Night and the Silent Water Live

Kir-ir-Bannog

...no ordinary rabbit
Jul 2, 2004
Cambridge, UK
...doesn't work well at all IMO. Its nice of them to play something that the fans obviously request quite a lot, but to me its pretty fucken obvious why mike and peter "hate it" so much...its quite dull. The crowd around me were totally non-plused with it. So many other great tracks (Moonlapse spring to mind) they could play.

I love it on the record, but live? Nah. Inclusion on the dvd? Nah.

Perhaps last nights rendition was a little off....not being able to hear Peter very well was probably a big factor considering the harmonies required.

opinions?

Enter Pethical!

Hehe, Melbourne 2 got it this time around. Ask Tom.

hahah beat me to it.

TNATSW is a great track although i do prefer it on record as to live, and would choose something like the apostle in triumph if i was to choose the setlist for the dvd. but if its on there, no problems with me.

...doesn't work well at all IMO. Its nice of them to play something that the fans obviously request quite a lot, but to me its pretty fucken obvious why mike and peter "hate it" so much...its quite dull. The crowd around me were totally non-plused with it. So many other great tracks (Moonlapse spring to mind) they could play.

Perhaps last nights rendition was a little off....not being able to hear Peter very well was probably a big factor considering the harmonies required.

opinions?

Actually, Mike seems to love the track live (hes stated it before), yet still hates the studio version (i think), odd.

Having not seen it live, i wouldnt be able to offer a truthful opinion. I'll try and find it on youtube.

When this was played at the Chicago chronology show, it was absolutely amazing live, as was their entire set.

I thought playing that song turned that gig from brilliant to definately the best Opeth concert ever. I never liked the song much before but live it was made a truly emotional experience. Mike even played a few seconds of Camel! When was also really magical live, I love the fact that they can still play songs that old at their shows. I am a very happy man right now!

Mikael apparently doesn't hate it that much anymore, because on his biography he now mentions it as one of his favourite opeth tracks (live, not the version on morningrise) ...

I would love to hear it live! and yes perhaps it's not fit to go insane on and stuff, but it's so beautiful ...

opinions?

You're lucky! And are you saying it's on the DVD??? I haven't got GR special edition yet. Anyway, I don't know about Peter, but Mike likes the song. He USED to not like it. What do you mean about the crowd? It's a slow song, don't expect a moshpit to break out! Doesn't mean people aren't enjoying it.

You're lucky! And are you saying it's on the DVD??? I haven't got GR special edition yet. Anyway, I don't know about Peter, but Mike likes the song. He USED to not like it. What do you mean about the crowd? It's a slow song, don't expect a moshpit to break out! Doesn't mean people aren't enjoying it.

No, its what people were saying around me. Quite a few said it was nice but they would have prefered a different song. Also, there were lots of people just talking through it, i could hear them (when the acoustic passages were being played), this indicated that they weren't exactly paying attention or totally absorbed by it. Same happened in Face Of Melinda for some Bizarre reason....There was hardly any moshpit in the entirety of the gig fyi.
Mike said the setlist would probably end up on the dvd so.........

I dunno. Im hoping i will proved wrong at the Roundhouse tomorrow (assuming they keep to the same songs), hopefully the guitars will be more balanced.

Mike: "You know a song we did on Morningrise that was like 20 mins long? Yeah thats right Black Rose Immortal. Well we're not going to play it....Its a shit song. People think its good, but thats just because its long, but that doesn't mean its good. Its shit."

eheh.

Mike: "You know a song we did on Morningrise that was like 20 mins long? Yeah thats right Black Rose Immortal. Well we're not going to play it....Its a shit song. People think its good, but thats just because its long, but that doesn't mean its good. Its shit."

eheh.

LOL to that one! Did that comment really happen?