a game without that?
I play COD4 on PC ;)

Yeah, you could save your game with a memory card, but Mass Effect for example has an AWESOME downloadable "quest" of sorts that you need a HDD for, so I'd really recommend it! (you should be able to score one used for pretty cheap)

From what I know, 360 has no on-board memory. I also don't think you can add a HDD to a 360 that wasn't supplied with one (i.e. the base model). I may be mistaken though, I've never seen a base model in the flesh.

thanks to the replies so far. I would surely buy a hard disc if this would be my main game station/console but I'll stick to ps3 and just play those games I cannot play without a 360. Anyone can answer my question?

I'm not sure if you can use a USB flash drive, but I don't think so - you should be able to get a memory card pretty cheap! (but the Mass Effect downloadable level is so good...)

Did you buy the arcade?

That should come with 256 MB Flash memory which is cool for just having a few save games.

Yes, you can buy a hard drive (or memory if you dont have it already) to attach later on if you want, its more expensive that way but you can if you need it -

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360harddrive120GB/default.htm

Microsoft were selling refurbs really cheaply a while ago, I dont know if they are anymore.

You can also attach an external HD (or memory stick) via USB as long as its formatted in Fat32 but you can only watch videos or listen to mp3's from it, not store anything, which is stupid if you ask me, but Microsofts console their daft rules.

(and don't expect Fable II to last you any longer than a few days worth of play, its longevity is pretty minimal)

:)

but the Mass Effect downloadable level is so good...

I downloaded it, but I did not play it so far...I just make career as a medic in Killzone2 :) Haha I don´t kill anyone, I only give the fallen ones some morphine. The most peaceful job, I ever made in a videogame.

Since you are only using a 360 or exclusive titles than I'd say getting a 20GB HDD would suffice. Since 2/3 games you bought are RPGs, it's safe to say that you'll be good for a while. Other 360 exclusives you may be interested in are Gears of War, Tales of Vesperia, Crackdown, and Ninja Gaiden II. I would suggest Left 4 Dead if you don't have a great computer but since you don't want XBL than just skip it. Though not a 360 exclusive, the Orange Box is a great choice, if you don't have a good enough PC to run it.

@Felix&Marcus: We seem to have the same taste concerning game genres. I LOVE good RPG's. did you play two worlds? It really prefer it over oblivion and gothic 3
can't wait to play mass effect and fable 2

I signed up for a $9 a month Netflix account and stream movies to my tv through the 360. Some movies in HD and a mega collection of standard. They have TV series you can get too. Been running through the Office recently. I actually watch more movies on it now than I play games. It's the tits.... Just another perk of the 360 with the HDD and Live.

don't wanna start up a stupid discussion (cause I soon hav both systems ;) ) but here are the points I chose the PS3 to buy first:
- blue ray capable
- everything is already onboard (wlan, hard disc, etc.)
- change the hd for the "normal" price; 360 hd are so overprized
- you can attach memory sticks, usb discs without any hazzle
- online gaming is free, I repeat FREE!

I have both systems and I must say that playing online is much more stable on xbox than on ps3.
But the Ps3 has really picked up the pace lately so my xbox sits in my closet collecting dust. When the next huge xbox exclusive arrives I will probably pick it up again, but as of now the ps3 rules.

The really good Xbox games are: GOW1 and 2, Fable series, Mass Effect and Castle Crashers(if you haven't gotten this one yet this is worth getting live for) Playing 4 player coop in castle crashers is a bliss!