News about the CD

nice update, and glad to hear the track list is bs. Of all the things to write about anyway, why Odin?

Either or, looking forward to what we hear next :) Sounds like its shaping up nicely though!

I do have one question about the update, I wonder what Romeo means by "the new album has been, by far, more work (and harder work) than any other album, period." Not to start some sort of flame war, but just curious. If its a 'life' is busy so its been very difficult/time consuming to get done. Or have the been doing some awesome new symphony x stuff. The fact that Romeo says that though, does make me hopeful that they arnt rehashing old paradise lost material :)

I think MJR was referring to PL being such a critical success, and finding the inspiration and dedication to provide a worthy successor has been both daunting and difficult. I know a lot of musicians who find it incredibly stressful trying to write the worthy successor to a great album - to the point where many write dozens of songs, hate every one, and quit a band.

These guys also have real jobs, and real families. These things will ALWAYS come before their talents and hobbies. Remember that guys.

So did any of you ask anything for the FAQ? I asked about the SX DVD and if they will ever play the entire V album in concert. I know they get sick of the DVD question, but I know no name crap bands who have released live DVD's. If they can, there is no reason why SX can't.

Yeah, I asked if they will ever play live with an orchestra, good question I think :Smokin:.

Those song names & info are BS, btw. The new cd is not about Odin.

That was obvious :cool:

Anyway, about the new cd, PL was heavy but still very good, even if it had some very, very extreme riffs there but I hope that the new album has a better balance.
These guys also have real jobs, and real families. These things will ALWAYS come before their talents and hobbies. Remember that guys.

Really? Don't SX make their living just out of the band at this point? After all, they had a huge tour with PL didn't they?
It would be hard to manage a job with the tour I think.

The Symphony X members don't have those jobs anymore. That info is out of date... but listen here... I found the guitar center where Mike Pinella used to work. I called them asking for him since I'm such a fanboy (lol Jax if you told him this he'd laugh).

Here is how it went:

"Can I speak with Mike Pinella?"
"He hasn't worked here in years"
"um... where do you think he is?"
"probably with his band touring or something along those lines... how come?"
"well... you see I'm an old personal friend of his... I'll probably just... email my old buddy or something like that" *EHEM*
"well you have a nice day"
"bye"

Again, I know of many no-name crap emo bands that make a living off constantly touring, but they are usually young college kids with nothing to lose. SX on the other hand are middle aged and have families. They must have some kind of side job.

I do have one question about the update, I wonder what Romeo means by "the new album has been, by far, more work (and harder work) than any other album, period." Not to start some sort of flame war, but just curious. If its a 'life' is busy so its been very difficult/time consuming to get done. Or have the been doing some awesome new symphony x stuff. The fact that Romeo says that though, does make me hopeful that they arnt rehashing old paradise lost material :)

Given that Romeo engineers everything, I would imagine that he is simply referring to the man-hours it takes to do a 70+ track song (maybe more depending on the song itself.) Times that by 8 or 10 songs on the album and there is a crap load of work.

Not sure if anybody else here has taken the "recording hobby plunge," but I certainly have, and can attest to the RIDICULOUS amount of time it can take for even a single song to be complete. I record my friends/myself, and even with 20-30 tracks a song, I find it overwhelming. With that in mind, I think that Symphony X has got to be one of the most difficult bands to engineer. Those orchestral arrangements are no joke - to actually put "The Odyssey" successfully on Nuendo (which I believe is what they use to record) shows Romeo's tremendous recording skills. Thank God (for Romeo's sake) that they ship their stuff to be mixed by an outside source. Can you imagine trying to EQ all that?

I would die to get my hands on an old Nuendo session from them. I love the recording process, so to even get a glimpse of how they accomplish what they do would be awesome.

SO excited for the new CD. Can't wait for the title and track names!

I usually only use 4 or 5 tracks per song. SX take themselves way too seriously.

Having one track per instrument may work for a crappy home recording, but not really for a studio-level track. You probably don't use separate multi-layer tracks (such as multi-layer rhythm tracks), overdubbing tracks, midi tracks, midi automation tracks, effect send tracks, and mixing tracks, etc. All of this for each single instrument, and you have like 6 instruments (guitars, bass, drums, vocals, keyboards, and orchestra), do the math. :)

a) GREAT recordings CAN be done with as little as a track per instrument, albeit not really in this genre.

b) I suspect he probably was joking with that statement.

Having one track per instrument may work for a crappy home recording, but not really for a studio-level track. You probably don't use separate multi-layer tracks (such as multi-layer rhythm tracks), overdubbing tracks, midi tracks, midi automation tracks, effect send tracks, and mixing tracks, etc. All of this for each single instrument, and you have like 6 instruments (guitars, bass, drums, vocals, keyboards, and orchestra), do the math. :)

8 tracks is all you need, even that's pushing it IMO

SX may have their own way of recording, but generally, is all that extra stuff really necessary? Is it going to make the song that much better? Most people didn't seem to enjoy PL very much. Had there been more tracks, would it have been a bigger hit?

Also, do SX realize that probably more than half of the people who listen to their albums download them for free as low quality 128 kpbs files?