Should i get the 360 or PS3?

Notuern

Bloody vaginal belch
Oct 20, 2007
Sensitive question.. kinda' like the Mac vs. PC discussion! ;)

Anyways, with the release of Brutal Legend and wanting to play Fable 2 since its release, im thinking about getting a console.
Im more of a FPS-player, but the main reason to that has probably been the fact that i haven't owned a console since the first Playstation.. and i will never EVER play an FPS with a controller(Tried it, and it sucks so hard.).

So now im sitting here thinking about which i should get..

The 360 has allot of games that i want, but its hardware is unstable as f*ck and is getting outdated, tapping it gently when its on and it will shred your cd's to pieces, and it doesnt have any mouse support(Which means no fps for me.).
The PS3 on the other hand doesnt have allot of games(Let alone Fable 2.), here the hardware is stable and will live allot longer then the 360, AND it does have mouse support.. but at the same time, all game developers have expressed how much of a mind rape it is to write decent code to it, so the question is if it really is going to live as long as the hardware is capable of?

Oh, and XBox Live costs money, PlayStation Network does not.

So which one should i get and why?

becuase PS3 is better than the 360...haha, ok...:D

you already mentioned the intetnet gaming thing.
360's break very fast, they are not built very well.
the 360 controller feels good but it sucks in general IMHO.
the button layout is strange but good if you have girl's hands;)
the PS3 has a fucking bluray drive!!!
the PS3 is not that expensive any more.
full HD PS3 games look much better IMHO (there are not many full HD games yet, but this will change surely)
there are only a few games that are just available for one of the two consoles, ok maybe fable2 is just available fpr 360,
but i'll never buy a console just for one special game i want to play.

convinced!?:D

cheers
S.

.. and i will never EVER play an FPS with a controller(Tried it, and it sucks so hard.).

+1000 :)

Obviously most of the opinions are going to be biased unless solid evidence is put forward. Pros and Cons are going to be present from both sides; I've heard certain games are better on one console whilst other games are better on the other console, so it's pretty tricky.

You seem to have done you research, but after all you're always going to find some form of criticism which is more compelling than the previous you have come across, and it's just going to get tougher.

becuase PS3 is better than the 360...haha, ok...:D

you already mentioned the intetnet gaming thing.
360's break very fast, they are not built very well.
the 360 controller feels good but it sucks in general IMHO.
the button layout is strange but good if you have girl's hands;)
the PS3 has a fucking bluray drive!!!
the PS3 is not that expensive any more.
full HD PS3 games look much better IMHO (there are not many full HD games yet, but this will change surely)
there are only a few games that are just available for one of the two consoles, ok maybe fable2 is just available fpr 360,
but i'll never buy a console just for one special game i want to play.

convinced!?:D

cheers
S.

Yeah, the 360 seems to be the most unstable machine ever built.. and if i want a Xbox controller for the PS3 im sure there is some company out there that makes clones for the PS3.
Bluray is great.. but im not a big fan of region codes! ;)

And i wouldnt buy a console just for one game either, but i really liked the first Fable, so it was when the second one was released i started thinking about getting a console for gaming.. and when i saw Brutal Legend i got even more compelled to get a console! ;)

+1000 :)

Obviously most of the opinions are going to be biased unless solid evidence is put forward. Pros and Cons are going to be present from both sides; I've heard certain games are better on one console whilst other games are better on the other console, so it's pretty tricky.

You seem to have done you research, but after all you're always going to find some form of criticism which is more compelling than the previous you have come across, and it's just going to get tougher.

Yeah, im just trying to get more info and opinions about them before deciding you know..

The 2 biggest flaws ive found with BOTH consoles that make me think about not getting one at all:

360 - It has so many hardware related issues that its not even funny, and the hardware is getting old.. so im doubting that its going to live very long.

PS3 - While the hardware is awesome and should kick the living shit out of the 360, its so hard for the developers to work with the PS3 that they end up cutting corners everywhere making some of the games slower instead..
Gabe Newell from Valve suggested that Sony should stop producing the PS3 because its so flawed for developing software, and called the PS3 version of the Orange Box "a stepchild to the original".
John Carmack ID-software hinted in an interview at that Rage might not even be released to the PS3 due to problems developing software for it, and if its released, it will not be nearly as good as the 360 or PC version.

.. so while the 360 wont live for long due to its hardware & instability, im not so sure that the PS3 will either due to the developers are basically giving it up, thats why i need convincing over which one to get! ;)

ps3 is much more stable & looks sexier.

anyway well i went out and bought a ps3 and paid 420 euro's for it and i swear it hasn't been turned on more then 10 times. i just dont use the thing and i dont know why - i may as well sell the fucking thing - its a waste of space. like...its an amazing machine, great game graphics and hd videos etc but i never use it ever!

As far as graphics, if you search Gamespot, you can find a handful of official graphics comparisons between games that are on both the PS3 and 360, and the best some PS3 games can look is as good as the 360 games, but often inferior. That said, IMO there's no 360 game that looks as good as Uncharted (and by extension, Uncharted 2, from the vids/screens I've seen), but yeah, for multi-platform games, graphics-wise they're about equal or the 360 edges it out.

Also, don't judge the PS3 vs. 360 controllers until you've held both; I happen to find the L2 and R2 buttons utterly fucking useless on the PS3 as there's nothing behind them to brace your middle finger on (in other words, when you're squeezing a trigger, you need something to press against, and there's nothing), and while most PS3 shooters get by this by using R1 as "fire", it's still annoying.

Finally, I think Microsoft has mostly ironed out the 360 reliability issues, and your warranty covered for any problems for a year and a red ring of death for 3 years. Really, IMO the ONLY deciding factor for which console you get should be which has the exclusive titles you want, because I feel like both consoles have their advantages and disadvantages for games that are on both systems. Personally, I really wanted exclusives on both systems, so I own both systems! :D (but never play PC games, honestly the main reason being I can't sit on my couch and put my feet up while doing so :()

And I pretty regularly keep up with reviews on gamespot, specifically about differences between PS3 and 360 versions of games, and so far The Orange Box and Fallout 3 are the only ones with noticeable differences (in favor of the 360, of course). So I wouldn't worry too much about that!

ps3 games are going to excel the xbox360's abilities because simply its a newer faster machine - we just need to wait for developers to really learn how to crack into the power of the ps3. it was the very same for ps1 (ridge racer 1 vs gran turismo 1 - big difference) and that goes for all game consoles including pc gaming. look at what nvidia's physix is capable of by utilizing smart software code to bring extreme realism into games

xbox360 released November 22, 2005
ps3 released November 11, 2006

a full year in the difference - also remember they are both on completely different chipsets and utilize ram & graphics in different ways

ignore all those fucking grapics comparisons, they're total bullshit

think of it like this
you've got the same amp settings, which is your constant (your tv) and a couple of different impulses (your different consoles)
you cant just slap a different impulse on the same tone and exact it to sound the same
all these graphics comparisons you see all over the place have such stupid minor differences, mainly brightness and contrast differences that a few button presses on your remote can fix

its useless comparing the ps3 and 360 graphically because the differences are completely minimal and it looks like its gonna stay that way. every time the ps3 has a game released that TAPS INTO ITS FULL GRAPHICAL CAPABILITIES MAAAAN the 360 ends up releasing one that looks just as good, and who fucking cares about graphics anyway when 90% of the games that are released nowadays are shitty sequels to brainless franchises and new developers raping old school amazing franchises.
uncharted 2's graphics can be compared to staring at the best pair of tits youve ever seen in your life, sure, whatever, but who fucking cares when its all just a derivative, unoriginal rip off of tomb raider, indiana jones and gears of fucking war?

if you're gonna be a graphics whore, get a PC, that's the only worthwhile way to scratch that graphics itch

Honestly if I was you I'd base my choice on the exclusivities. i loved most ps3 exclusivities more than 360 ( I think that Halo and Gears of war suck hard), when on ps3 you have mgs4 and you'll have God of war 3 and Heavy Rain. But I think that the new splinter cell on 360 look awesome.

And with the ps3 you get blu ray., plus free online. Yes, 360 online is better, but I don't really care about the friend system and all the + of the xbox live, I just want to play online and the ps3 does the job perfectly.

I agree with Gareth. Dont fucking listen to the graphical comparison... And that "Full HD" crap is completely untrue. There is not THAT big of a difference between 720p and 1080p and I checked that. The 360 has LOADS of games, an awesome online interface... gaming online on the 360 is really fucking fun. Both machines are on par in terms of horsepower, so basically they're the same in that department. However the PS3 wins for having bluray, which is cool if you want to see movies in HD without buying a separate bluray player. I've got a 360 and I love it, I cant stand the PS3 inteface it just fucking sucks.. if you have uber doubts then just buy an awesome PC and you're set

The new 360 doesn´t have hardware issues (Jasper board). Live isn´t free, but it sure is waaay better than all other console networks together. Microsoft has more good exclusive games and content and eventually buy the few exclusivity releases from sony (tekken, final fantasy, metal gear, etc). Project Natal is coming. 360 doesn´t ask you to install games on hard disc before you play. DVD is chaper and easier to copy. On the other hand, PS3 has God Of War 3 (but Dante´s Inferno is coming soon and it looks even better).

uncharted 2's graphics can be compared to staring at the best pair of tits youve ever seen in your life, sure, whatever, but who fucking cares when its all just a derivative, unoriginal rip off of tomb raider, indiana jones and gears of fucking war?

Don't knock it until you've played it :)

ps3 games are going to excel the xbox360's abilities because simply its a newer faster machine - we just need to wait for developers to really learn how to crack into the power of the ps3. it was the very same for ps1 (ridge racer 1 vs gran turismo 1 - big difference) and that goes for all game consoles including pc gaming. look at what nvidia's physix is capable of by utilizing smart software code to bring extreme realism into games

xbox360 released November 22, 2005
ps3 released November 11, 2006

a full year in the difference - also remember they are both on completely different chipsets and utilize ram & graphics in different ways

My view on that part is that the PS3 has the potential to excel the 360, but since the developers has to rewrite the entire code for their games in order for it to work on the PS3, i highly doubt that PS3 ever will reach its full potential.
Its like said with the graphics comparisons.. most games seem to look a bit better on the 360 due to the fact that the developers weren't able to port the code in time. The 2 biggest game developers have abandoned the PS3(Valve & ID).
We have to wait and see i guess.

Also, don't judge the PS3 vs. 360 controllers until you've held both; I happen to find the L2 and R2 buttons utterly fucking useless on the PS3 as there's nothing behind them to brace your middle finger on (in other words, when you're squeezing a trigger, you need something to press against, and there's nothing), and while most PS3 shooters get by this by using R1 as "fire", it's still annoying.

Finally, I think Microsoft has mostly ironed out the 360 reliability issues, and your warranty covered for any problems for a year and a red ring of death for 3 years. Really, IMO the ONLY deciding factor for which console you get should be which has the exclusive titles you want, because I feel like both consoles have their advantages and disadvantages for games that are on both systems. Personally, I really wanted exclusives on both systems, so I own both systems! :D (but never play PC games, honestly the main reason being I can't sit on my couch and put my feet up while doing so :()

Yeah, ive used both controllers(The PS3 basically being a dualshock with different L2&R2 buttons.), and i really do prefer the feeling of the xbox controller(I love how they placed the analogs.).

As i understood it the newer 360's only fixed overheating by using 65nm processors, there is still issues related to the soldering and the dvd-drive will still scratch your dvd's to hell if you move it when on(We have lots of pets, so thats a big problem for me.).

PS3 = MAC
XBOX 360 = PC = NOT AS RELIABLE AND/OR EFFICIENT

XBOX 360 = PC = Allot of awesome games
PS3 = Mac = No games, at all! :lol:

The new 360 doesn´t have hardware issues (Jasper board). Live isn´t free, but it sure is waaay better than all other console networks together. Microsoft has more good exclusive games and content and eventually buy the few exclusivity releases from sony (tekken, final fantasy, metal gear, etc). Project Natal is coming. 360 doesn´t ask you to install games on hard disc before you play. DVD is chaper and easier to copy. On the other hand, PS3 has God Of War 3 (but Dante´s Inferno is coming soon and it looks even better).

As i said, the Jasper bord only seems to correct overheating issues, nothing else(At least from what i have read about it.). ;X

if you have uber doubts then just buy an awesome PC and you're set

I dont have an awesome PC, or the money for one either, but its sure enough to run Crysis at the Ultra High setting without having any issues with lagging, so i have enough raw power for most games really, but i feel that i am missing out on allot of the console games that are out there.. like Fable 2 and Brutal Legend for instance.

Anyways, right now im kind of leaning towards the 360 due to that it has allot of the games i want, and i know allot of games that will be released to it in the future that i want as well.