Next announcement...

Pain of Salvation as a headliner is a really, really, really, bad idea. And I don't just say that because I don't like them. I say that because a LOT of people don't like them. What kind of headliner would cause a third of the crowd to head for the exits? They've had that reaction both times they've played. I did my shopping during their set at PP5, and when I came back they still had about 30 minutes to go. Which was good, because I wanted a good seat for Edguy and there were plenty open.

Not that I'm sure they aren't incredibly talented. And I know they have a very dedicated fanbase. But if you put 1000 random metalheads in one room(say, in Atlanta), half aren't going to like them and half are going to love them. I would think a headliner should have more mass appeal.

They played PPUSA 3 times and the first one was their best performance and it was awesome...Like I said previously, something changed for me seeing them for the 3rd time, I guess I am just not into the new stuff...

I think someone is completely ignoring Glenn's clues. And now with Glenn saying he is waiting to hear back from the band, I would think SX is another one that would be a quick yes responce once any negotiating was done since they'd played 3 PPs already. It sounds like someone he has to work on for why they should come to PP.
And Into Eternity is a waste of a headline spot to me. Not only do they tour way too much (I don't care if it's only a 30 min set each time), they're constantly shifting members.

I'm regarding Glenn's clues quite carefully. I think you're the one who needs to take another look at what he's saying though. He's not waiting to hear back from the band, he's waiting for a CONFIRMATION. It is complete bullshit to think that the band management for a Prog Power debut would be somehow that much harder to get in touch with than the management of a band who has already played Prog Power.

What Glenn is waiting for is a confirmation, meaning that the band and their management have to discuss what their plans are for that time since they might be on tour or in the studio (depending on the band).

As for your thought of Into Eternity being a waste of a headline spot: that's fine, but they are invalid excuses that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. They have just come off a major tour, with more touring plans in sight, and have been generating some buzz for their new album. If they were ever to play Prog Power again, they could easily headline.

I meant to write had to work on. I know he's done negotiating. I still believe that a band with an established relationship at PP would be pretty quick in their final decision (Especially a US based band) as opposed to a band that maybe is making their US debut.

If my point is invalid on Into Eternity why bring up that they just came off of a major tour? It fully supports my point about them touring the US a lot. Plus, if you have a band rotating members all the time, giving them a headlining slot for a show 10 months away could mean a very different lineup. For a headliner, that matters a whole hell of a lot. And we've got too many repeats already, which has been brough up several times in various threads. If Glenn had to go with another repeat, I think a lot of people would prefer a band that hasn't played over 100x in the US in 2 years (their last PP appearance) and won't likely be on a few more tours before the next one.

I think that there is something off the wall here. If Glenn is into heavy duty negotiations with a band over a CO-HEADLINER spot, it is over money. I have a very funny feeling that he might be pushing for a similar deal that Legion of Hetheria had with Metal Female Vocal Fest where the Mexican Symph metallists paid their own travel expenses and miscellaneous costs and they got a decent fee to play.

Folks, if it is such, can one see Taiwan's Seraphim as the co-headliner?

They fit the clues.

Peace,
Ray C.

I'm really hoping for Nocturnal Rites. They have atleast 7 studio release, so they not only have the fan base but the catalog too. One other band to Headline that have a huge fan base that no one seems to be talking about is HAMMERFALL. Did I miss a post that has ruled them out of the question?

I would also like to ad that Brainstorm could headline, and would definitely kick major ass. The performance they gave at PPV was simply worthy of a return headline spot.

Angra is touring with firewind you say....

and firewind is coming to progpower 8 you say...

and the saturday night headliner hasn't been announced you say....

hmmm.....

Assuming Glenn gets the band that he is negotiating with, one can assume that by his hints:

1. It may be controversial.
3. Sometimes you have to create headliners instead of booking headliners.

...he means:

• That it may be a band that wouldn't normally be qualified/widely accpeted for a slot that high. But, being that he said "may be controversial" and not "will be controversial" it may not be one that would be widely considered only a slot #1 or #2. Therefore, it may one that would normally be qualified/widely accepted for a slot #3 or #4. I often read posts where people say that slot 3 and 4 bands are of headliner caliber.
  • Or by "may be controversial", he may mean that the band is outside the sub-genres that Glenn usually books. Therefore it may be an oddball.
  • That it won't be a returning band that has been of headliner caliber, but one that has the potential to become/molded into one. But, that doesn't exclude returning bands that aren't currently considered/widely accepted to be qualified to headline/co-headline.

If we limit and expand our educated guesses to these parameters, we can better guess the last band. So in other words, as much as we may want Symphony X, Brainstorm, Angra, etc...to be Saturday's slot #5, they don't fit within the parameters of Glenn's hints, because they are already headliner caliber. Of course, if those negotiations fall through, those hints may no longer apply, then Brainstorm (they've released an album since they played last and are on tour now) and Symphony X (they should release a new album in 2007 and plan a NA tour) and other headling caliber repeats may be great candidates. Also, fresh blood, of headliner caliber, would qualify.

I am hoping it is After Forever. Troyandapril-you bring up a good band-Hammerfall. I haven't seen them discussed much either. I think they are good established band, but some people probably don't care for them. So they could qualify as controversial.

^^ (Unca Kev) Makes alot of sense, but two things:

1) I don't see how people can find Brainstorm to be a headliner status band anywhere in the world, let alone in the USA. Especially headliner status over Primal Fear. I know Glenn was talking about how people might think that this year's Saturday Night headliner might not be big enough to headline over PF, but Brainstorm is pushing it.

2) If I remember correctly, Glenn said that he now has a "2 year policy" with booking bands and does not book a band who has played the festival within the last 2 years. If this is true, we can count Angra out.

Glenn: I do not know what goes on in your mind when you choose bands, so I can only assume that the higher slots are generally chosen by international status and popularity in comparison to the smaller slots. I did not say that I think Into Eternity has the best chance of being booked or that they would make a better headliner than anyone else. I did however say that they would be my guess. Compared to Falconer, I would definitely say that Into Eternity would have a much higher chance of being booked for a headline show hypothetically- but that's neither here nor there.

I did however say that they would be my guess. Compared to Falconer, I would definitely say that Into Eternity would have a much higher chance of being booked for a headline show hypothetically- but that's neither here nor there.
I think you're losing site of the obvious; Into Eternity tours constantly. If people want to see them, they can do so, many times a year. To that end, people aren't going to fly to Atlanta to see them. Second, I think you're overestimating their status, both in the U.S. and abroad. Into Eternity is not a band who does headline tours. On every tour I've ever seen them on (and I've seen them 5 times), they've never been anything but an opening band. Lastly, they're awful live. And when I say they're awful live, bear in mind, I'm speaking as someone who loves their music. I have all thier CDs. I think "Buried" is flat out brilliant. However, they simply don't translate live. They're sloppy and lack energy. You can attribute to this to the constant turnover within the band or the fact that they get sick more often than a classroom full of 3rd Graders during flu season. But that doesn't change the end result.

Zod

Head over to the Iced Earth forum to put those notions to rest.

whoa, there's an official Iced Earth forum again? Where? I want to go there and make some "Bring Back Barlow!!!!" and "Jon is a riff recycler" threads.

Back on topic, by "create a headliner", Glenn is obviously referring to his efforts to create a one-off supergroup called Icedd Urth, featuring

Matt Barlow - vocals
Randy Shawver - guitar
Larry Tarnowski - guitar
James MacDonough - bass
Mike McGill - drums

McGill is the one holding out, he wants to be paid with three cases of Hamm's, Glenn's only offering two.

Too bad they wouldn't be playing any of this though.

Remember when the last band was going to be announced in February or something? Ha!

Neil

I think you're losing site of the obvious; Into Eternity tours constantly. If people want to see them, they can do so, many times a year. To that end, people aren't going to fly to Atlanta to see them. Second, I think you're overestimating their status, both in the U.S. and abroad. Into Eternity is not a band who does headline tours. On every tour I've ever seen them on (and I've seen them 5 times), they've never been anything but an opening band. Lastly, they're awful live. And when I say they're awful live, bear in mind, I'm speaking as someone who loves their music. I have all thier CDs. I think "Buried" is flat out brilliant. However, they simply don't translate live. They're sloppy and lack energy. You can attribute to this to the constant turnover within the band or the fact that they get sick more often than a classroom full of 3rd Graders during flu season. But that doesn't change the end result.

Zod

Ahh... the Nevermore syndrome.