NHL 2014

Kara-Shehr

Sep 2, 2010
I guess we should start another thread, I was just going to bump the 2013 one but it's not 2013 anymore so I decided not to. The olympics are finally over and the NHL should be getting back into the swing of things again here pretty soon. The playoffs are right around the corner and I'm hoping for an early Bruins exit and hopefully the pens don't piss the bed again. I'm also curious to see how the players adjust to normal hockey again after the olympic break.

Apparently they don't adjust very well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/25/s...p-nhl-teams-may-decline-after-sochi.html?_r=1

Several playoff contenders — the Chicago Blackhawks, the St. Louis Blues, the Montreal Canadiens, the Anaheim Ducks, the Vancouver Canucks, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Rangers — sent seven or more players to the Sochi Olympics.
Still, a little-noticed 2012 study may provide such evidence: It found that for every player an N.H.L. club sent to the Olympics, the club’s goal differential dropped by 0.088 of a goal per game compared with its performance before the Games. That is to say, clubs that sent many players to the Olympics in 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010 suffered a bigger performance drop-off, on the whole, than clubs that sent few players.

The study, conducted by the University of Massachusetts professor Neil Longley and published in The International Journal of Sport Finance, is believed to be the only one to quantify the Olympic fatigue effect on N.H.L. clubs during the run to the playoffs.

“It could be physical fatigue; it could be emotional fatigue — we can’t really answer that question,” Longley said in a telephone interview. “There could be an energizing effect to being at the Olympics. But the numbers show that the more Olympians an N.H.L. team supplies, the greater its post-Olympic drop-off relative to its pre-Olympic performance.”

Per player?

Send six players and that is a decrease of .528 goals per game

Somehow defenseman and forwards aren't differentiated in that stat? It's bogus. Nevermind the fact that 70% of the NHL stays back and can recover from nagging injuries, their effect is not quantified.

Penguins are fucked at the trade deadline, everyone is injured and gets payed way too much. Not to mention they blew all their draft picks on Iginla. I have a feeling we'll see some surprising trades though. I can see Buffalo trading their whole team away lol. At least trade Miller, get him the hell out of there before he kills someone.