Nirvana

I think Alice would have done just fine with man in the box regardless if Nirvana ever existed or not. The difference in sound between the two bands is day and night.

No. Apparently you're British, so I can understand your ignorance here, but in American music at the time everything was Micheal Jackson and glam metal. Everything. The vast majority of listeners to AiC got into them through getting into the harder hitting, darker music of Nirvana. (I'm saying Nirvana is harder and darker than glam metal.) At the time nobody was into dark songs. Alice, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, and all the post-grunge bands, and likely even nu-metal, would not have had an impact outside of Seattle if it wasn't for Nirvana.

And apparently you don't know much about grunge's influence on Alice. They were a glam band before they got caught up in the grunge movement and pulled a Pantera and started making the music they wanted.

No, Im all American, east coast and have seen all the waves of music since Hendrix, Zeppelin just to name a few. I liked commercial metal, blues, hardrock and heavy metal... which incidently was "dark" and incidently was equally influencial and of origion whether it was the US or England. Ever heard of Savatage from Florida... first recorded in '83... Fates Warning from Connecticut... first recorded in '84... how about Queensryche... from none other than Bellevue Washington... first recorded in '83, but then none of these bands were "dark"... yarite. Then there was the thrash bands, but theres no need to go there.

But I suppose you are talking about popular radio music and yes commercial metal was the popular heavy music of the air waves... not "glam metal" because few of the nationally popular commercial bands were glam.

As for worldly popularity various grunge bands did it their own way and it all happened at the same time in '91. But for recording AiC recorded Facelift containing Man in the Box in late '89 - early '90, whereas Nirvana recorded Nevermind, containing Smells like teen spirt in late spring of '91, so Im not really seeing how Nirvana made AiC anything other than a much better band. Then lets see... Sound Garden recorded Badmotorfinger in early spring of '91, Pearl Jams Ten in early spring of '91, Im just not seeing Nirvana opening doors here, it was one big movement that happened all at once yet there are differences in the music of the bands.

As for whos more user friendly music, Nirvanas singles charted higher than AiC's so that brings much into question. One bands songs are better than anothers ? thats personal taste. I think Nirvanas sing along melodies were more user friendly and commercially oriented.

Yes, I'm speaking about the commercial radio face of music. But the point remains that before the grunge movement got started in Seattle AiC was a glam rock band. It was the influence of the other big grunge acts back when they were in Seattle, before it burst out nationwide, that changed AiC for the better. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about here... I have the demos. Alice used to be my favorite band and are still in the top three. They were known as Alice N Chainz... does that tell you anything? They changed because of the other bands in Seattle, the other three of the big four and the more underground bands influenced them heavily. No grunge, no Rooster, no Got Me Wrong, no Man in the Box... about half of Facelift shows the glam (or whatever you want to call it, commercial metal of the time) influence on them. Queen of the Rodeo is an excellent example. (It's not on Facelift but it's on their Live compilation).

Just for the fact that you fixate on the term "glam" leaves your knowledge on the history of music in question to me. Calling all the music of the 80's glam is a relatively new trend used by those that were not around at the time. Regardless of your being a huge fan of AiC or not, doesnt change the fact that they recorded Facelift before any of the other bands recorded their breakthrough albums. Also doesnt change the fact that they were just as much part of the Seattle music scene as the others. You've gone from Nirvana being responsible for them to now just simply grunge being responsible for them.

I just never went for any of that. Like someone saying without Hendrix there would have been no Page, no EVH, no SRV or whatever other example (and I've heard many) someone wants to make up. As if to say everyone else would have stood around like dummys not knowing what to do with their instruments and lacking any form of origonality.

I haven't explored the 80's metal/music scene much except for Thrash, so forgive my ignorance there.

You have a point, and I was thinking about this argument earlier... They recorded their demo for We Die Young, their first single, before even Bleach by Nirvana. So... yeah. I think your point is very valid.

There was all kinds of popular music during the 80's prior to grunge or alternative music gaining in popularity. Much of what I listened to was alternative to popular music throughout my whole life which amused me about the then new term of "alternative". The problem with people grabing on to that glam term is they put rockers and everyone else into glam/hair metal. VanHalen was far from glam, AC/DC was far from glam, ZZ Top was far from glam. Sure the fasion was flashy but that stems from the 70's and even late 60's. Glam is wearing makeup and I believe rooted in bands like the New York Dolls and maybe David Bowie... not that I ever heard him called "glam". IMO its a good term to loose and forget about.

How have you never heard David Bowie called glam? The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and "Rebel Rebel" are generally considered the definitive album and song of glam rock.

Maybe today but at the time he was just a musician that dressed the part of the character used in his album and put on a big theatrical live performance. Still my point being it is not a valid genre of music. Is Bowie and Poison the same kind of music ? Is LZ glam music because they dressed flamboyantly and Plant wore a halter top. Would that then make Black Oak Arkansas glam music because Jim Dandy wore a halter top ? Is Alice Cooper glam music because he put makeup on his face ? Then does this make those black metal guys glam music because they use corps paint ? Then does all this make the grunge bands glam music because they were influenced by many of the early bands that used stage theatrics and makeup such as Kiss, LZ and BS ? Speaking of BS... was Ozzy glam because he used dark shadowing on his eyes ? I mean really, so all this music is the same genre ? ... further including the new wave/alternative/pop bnads of the 80's. I mean really :erk:

Razoredge, I don't think you understand what glam rock really is. If a band has a flamboyant look or very simply uses makeup, that does not necessarily mean they are glam rock. Perhaps you should read up on the subject a bit more before saying it's "not a valid genre of music." You're associating glam with image only.

Razoredge, I don't think you understand what glam rock really is. If a band has a flamboyant look or very simply uses makeup, that does not necessarily mean they are glam rock. Perhaps you should read up on the subject a bit more before saying it's "not a valid genre of music." You're associating glam with image only.

I think your way behind on the conversation, I've sorta been saying the same thing your are only I dont believe glam is a musical genre at all. Its a bogus term to throw at bands. Cinderella is considered a "glam" metal band and their name itself almost convinces someone they must be, yet listening to their music you hear heavy blues influenced hard rock/pop metal, with a guy that sings like a cross between Janis Joplin and Steven Tyler. I did read up on the glam thing before I pursued the conversation too far. I found it all to be rediculous nonsence and out of touch with anything pertaining to music, only the stage persona of the individuals involved. The bands listed as "glam" bands have very little musically in common... it along with "hair band" is a bogus term thrown around by younger generations inspired by self gratifing media people in total ignorance... of music.

Its a moot point to discuss in this topic but one poster made a statement that all that was popular before grunge was Micheal Jackson and "glam metal". I was just hopeing to clear some of the fog for him to see through this wide spred folklore-ish/wifes-tale nonsence. Glam, hairband and classic rock are not genres, or styles of music!

Well Razor, you cite some good points. But, your last post is not all that correct. If you are as old as dirt as I am, then I'm sure you remember Marc Bolan(T-Rex) could be considered the founder of glam rock,which by the way, glam metal is an offshoot of glam-rock.You remember "Bang A Gong"(Get it On), "Life's a Gas","Cosmic Dancer" and "Jeepster." Marc Bolan took some Chuck Berry riffs and played with them until he basically invented glam rock. Along came David Bowie, and he and Marc Bolan became friends and combined all their musical ideas and solidified what became glam. Bowie,with the "Man who Sold the World" and of course, "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"(with awesome guitarist Mick Ronson) carried the glam torch onward. So, with that in mind,glam/rock is a legitimate musical genre.

Yes, so they say. I remember Marc but little, just Bang a Gong and Jeepster. I saw him a few times on the tube, either Kirshners or Midnight Special or both. Still from a musical stand point he was just a rocker to me, playing R'nR as you implied with linking his riffs to old Chuck Berry. Then while its said Bowie was glam, its also said Bowie was protopunk or even a preview of what became "new wave". I wouldnt be surprised to find the words "alternative" slipped from a few lips back in the day as well. There was also a progressive (art) touch to some of his music as well. Then Bowie went on into other popular forms of music, so what was he ? To me he and his music was just David Bowie, very unique. Then there was Iggy Pop, glam or punk ? Been along time since I heard The New York Dolls (30+ yrs) and I totally rejected them but I forget why. Did they sound like Bowie ? Seems they were the first band I heard the word glam connected to. I still dont think its a style of music rather some kind of fashion statement... lol, that has the younger generation all confused when they watch VH1 with their eyes, instead of listening with their ears. I mean how can you hear "glam"? What does "glam" sound like ?

About two years ago I downloaded some T Rex songs I never heard before, but they didnt spark much interest in me, I never listen to them. Perhaps now would be a good time to rehash them. Maybe I'll hear the "glam"... ;)

Maybe today but at the time he was just a musician that dressed the part of the character used in his album and put on a big theatrical live performance. Still my point being it is not a valid genre of music. Is Bowie and Poison the same kind of music ? Is LZ glam music because they dressed flamboyantly and Plant wore a halter top. Would that then make Black Oak Arkansas glam music because Jim Dandy wore a halter top ? Is Alice Cooper glam music because he put makeup on his face ? Then does this make those black metal guys glam music because they use corps paint ? Then does all this make the grunge bands glam music because they were influenced by many of the early bands that used stage theatrics and makeup such as Kiss, LZ and BS ? Speaking of BS... was Ozzy glam because he used dark shadowing on his eyes ? I mean really, so all this music is the same genre ? ... further including the new wave/alternative/pop bnads of the 80's. I mean really :erk:

You clearly don't grasp the concept that a bunch of bands from the 1970's that had a similar image also played musical that sprung from a lot of the same influences, spirit and ideas, making it a distinctive genre of music because their music was all comparable and contained a lot of the same stylistic elements. It's not just about makeup. This is glam rock.

You're confusing 80's glam/hair/trash/slease metal bands with the glam rock of the 1970's, by the way. They're not the same thing.

:lol: I'm not confusing anything, Im not the one confused and using a bunch of new terms to describe the song of rock.

That was a long post you quoted, with lots of questions and not a single answer to one of the questions. Or many of the other questions I asked in other posts.

I listened to my Marc Bolin songs last night. Not bad stuff on a simplistic base. I didnt hear the "glam" but I did hear sexual connotations, does this mean maybe he wasnt "glam" but perhaps "sleeze rock" :lol: ? Seems Frank Zappa did very sexual songs... he must have been sleeze rock too.

Razoredge, if you can't hear glam rock then that's your fault of ignorance. In plenty of bands I listen to I can hear glam's influence, musically. Even some of early goth rock bands were influenced by glam rock of the 70's - and you can hear this in their music. For example, Rozz Williams of Christian Death.

And whether or not Bowie was labelled as "glam" at the time is hardly relevant. This is no different from any genre really in which the founding artists are usually acknowledged afterwards - the music comes first before the actual genre tag/label.

Is deathrock the same as death metal? No. Just like glam rock isn't the same as glam metal.

And your last point only proves that you have no idea of what you are talking about.

And your last point only proves that you have no idea of what you are talking about.
No point in arguing with him. Like you said and i have said in the past he's ignorant and set in his ways.

He does not hear an ioda of differences between any rock genre's... to him it's all just rock like metal is all just metal...

He couldn't tell a black metal band from a Death Metal band from a Thrash band etc.. for examples... same goes with rock... to him Punk rock is same as Glam rock as same as classic rock etc... if he hears just one little influence of let's say Chuck Berry in each genre then it's all just rock and there is no distinction between them... it's obvious from his posts...

In Utero is a great cd. I remembered really hating it when I first heard it (I expected Nevermind Part 2). But I kept hearing it played at my friend's house who had cancer at the time (when I would visit him) and it just clicked.
It wasn't one of my favorite albums and still isn't.. the Unplugged album is my favorite... but there are songs I like on the album... Rape Me being my favorite... i also like Heart Shaped Box... you could tell from that album that Kurt was experimenting and going away from the more commercial producing sound of Nevermind... had he lived he would of experimented more... Nirvana were so popular by then the record labels could not just deny Kurt's requests for this or that...

If you aren't saying they're safe... I apologize.

As for Nirvana, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I just really had a problem with saying Nirvana was more daring than AiC. Not saying it's the other way around either, they both just did their own thing and carved their own niche in the grunge movement. And I attribute AiC's success to Nirvana... no Smells Like Teen Spirit and America wouldn't have given a rat's red ass about Man in the Box. Nirvana and the grunge movement took AiC from a glam band to a grunge/metal band.
Yah, I consider AIC pretty safe... sure they were dark but their songs were commercially appealing imo... not all safe but somewhat safe... apology accepted... at least your polite in other's opinions.. :kickass:

As for Nirvana I would say they became more daring in the Utero album... and Kurt even says he became more experimental/daring in interviews due to their popularity and power by then that the labels can't just say no to him... also I always thought Bleach was a daring album as well.. And you are correct, Nirvana did bring AIC and the other bands into the spotlight as well as the Seattle scene... as for AIC being a glam band before Grunge.. i don't know about that and will say I'm ignorant about that if it's true.

I'm pretty sure that most people know "Anarchy in the UK" and "God Save the Queen" by The Sex Pistols, especially people from the UK.
Razor don't get that... he thinks only one group of people (punk fans in this example) are the ones who listen to a particular genre and not people outside the genre... If you told him that Motley Crue, Megadeth etc. did covers of Sex Pistols songs I would bet he would be surprised such bands listened to the Pistols...

Good Explanation. One thing I don't agree with is "they have a unique sound that wasn't always safe like AIC" What's safe? Jerry Cantrell is a tremendous guitarist. Layne was way better of a vocalist than Cobain. AIC were edgy and tight, much better musicians as a whole than Nirvana. But hey, that's just my opinion and my understanding of Nirvana. AIC composed a blues/rock/metal hybrid. I never thought of them as a "grunge" band. AIC appealed to me more musically. Remember, It's alright to disagree, it's only about our subjective musical opinions.Peace,man.:kickass:
Safe was Nirvana's Nevermind album compared to Bleach and In Utero... very commercially appealing... i always considered most of AIC's albums as safe as well.. dark and such but made for radio... As for better musicians then Nirvana... i never consider that at all.. I would say they were the same as musicians but im biased towards Nirvana... I would say Dave Grohl is much better drummer though.. as for Jerry Cantrell, I think he's overrated. He's a good guitarist no doubt but not great or tremendous. Just adequate and effective for their songs. Sea of Sorrow and such were very grunge imo. Plus Grunge imo didn't have any distinct sound. Pearl Jam was very soft compared to Nirvana and AIC for example.

And I liked your last statement.. a true gentleman... :kickass:

Ever heard of Savatage from Florida... first recorded in '83... Fates Warning from Connecticut... first recorded in '84... how about Queensryche... from none other than Bellevue Washington... first recorded in '83, but then none of these bands were "dark"... yarite. Then there was the thrash bands, but theres no need to go there.
Fates and Savatage were not influential except in the underground metal scene so that argument is mute... and Queensryche did not become influential and such till they changed their sound and became more commercially appealing.

But I suppose you are talking about popular radio music and yes commercial metal was the popular heavy music of the air waves... not "glam metal" because few of the nationally popular commercial bands were glam.
I wouldn't call commercial metal "heavy" then or now... as for the nationally popular commercial bands not being "glam metal" or "Glam hardrock" (I never considered these bands metal to begin with)... tell me which ones of these weren't: Motley Crue, Ratt, Warrant, White Lion, Poison, LA Guns, Cinderella etc.

As for worldly popularity various grunge bands did it their own way and it all happened at the same time in '91. But for recording AiC recorded Facelift containing Man in the Box in late '89 - early '90, whereas Nirvana recorded Nevermind, containing Smells like teen spirt in late spring of '91, so Im not really seeing how Nirvana made AiC anything other than a much better band. Then lets see... Sound Garden recorded Badmotorfinger in early spring of '91, Pearl Jams Ten in early spring of '91, Im just not seeing Nirvana opening doors here, it was one big movement that happened all at once yet there are differences in the music of the bands.
It doesn't matter when their breakthrough albums came out. These bands all heard each other way before that in the clubs and bars of Seattle. Their unique sounds influenced each other but especially Nirvana who made splashes with Bleach in Seattle. Hope you get it now.

As for whos more user friendly music, Nirvanas singles charted higher than AiC's so that brings much into question. One bands songs are better than anothers ? thats personal taste. I think Nirvanas sing along melodies were more user friendly and commercially oriented.
This about the only thing I agree with you except for the In Utero and Bleach albums.

Just for the fact that you fixate on the term "glam" leaves your knowledge on the history of music in question to me. Calling all the music of the 80's glam is a relatively new trend used by those that were not around at the time.
Your the only one with the idea that everything from the 80's is called Glam. I have never heard anyone call all music from the 80's Glam. I wonder where you get this idea.
Regardless of your being a huge fan of AiC or not, doesnt change the fact that they recorded Facelift before any of the other bands recorded their breakthrough albums. Also doesnt change the fact that they were just as much part of the Seattle music scene as the others. You've gone from Nirvana being responsible for them to now just simply grunge being responsible for them.
Again, doesn't matter when their album was recorded or released. FaceLift was not considered a breakthrough album till Nirvana brought AIC and the Grunge movement into the spotlight. FaceLift wasn't even in the radar. And btw Bleach was released before Facelift as is Soundgarden and other bands' releases if that matters.

I just never went for any of that. Like someone saying without Hendrix there would have been no Page, no EVH, no SRV or whatever other example (and I've heard many) someone wants to make up. As if to say everyone else would have stood around like dummys not knowing what to do with their instruments and lacking any form of origonality.
You can't say Hendrix didn't hugely influence SRV. As for the others (Page and EVH)i don't think he influenced them as much if at all. Also you forget the fact that no one is totally original. Everyone was influenced by someone and took that influence to make a style of their own.

I haven't explored the 80's metal/music scene much except for Thrash, so forgive my ignorance there.

You have a point, and I was thinking about this argument earlier... They recorded their demo for We Die Young, their first single, before even Bleach by Nirvana. So... yeah. I think your point is very valid.
His point has flaws like i pointed out. And demo's don't really count because so few are released. So his point is not very valid as me and others have pointed out.

There was all kinds of popular music during the 80's prior to grunge or alternative music gaining in popularity. Much of what I listened to was alternative to popular music throughout my whole life which amused me about the then new term of "alternative". The problem with people grabing on to that glam term is they put rockers and everyone else into glam/hair metal. VanHalen was far from glam, AC/DC was far from glam, ZZ Top was far from glam. Sure the fasion was flashy but that stems from the 70's and even late 60's. Glam is wearing makeup and I believe rooted in bands like the New York Dolls and maybe David Bowie... not that I ever heard him called "glam". IMO its a good term to loose and forget about.
You don't know what alternative music much less what glam is as others have pointed out. Glam and Alternative also are not "new" terms. Glam was used in the 70's and Alternative in the early 90's. Plus VH, AC/DC and ZZ Top were not ever described as Glam in this lifetime or the next. I don't know where you get this delusion from.

Bleach is an awesome album.
It's a ok album... I like About a Girl best...

Razoredge, if you can't hear glam rock then that's your fault of ignorance. In plenty of bands I listen to I can hear glam's influence, musically. Even some of early goth rock bands were influenced by glam rock of the 70's - and you can hear this in their music. For example, Rozz Williams of Christian Death.

And whether or not Bowie was labelled as "glam" at the time is hardly relevant. This is no different from any genre really in which the founding artists are usually acknowledged afterwards - the music comes first before the actual genre tag/label.

Is deathrock the same as death metal? No. Just like glam rock isn't the same as glam metal.

You still miss my point or are not following my satirical ways of expressing them. About bands coming before someone pens a "genre" name on them, that may have no meaning to you but it does to me. Thus my expressing that Bowie was just Bowie and somewhat unique as well as diverse over his career. I didnt bet any response about his also being considered proto punk and glam at the same time... by this my point is how do you separate these two silly subgenres hes been placed into ? I do it by accepting that he was just Bowie with his own twist on ROCK. Then rather than being anxioty flustered with me as being ignorant, take a stab at explaining musically to me the sound of "glam rock", because that becomes very indecisive when you consider Alice Cooper and Kiss, in with Marc Bolen and Bowie.

Its amazing the flack Im taking for correcting the guy who said all popular music prior to grunge was Micheal Jackson or glam... :lol: