Night Is The New Day album sales....

If on nuclear blast we at least get some funny package deals.. NB is not that bad. They only need to stop to promote deathcore as teh heavy shit and everything will be fine.

Like what? Slime green Katatonia-branded road cones? Or maybe a deluxe digipak made of sewer cap steel with an Orko-styled diecut?

NB has a whole art department devoted to hair-brained, WTF designs.

I'd HIGHLY doubt Roadrunner is looking at Katatonia. 1) Katatonia sales are paltry in the US. 2) Katatonia tour record in the US is paltry 3) Roadrunner seem to be building a different roster of late, focusing on their REALLY shitty Loud & Proud division, which houses Ratt, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sammy Hagar, Methods of Mayhem, etc.

I am sure that Roadrunner is looking at Katatonia. Album sales and tour record should not have any effect at all. Its not like you need to be a superstar to be signed. Most bands come out of nowhere. I know that Century Media wants them. RR would be the better choice though.

Glad I live in England where I can just pop into my local HMV and pick up anything from Burzum to the latest Shining and of course NITND. Christ I think i'd hate to live in the US.

I am sure that Roadrunner is looking at Katatonia. Album sales and tour record should not have any effect at all. Its not like you need to be a superstar to be signed. Most bands come out of nowhere. I know that Century Media wants them. RR would be the better choice though.

I, however, am not so sure. Roadrunner's game plan IS changing as we speak. You'll find LESS heavy acts on Roadrunner as Warner Bros. tightens its grip.

In fact, if Katatonia DO sign to Roadrunner it'll be for the UK only and Roadrunner will license out Katatonia to Century Media. Which might be smart for Roadrunner, but it won't do shit for Katatonia in the US. Licensed bands rarely get the attention of full contract bands and Century Media's roster is already massive. Not to mention all the sub-labels they license in the US.

Katatonia would do well to A) record the next album themselves and license it out to the highest bidder with tour provisions or B) sign a two-album deal with Century Media.

But I think Katatonia should not sign a 360 deal with any label. They should own the right to sell their own merch regardless of label.

Only responding to your Opeth claim. Stating that Roadrunner has influenced Opeths music in any way simply shows a lack of knowledge of how Opeth writes music, Im not saying you have to like GR or WS, but it is simply ignorant to blame Roadrunner. All RR does is promote the band. Opeth still has 100% freedom to do what the fuck they want. They may just as well of released Orchid on Roadrunner and the music would have been the same.

well, to my ignorant eyes there's too much to be a coincidence . And as far as I know,big labels push their bands to write mainstream/easy to digest music ,so they could reach a much bigger audience , isn't that true?

First, Opeth changed two band members from Ghost Reveries to Watershed (if you were aware) and the band changed mostly due to member changes, not label changes. With that said I still love the direction Opeth are going.

Second, Nightwish and Cradle have ALWAYS sucked.

Say what you will, you're just speaking for yourself.:)

well, to my ignorant eyes there's too much to be a coincidence . And as far as I know,big labels push their bands to write mainstream/easy to digest music ,so they could reach a much bigger audience , isn't that true?

Long story short. No.

Labels may make suggestions after hearing a demo or a pre-mix/mastered product, but that doesn't mean a band has to or will follow those suggestions.

Obviously, it's in the label's best interest to have a successful product, but plenty of albums over the course of the music industry have appealed to a mainstream audience and failed miserably commercially.

Success is relative (does selling 100,000+ copies of Scum [Napalm Death] mean they've sold out?) and is achieved many different ways. By all means I'd want Katatonia successful insofar as they're able to live a comfortable life off the music they create. If that means they make albums like Night is the New Day to achieve 'success' then I'm all for it.

For making this kind of awesome music I would want katatonia to make as much money as some freaking Metallica or even more! Sometimes I even think to myself that why LFDGD for example hasnt been that great commercialwise. I think the songs could just as good play in a normal popular radio channel or be hit singles.

Katatonia makes great music,but unfortunately their image isn't that good and that's what helps a band the most imo..

Katatonia makes great music,but unfortunately their image isn't that good and that's what helps a band the most imo..

Katatonia's image is fine. Most successful bands don't look like Slipknot or Tokio Hotel. They write good music, go on tour and, most importantly, get lucky.

In fact, if Katatonia DO sign to Roadrunner it'll be for the UK only and Roadrunner will license out Katatonia to Century Media.

Huh? Where are you getting this idea? Are you Katatonia's manager? You seem to know a lot about whats going to happen and what they should do.

noctambulant said:

ummmm.....what? You mean like how Opeth look like Nsync? I think Katatonia will do just fine if pushed out in front of people.

Huh? Where are you getting this idea? Are you Katatonia's manager? You seem to know a lot about whats going to happen and what they should do.

From experience. And from knowing what's happening in label worlds, which is also from experience. No, I'm not Katatonia's manager. That's Andy Farrow's job.

ummmm.....what? You mean like how Opeth look like Nsync? I think Katatonia will do just fine if pushed out in front of people.

I meant stage presence... Every great band has a great frontman , you just can't deny that.

Those sales figures are pathetic. Someone's not doing their job! On the other side, it a tough fucking world, there's way to many *so called* musicians out there that pollute the air and make it harder for established bands to successfully market their product.

Back to my original statement, NITND is amazing and has enough pop/alternative qualities that opens up a huge market! Peaceville needs to get off their ass and market this album the way it deserves to be marketed. NITND is IMO the best CD I've herd in 10 years. Pure emotion, and brilliant production. It makes me sick to see some suck ass media whoring band sell 100's of thousands, and such a beautiful creation like NITND struggle.