News about Australian tour

curbstone

May 19, 2001
Australia
Visit site
News on opeth.com has been updated.

Only mentions one Adelaide show and three shows in Melbourne to finish...

i really hope this is not the case...I was hoping to go to Brisbane and Sydney...

Cheers

Paul D.

Reactions: Profanity
Yeah, I read that on the official site aswell.
Strange...why would they have three shows in Melbourne? That doesn't make any sense...I'm guessing that it's some sort of typo...the way its worded would suggest that.

And if they aren't playing in Sydney...well, I'm guessing there'll be quite a few disappointed fans.
But I can't see them missing out on the lagest city in Australia, only to play a smaller city three nights in a row.

Maybe they mean the tour will begin in Adelaide, continue onto other cities (Sydney, Brisbane and Perth most likey) and finish in Melbourne.
*shrugs*

Here's hoping...

Reactions: Profanity
I'd say it fits about 800 people but I'm not sure. It's a great venue, I saw Soilwork there last month and it's very easy to get to the front and you can see easily from everywhere because it's fairly small. The only bad thing is that the sound guys kept pushing the sound up so loud that it ended up sounding like shit. Although since Opeth are doing all soft stuff there it should be great.

I've been bugging them to give me dates for over a week now... which might have something to do with the fact that the dates that are confirmed so far are posted and not the un-confirmed ones... instead of waiting for the whole set.

I would think at this stage it's most likely to be Two Sydney Gigs and a Brisbane Gig in the spare days between the Adelaide and Melbourne gigs... but we shall see.........

Just some food for thought:

The reason they're playing 3 Melbourne shows might be to record a live album. The only reason I can think of as to why they'd be playing 3 shows is so they have 3 versions of each song from which to pick the best take.

Blabbermouth had this tacked onto the end of the story about the upcoming DVD:

A two-CD live album will also be issued in the coming months.
Does that mean it's a CD of the same gig that was filmed for the DVD or something seperate? If it's not the Shephard's Bush gig, it would be very likely that the Melbourne show will become the live album.

And also, will this be part of the Damnation tour or a mixture of heavy and soft?

plattopus said:
The reason they're playing 3 Melbourne shows might be to record a live album. The only reason I can think of as to why they'd be playing 3 shows is so they have 3 versions of each song from which to pick the best take.
As mentioned on the website, they've already started mixing the live album. So unless they developed some sort of time machine between recording albums, I'd say it's pretty unlikely the live album was recorded in Melbourne.

I'm no expert, but the reason for three shows in Melbourne may simply be;
i. Opeth like Melbourne
ii. Melbourne like Opeth
iii. Sydney is gay

On the opeth.com site for ages it said "An Australian Damnation tour will take place in December" but now that they've announced the dates they haven't said what kinda show it will be. Expect a Damnation one though since they were here in April for Deliverance.

If the two-CD live album will be issued in the coming months then wouldn't they have already recorded it? I think it'll most likely be the same as the DVD although it'd be awesome if they did play a heavy set here and recorded it. That'd be funkin funkin great.