Nirvana

No point in arguing with him. Like you said and i have said in the past he's ignorant and set in his ways.

He does not hear an ioda of differences between any rock genre's... to him it's all just rock like metal is all just metal...

He couldn't tell a black metal band from a Death Metal band from a Thrash band etc.. for examples... same goes with rock... to him Punk rock is same as Glam rock as same as classic rock etc... if he hears just one little influence of let's say Chuck Berry in each genre then it's all just rock and there is no distinction between them... it's obvious from his posts...

Glad to see your sticking your neck out there to let a fellow poster know you have his back and further telling him what I know and can hear... you da man... no doubt

Razor don't get that... he thinks only one group of people (punk fans in this example) are the ones who listen to a particular genre and not people outside the genre... If you told him that Motley Crue, Megadeth etc. did covers of Sex Pistols songs I would bet he would be surprised such bands listened to the Pistols...

Once again jumping in with third parties to talk about me, saying what I know and dont know... so manly are you!

Im well aware some later band members listened to punk, fortunately they took their music further.

Fates and Savatage were not influential except in the underground metal scene so that argument is mute... and Queensryche did not become influential and such till they changed their sound and became more commercially appealing.[/quote}

If you actually read my mention of those bands was in regards to someone saying there was NO "dark" music prior to grunge, it had nothing to do with influence. But being as your on the influence thing I can hear much in modern metal that can be traced back to these bands doing it first. What you say about the Queensryche sound and its influence is totally wrong. Its their early haunting and brooding sound that can be heard in all sorts of modern metal. Most metalheads only acknowledge their EP, Warning and OMC
I wouldn't call commercial metal "heavy" then or now... as for the nationally popular commercial bands not being "glam metal" or "Glam hardrock" (I never considered these bands metal to begin with)... tell me which ones of these weren't: Motley Crue, Ratt, Warrant, White Lion, Poison, LA Guns, Cinderella etc.

Commercial metal was the heavy popular music of the times, which was what I was talking about. Everyone knows it was not as "heavy" as the heavy metal bands such as Maiden and the three bands I mentioned in previous qoute, but as heavy or even more so that the previous stuff known as "hardrock". Of the bands you mentioned they were all commercially popular metal bands, a part of the metal scene, played as metal on the radio and MTV but they were not GLAM, just a bunch of heavy rockers, some of whom wore more makeup than others. I only like a few select songs by any of them.
It doesn't matter when their breakthrough albums came out. These bands all heard each other way before that in the clubs and bars of Seattle. Their unique sounds influenced each other but especially Nirvana who made splashes with Bleach in Seattle. Hope you get it now.

You dont know who influenced who. As far as I know members of Pearl Jam came from one of the more early "grunge" bands called Green River. myself I dont hear much common ground between Nirvana and AiC. Frankly I think Alice was more grungy and Nirvana more punkish noise laden or then some mellow stuff too.

Your the only one with the idea that everything from the 80's is called Glam. I have never heard anyone call all music from the 80's Glam. I wonder where you get this idea. Again, doesn't matter when their album was recorded or released. FaceLift was not considered a breakthrough album till Nirvana brought AIC and the Grunge movement into the spotlight. FaceLift wasn't even in the radar. And btw Bleach was released before Facelift as is Soundgarden and other bands' releases if that matters.

you need to get with the program, Im not the one who feels this way, Im only trying to straighten out those that do think all the 80's was "glam/hair and half a dozen other rediculous terms put on the music".

grunge: doesnt matter it all came to national popularity at the same time 91-92.
You can't say Hendrix didn't hugely influence SRV. As for the others (Page and EVH)i don't think he influenced them as much if at all. Also you forget the fact that no one is totally original. Everyone was influenced by someone and took that influence to make a style of their own.

Get with the program, I didnt say anything about "influence", it was not what I was refering to at all, you are failing at being "the man"... big time. This was one example I pulled up quick, Hendrixs influence was huge and tide turning, Eddie was nearly the second impacting after Hendrix and surely got his balls to the wall guitar antics by knowledge of Hendrix as most others that came after Hendrix did.
His point has flaws like i pointed out. And demo's don't really count because so few are released. So his point is not very valid as me and others have pointed out.

only if you dont get it, but then you do, but dont know it "These bands all heard each other way before that in the clubs and bars of Seattle. Their unique sounds influenced each other" I just dont agree that Nirvana made them all and that they would not have done their own thing regardless of Nirvana, whom they really didnt not sound exactly like.
You don't know what alternative music much less what glam is as others have pointed out. Glam and Alternative also are not "new" terms. Glam was used in the 70's and Alternative in the early 90's. Plus VH, AC/DC and ZZ Top were not ever described as Glam in this lifetime or the next. I don't know where you get this delusion from.

please try to keep up, you get so fucked on what I know and dont know. Alternative was used long before the 90's and "glam" was more a cult thing then musical. When the terms were first applied is hard to say, most likely first in media and I so wish I had a collection of old music mags for better reference.

I listened to my Marc Bolin songs last night. Not bad stuff on a simplistic base. I didnt hear the "glam" but I did hear sexual connotations, does this mean maybe he wasnt "glam" but perhaps "sleeze rock" :lol: ? Seems Frank Zappa did very sexual songs... he must have been sleeze rock too.

No, you're actually retarded if this is what your argument has become.

I wasn't separating a style of music into all those different phrases listed in my last post. I was including all the primary terms used to describe the 80's metal/hard rock bands you're talking about and lumping in with Marc Bolan and David Bowie and their ilk.

You aren't properly replying, not me. I was responding only to part of your post, since all of your post relied on the part of your post that I was replying to, a part of your post that was incorrect.

Basically, you called the glam/hair metal bands and glam rock the same kind of music and my post was made solely to point out the misconception that was included in your argument.

You can go read your own post or any of the times it's been quoted before you try to say that you didn't. That's what I was replying to, and that's all I really cared about in this discussion.

Please don't try to tell me what I'm confused about what I'm talking about or replying when you apparently don't even know.

No, you're actually retarded if this is what your argument has become.

I wasn't separating a style of music into all those different phrases listed in my last post. I was including all the primary terms used to describe the 80's metal/hard rock bands you're talking about and lumping in with Marc Bolan and David Bowie and their ilk.

You aren't properly replying, not me. I was responding only to part of your post, since all of your post relied on the part of your post that I was replying to, a part of your post that was incorrect.

Basically, you called the glam/hair metal bands and glam rock the same kind of music and my post was made solely to point out the misconception that was included in your argument.

You can go read your own post or any of the times it's been quoted before you try to say that you didn't. That's what I was replying to, and that's all I really cared about in this discussion.

Please don't try to tell me what I'm confused about what I'm talking about or replying when you apparently don't even know.

Nope, sorry not retarded.

You included all the current terms used to degrade all music/bands of the commercially popular metal acts of the 80's. "Oh they were just another a hairband" "oh they were all a bunch of sleezy glamrockers". Kinda degrading from a musical aspect dont you think?

My mention of T Rex just that I did the relisten in search for the sound of "glam" and was separate from responding to you, sorry for the confusion. But I really do find it fun trying to hear the glam in rock or metal and making fun of such a supposed style of music.

You are also misunderstanding... no where did I ever say I figured glam rock and glam metal must sound the same. I have only been refering to the word "glam" ever being attached to both or the need to do so. Then the widespred abuse of placing so many with the "glam" connotation, it just amuses me.

Regardless it would be fine just to hear one person take a stab at describing the sound of glam anything to me. I can hear the sound of metal, blues, RnR, hardrock, grunge, punk, funk, jazz, fusion, pop but I just cant hear this glam/hair/sleeze sound for the life of me. It must require a really accute ear.

All shouldnt take this so personally, I survive all the direct insults, with tongue in cheek. I've only been digging for one frigin description of the sound of glam and an explaination of why so many bands are just lumped into this glam/hair band thing. Bowie had many somewhat wild hair doos in his day... was he also a proto hair band ? I've also realized I was wrong about Zappa, he was not just sleeze rock, he was goatee sleeze rock/jazz fusion :lol: Or he may just have been Frank Zappa

If you can't tell bands labeled those things apart from other metal or rock bands by sound, there's something wrong with your ears. Bowie, Bolan and the others all had a pretty obvious sound that should be pretty easy to identify, and so did the 80's hair bands.

By the way, you're mistakenly trying to claim that those terms are used primarily in a negative way, which isn't true, since most fans of that kind of music also refer to them as such. I also didn't comment on the musical quality of any of those artists, to that isn't relevant anyway.

Ok guys enough with the personal jabbing (I cleaned the thread up as much as I am going to).

One of the great underutilized features of this forum is the ignore feature, please choose to use it so we can avoid the cock measuring games. Thanks.

What is everyone's favorite song from each of their albums?

Bleach - About A Girl
Nevermind - Lithium
Unplugged - Where did you Sleep Last Night
In Utero - Rape Me

And also : You know Your Right

What is everyone's favorite song from each of their albums?

Bleach - About A Girl
Nevermind - Lithium
Unplugged - Where did you Sleep Last Night
In Utero - Rape Me

And also : You know Your Right
Bleach - Sifting
Nevermind - Drain You and Lounge Act
Incesticide - Aero Zeppelin
Houdini - Joan of Arc