Nicklasson Out of the Band!

Villain

Doctor BenQuillity
May 7, 2001
Finland
Visit site
From the official DT site:

D.T. has parted ways with longtime bass player Michael Nicklasson. All booked shows will go on as scheduled with a session bassist. We thank Michael for his time in the band and wish him the best of luck in future endeavours. Here is a statement from him. After almost 10 years and tons of tours and festivals, I chose to leave D.T. for personal reasons. It's been so cool all this time to meet all the people and the tons of fans around the world, and all the friends that I got during this amazing journey - crew, fans and all the people I (we) worked with. I can't name everyone, as the list would take up all the space on the web site, but I'm going to miss all of you that worked and supported us (me) during these years, but this is the right thing to do, I really need a break.
There are no hard feelings in the band, it's a thing that we all felt was the best for D.T.. Now I'm going to kick back for a while, and then I'll see what's in the future for me. I wish the best for the rest off the boys in my old crew, and to all: I'm coming back in one way or another......thanx to all off you! Cheers!
/mickey

This is truly a pity, he was a very important part of their stage-presence. I have said it before, I kind of preferred Henriksson's unique style of playing on the first four albums over Nicklasson's basslines on the later ones, but in live-situation Micke was the better bassist - unlike some über-technical stuff that is often barely audible and bores the audience, his playing was straightforward, intense and flawless to my ears at least. Combined with his funny personality and natural charisma, he often competed with Stanne for the most energetic performance of the night.

Not to forget his contributions to songs like Indifferent Suns, Hours Passed in Exile, The Enemy, Ex Nihilo, The New Build, Out of Nothing, Dry Run, My Negation and The Lesser Faith. Of the four full-length albums he did with the band, Character was probably the one that would have been far weaker without him. I hope whoever replaces him on tour becomes a permanent member of the band quickly. Although I certainly would've preferred to see Nicklasson one more time for a special farewell-show.

But while it's sad to see him leave, it's nice to know it happens on good terms and that he seems to feel rather positive about his future. Whatever musical paths he will pursue from now on, I'm certainly interested.

Good luck, Micke! Hopefully we'll see again!

-Villain

Voe paska. It's always crap to see a long-time member leave the band...it's true, on album he wasn't that prominent, but obviously he was present in the songwriting process so he's part of the reason why DT's albums are so good. He was just awesome live though, always singing lyrics and he has a great presence somehow. Oh well, at least I had the chance to talk to him after the gig last year.

Good luck with everything non-DT in the future. :)

Bad news indeed. Nicklasson did have a lot to do about DT v2.0...as Villain already said, he's been great both on and off the stage, contributing to the ever-evolving music of the band and to shows. Having never seen DT live without him I can only say that things will never be the same now. I can only hope the band will be able to find someone to replace him which will be able to offer an energy and a presence not similar but still as strong as his.

Farewell Michael!

Goodbye Michael.:)

Met the band in the concert in Beijing, Michael really impressed me.

494836ph2.jpg

494818ad4.jpg

4871yf4.jpg

494822wb6.jpg

Wish Michael the best of luck for the future
Got to meet and talk to him several times over the years, great guy
Its going to take a little(lot) to get used to not seeing him on stage with DT
His stage presence was second to none
At least it sounds as if the partnership ended on friendly basis?
Keep rockn' Mickey, I shall remember You always
Thanks for all the great music
'til we meet again :)

Well...

I was drinking till 6:10 AM last night - just got 2 cases of Hoegaarden and Stella, watching movies, playing golf on PS3, passed out right on my room's floor, and when I got up at 8:30 to take a major piss, Ughi was like "Michael Nicklasson is out of dt", I'm "Oh yeah? WTF???"

Then I went back to bed and woke up at around 1500 and thought that was a dream, but decided to check the dtofficial anyway, and well, it was there :-/

Also, the reason why I was drinking by myself till wee hours - my dear friend and drinking buddy, a single mother with such great ass (and other body parts of greatness no less) you would never believe, split for California [edit: without warning], so when I called her last night she was around Missouri driving like there's no tomorrow.

Looks like it's 0:2 for me :Smug:

I'm still drinking though, which means life goes on :kickass:

Oh snap, when I first heard someone was out I was scared it was someone like Henriksson or even Stanne, but then I realized that would probably never happen. It's too bad though that he had to leave, I do remember seeing them live and he was definitely an integral part of the show.

I read the news yesterday.. what should I say, this is a very bad one. I'm sorry Micke is out, DT have lost a very important stage presence, full of joy, energy and with a special feeling with the audiences all around the world. Too bad he left a couple of weeks before recording the new DT dvd, this is truly the worst part :(

No session bassist will be like Micke... :( most bass players have no personality, Micke was an exception to that. And I bet DT will really miss this feature! :(

While I fully agree, I must say there's also a chance of things turning out even better than what they used to be. This is the third time there's been a member-change in the history of the band, and I'd say the previous two have both been for the better in the long run. I know bassists like Nicklasson are rare, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new guy, whoever he might be, brought a whole bunch of great new things to the band, both on stage and on record.

I think the most important thing now for the band is to find a new permanent member, not just a series of session bass-players for touring (on studio, I bet Henriksson could still play all the bass-parts himself). Nicklasson was very important for the band, but so was Johansson for his time and yet nobody really misses him anymore.

Also, am I the only one thinking of the possibility that they might once again recruit from within the band? If finding a skilled guitarist was easier than finding a dedicated bassist, could Henriksson switch back to bass once again? I doubt he wants that himself, but I know there are a few fans who might like it a lot.

Anyways, it is far too early to tell how this fourth line-up of the band will be and what changes it may bring to their sound and song-writing, but I'm rather optimistic about it.

-Villain

Worries me, yet at the same time the last time a DT member left for personal reasons great things came out of it in the end. I hope no one else in the band feels burnt out ( at least thats the impression I get from his comments ).

Good luck to anyone involved and I hope the future bass player will be an adequate replacement. I am sure he will be though.

Sad news indeed :cry: .

The funny thing is that I knew that this was going to happen sooner or later. He has diabetes, and for me it is really amazing how much he stayed in the band despite the circumstances.

I have Type 1 diabetes (I guess he has Type 2) so believe me when I tell you that it is tough. I do not really know how he managed to stay in the band for so long, I thought that he was going to leave it a couple of months after they said the announcement.

I think it is for the best, I am pretty sure the touring really hit him, so it is better for him to take care of his health :) .

It's a pity that he could not stay until the DVD was recorded though :erk: .

He certainly is a great bass-player, truly an inspiration (I am a bass-player too) :kickass: .

I will always remember that he had a great presence on stage, he always moved a lot and screamed and raised his hands. For me he was the one who had more on-stage presence (next to Mikael).

I am glad that I could met him, he certainly is a great person :) .

Good-bye Mickey! Rock-on! :headbang:

- Daniel

P.S.: It would be very interesting if Martin H. returned to the bass, although I do not think that will happen.

I wonder who is the session player? Maybe Fredrick Johansson? :lol:

I am very curious to see who will be the new member....