News about Australian tour

curbstone said:
News on opeth.com has been updated.

Only mentions one Adelaide show and three shows in Melbourne to finish...

i really hope this is not the case...I was hoping to go to Brisbane and Sydney...

Cheers

Paul D.
Hey Paul, are you going to the sydney and brisbane shows? I'll likely be going to both again. Do you know if Mick is planning to come down?

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Fucking disappointing that Perth isn't included. DIdn't they learn the last time...
It still might be announced soon...

Having seen that one of the Melbourne shows is all-ages, that makes a lot more sense.... maybe they'd planned to have 2 Melbourne shows, but thought it might be an idea to have an all-ages show as well, so they tacked it onto the end.

*MaDRiGaL* said:
does anyone know much about the Hi-Fi bar?
like how many people it fits?
Judas Pissed was close, officially it used to be able to hold 900 although they recently had some renovations, so I don't know whether that's changed or not.

Would be fucking sweet if they played 2 different sets for the two 18+ shows... :D Although I wonder what Australian band would be appropriate to support a Damnation tour, if that were the case.

sydney is gay?!??
WTF???
this coming from a city that cancelled destruction of oz :p
and i think we sold out before u's so SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
sif 3 shows there and none announced yet here

i hear rumours of 2 shows here
better happen

Jeez, biiiiitttttteeeeeerrrrrr.... hehehe

Sydney would most likely get two shows, it's both strange and cool that bands seem to be booking more than 1 show in Melbourne lately - the geek show is playing two nights here.

i wish someone good will support
flesh mechanic were crap for opeth support
and alchemist's new stuff is just soft...
im hoping either
The butterfly Effect
Cog
Lycanthia
Stone Wings
any of those 4 will be great
or just go outta genre and get dungeon to support
lol, aus tours have been known for the weirdest supports
such as
Mayhem and Dungeon... wtf...
Cradle of Filth abd Psi.Kore...
wtf...
FrankenBok with Soilwork... wtf......
wtf wtf wtf wtf :yell:

plattopus said:
Just some food for thought:

The reason they're playing 3 Melbourne shows might be to record a live album. The only reason I can think of as to why they'd be playing 3 shows is so they have 3 versions of each song from which to pick the best take.
Actually, I can think of a couple of perfectly legitimate reasons as to why there are three gigs in Melbourne to round out the tour.

plattopus said:
Does that mean it's a CD of the same gig that was filmed for the DVD or something seperate? If it's not the Shephard's Bush gig, it would be very likely that the Melbourne show will become the live album.

And also, will this be part of the Damnation tour or a mixture of heavy and soft?
Sydo said:
As mentioned on the website, they've already started mixing the live album. So unless they developed some sort of time machine between recording albums, I'd say it's pretty unlikely the live album was recorded in Melbourne.
Actually, it just says 'They've started mixing'..... but then goes onto refer the the DVD, I believe you'll find this means they were refering to the mixing of the DVD (considering at one point they were considering trying to get it out by November). That and the fact that since at this stage the Live CD is only a 'RUMOUR', they are far from likely to announce that they've begun mixing on it before it becomes 'official'.

As for the contents of the live CD, considering that this is likely to be the first official live recording by the band (and may stand alone as a live album on it's own for a while), you would think that they'd want to cover more than just the Damnation set. And again, as they had the recording equipment at the time, it is still most likely that it will be a mixed CD (remember as it's tentatively a double CD, which would approximate the length of the Shepards Bush Gig Set), and seeing as the only time in recent history they played a mixed set at was a Shepards.... you do the math.

However, while it is less likely that the live album will be recorded at the Hi-Fi, I wouldn't rule it out... completely.

Judas Pissed said:
On the opeth.com site for ages it said "An Australian Damnation tour will take place in December" but now that they've announced the dates they haven't said what kinda show it will be. Expect a Damnation one though since they were here in April for Deliverance.
Ummmmm, not to spoil anyones wishful thinking.... but you DO realise that Opeth are at the tag end of there DAMNATION (D2) tour...... as when they passed through last time they were at the end of the DELIVERANCE tour? :err:

The only exception to this was made as Shepards Bush for the purpose of recording the live DVD, not much point in realsing a one album DVD on Debut with such a hefty back-catalogue now, is it?

I'll look into it and see wahat I can find out though.....

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Fucking disappointing that Perth isn't included. DIdn't they learn the last time...
plattopus said:
It still might be announced soon...

Having seen that one of the Melbourne shows is all-ages, that makes a lot more sense.... maybe they'd planned to have 2 Melbourne shows, but thought it might be an idea to have an all-ages show as well, so they tacked it onto the end.
Again, in case you weren't reading, I was hastling webmaster :oops: :erk: (and they were listening) to publish dates ASAP, as I need to know in advance to increase my chances of making it South to catch 'em again. I was told that they had tentative dates, but that they couldn't be released till they were confirmed. I believe you will find that THIS is why half the confirmed dates were released in advance.... and that the rest are on the way (one would assume that it is most likely to be either one Sydney, one Brisbane, and one Perth gig, or alternatively, 2 Sydney's and 1 Brisbane... to fill in the remaining three days).

Of course it's still possible that the announced dates are the sum total of the tour... but I find this to be highly unlikely.

Again, I'll aks to get this cleared up.

Dark Inspirations said:
Do you guys think the gigs will be mainly seated due to been a tour for Damnation, maybe they will serve cocktails? Should be an interesting tour!
Dunno, perhaps we should ask other people who have attended gigs on this tour, like saaaay, the amenemericans? ;)

Or you could ask anyone that is a regular at any of the Oz venues... see if they've ever had seated gigs before... or even if they have/have access to sufficient seating.

Katatonic289 said:
John Butler Trio can support :lol:
Oddly enough, that was the first thing that came to my mind as being the most appropriate band. :oops:

Not neccesarily saying that it's still appropriate... it's kinda hard to think of a band suited to this tour.... :confused:

Oh, and JBT will still most likely be Touring with Powerfinger anyway....... so it's not going to be an issue regardless.

Spike said:
Ummmmm, not to spoil anyones wishful thinking.... but you DO realise that Opeth are at the tag end of there DAMNATION (D2) tour...... as when they passed through last time they were at the end of the DELIVERANCE tour? :err:

I think everyone realises they're coming here for Damnation but are hoping for a heavy set too. I said myself to expect a Damnation show so why did you quote me saying that then act like I'm a retard?

Spike said:
Actually, I can think of a couple of perfectly legitimate reasons as to why there are three gigs in Melbourne to round out the tour.
Yes, well I wrote that before I knew one was an all-ages show.

Again, in case you weren't reading, I was hastling webmaster :oops: :erk: (and they were listening) to publish dates ASAP, as I need to know in advance to increase my chances of making it South to catch 'em again. I was told that they had tentative dates, but that they couldn't be released till they were confirmed. I believe you will find that THIS is why half the confirmed dates were released in advance.... and that the rest are on the way (one would assume that it is most likely to be either one Sydney, one Brisbane, and one Perth gig, or alternatively, 2 Sydney's and 1 Brisbane... to fill in the remaining three days).
Firstly, chill on the condescending remarks. Maybe we're not all massive Opeth info-banks like those more fortunate than us, but that doesn't mean you can talk down to us. We can still contemplate the possible tour situations, whether or not you deem them to be 'likely'.

Now... I was saying to the person that was wondering if there would be a Perth show that it could still be announced in the future. I know it's not really that likely, because there's a good chance the 3 days between Adelaide and Melbourne will be spent with two nights in Sydney and one in Brisbane, but we simply don't know until it's confirmed.

i wish someone good will support
flesh mechanic were crap for opeth support
and alchemist's new stuff is just soft...
im hoping either
The butterfly Effect
[snip]
While I do love TBE, they're much too heavy and energetic for a support slot on a Damnation show. It would be a standing show for the support act then they'd bring out the seating for the headliner... just wouldn't work.

There aren't really any bands I can think of who would be good support bands...

Spike said:
Or you could ask anyone that is a regular at any of the Oz venues... see if they've ever had seated gigs before... or even if they have/have access to sufficient seating.
The Hi-Fi never has seated shows, as nice as that would've been. The Corner Hotel (where they played last) does that, but they can only fit in about 250 people when they do that.

Supports? Ehh if they're doing Damnation stuff I reckon get Chalice again, or Virgin Black.

plattopus said:
Firstly, chill on the condescending remarks. Maybe we're not all massive Opeth info-banks like those more fortunate than us, but that doesn't mean you can talk down to us. We can still contemplate the possible tour situations, whether or not you deem them to be 'likely'.

Yeah, jeeeeez...

Hey Cutter,

How's things?

The plan is for me to come down to both Brisbane and Sydney shows. I'll let you know the details when the shows are confirmed (if?)...

As for Mick...I don't know...I doubt it for some reason...but I'm yet to ask him....again, I'll let you know...

Cheers

Paul

Judas Pissed said:
I think everyone realises they're coming here for Damnation but are hoping for a heavy set too. I said myself to expect a Damnation show so why did you quote me saying that then act like I'm a retard?
Sorry, it's just that a few of the things I mentioned were blatantly overlooked in my previous posts, I got a little carried away in correcting things......I actually intended to include plattopus' comment (listed below) in that passage as well:

plattopus said:
And also, will this be part of the Damnation tour or a mixture of heavy and soft?
I only lumped you in with him cos of this comment:

Judas Pissed said:
......but now that they've announced the dates they haven't said what kinda show it will be......
Because they have announced what kind of show it will be, as it's part of the D2 tour.

Again, sorry for any misinterpretation on my behalf.

plattopus said:
Yes, well I wrote that before I knew one was an all-ages show.
That's not the reason I was thinking of..... but yes, that is another feasible explanation.

plattopus said:
Again, I'm sorry man, I just don't particularily appreciate it when I provide information quoting a reliable source, and am then promptly ignored, but I'll get over it..........

.....Please, feel free to speculate away.

Chow Mai Dong said:
The Hi-Fi never has seated shows, as nice as that would've been. The Corner Hotel (where they played last) does that, but they can only fit in about 250 people when they do that.

Supports? Ehh if they're doing Damnation stuff I reckon get Chalice again, or Virgin Black.
Thanks for the heads up regarding seating. :)

Actually, to be honest, VB never really occured to me, but they'd make a pretty good support act for a D2 tour. Sure there'd be a contrast....... but at least VB isn't quite as energetic as some other possible suggestions.

I was going to discount their availability straight away though, as they already have 3 Gigs lined up in Mid-November in Brisvegas... and are looking into covering the other capitals at a later date.

So while that makes VB support in Brissy a long shot, the other gigs aren't out of the question. Actually, that raises some interesting possibilities........ might just make a few enquiries with Sam. ;)

hibernal_dream said:
Brisbane has a decent sized metal community for its size. They would have to be stupid to book three shows in Melbourne and not go to Sydney at all.
What he said.