Night Is The New Day

Got the album a day or two ago..still a little confused that i was actually holding NEW Katatonia in my hands..I'm still digesting it, and I think I will be for a long time, but the first impression it left me with has been a pleasing one...

..so far Forsaker, The Longest Year, Liberation, The Promise of Deceit, and Day and Then the Shade jumped out to me the most on the initial listen, although I've enjoyed every track i can tell this is gonna be a grower and it'll take some time. There's definitely a lot more variety than on TCGD (although I did LOVE that album a lot), more like the TGCD b-sides.

..I'm liking the subtle electronic elements of the music as well, it's nice to hear more programmed beats and stuff in Katatonia's music because the stuff they do these days works so well with it, really adds to the whole feeling and imagery of cities, etc which has been in their artwork for some time now...and speaking of artwork, all the artwork on this album is really well done. Also all the little lyrical references to other songs..."month of July"..."Dreams of sleepers"...."the unforgiving voice"...etc, really cool!

This is actually the first time Katatonia has released a *new* album since I've been into them (I became a fan sometime after TGCD came out)..and just as every album of theirs that I heard was (and still is) relevant to me when I first heard it, Night is the New Day manages to be relevant to me now, except refreshingly so as it's a new record....so thanks guys:)

The chorus of Ashen is the best god damn moment in the album. I was high and i was walking alone under the moon in the empty city with hundreads of headlights and it was just so fucking atmospheric, like a little drug trip, if you ask me.

It's good to hear people enjoying the album. Like most katatonia it feels one of uncertainty as to how one will feel over listening time. For me though there is no real song that grabs me in a teargas way many more feel more like deliberation or evidense.

I love the album it however is not the pinicle of katatonia songwriting.

Something holds it back being the equivelent to paradise losts host. I think so of the singing although good feels rushed in places and uncomprehendable.

For example when he sings beloved he leaves of the be this is diction and should have been fixed by a producer.

Yes I'm winging katatonia are on their 9th or so studio album. I love it it's great the whole concept is awsome it should however have been better

has anyone got the DIGITAL BOOKLET? ... you know? I want to have that art on my PDA all the time , but I don't like mp3-buying! , I like physical stuff , the booklet as always great as we expect from travis ! ... I'm mad about something negative to TGCD , I mean there was more red and less black , and here is more black and less red. , if some one has the DIGITAL BOOKLET of the album , plz plz plz send me , I swear It's for my personal (katatonic madness !) use only on my PDA.

tnx anyway

PLZ help in this case ... PLZ.

Ashen should have been on the album, it's just too good for a bonus track, I enjoy it more than a few of the other tracks that made the official cut. I felt the same way with Separated by Amorphis. It was better than several tracks on Skyforger, but not placed on the album, just a b-side.

I was glad to get the autographed postcard with mine because I like to collect those from my favorite bands, but unfortunately mine was all smudged up. More than half of Jonas's signature was missing since it got rubbed off somehow (I'm guessing from when they stacked them before they had dried).
Jack

I too got a signed postcard which was smudged. on the front it had some of the ink from the one that it was stacked on. Still, a great addition to my collection so I'm not really complaining.

As for my opinion on the album. I think it's great sofar! I think the addition of Krister Linder in Departer was kickass. I'll need to listen to it more before I can say anything else.

Ashen just has so many styles that resemble older songs such as the agressive clean vox in the beggining like I Break, its just so unique compared to the rest of the album, but then i suppose that's why its a bonus track.

Well after several days of listening, if I had to rank my favorite songs in order from favorite to least favorite, this is how it would look.

1. The Promise Of Deceit
2. Onward Into Battle
3. Idle Blood
4. Ashen
5. Inheritance
6. Liberation
7. Day And Then The Shade
8. New Night
9. Forsaker
10. The Longest Year
11. Nephilim
12. Departer (this would have been up at the top but I just can't get past Krister's vocals).

However, even by saying I have a "least favorite" song, I still love them all.
Jack

Sorry, I guess you've got a point. I think I've torn apart "Departer" enough. If someone still hasn't figured out by now how disappointed that song makes me then they probably never will. So I'll drop it.
Jack