Nirvana crowned greatest rock band of the modern era

I have that album, they dont, they know how to make long songs with time changes, and they know how to play their instruments, but they dont know how to ROCK!

No they dont, you dont see them doing DLR style splits off the drum riser, theres no pyro, no machine gun style attacks with one foot on the monitor, they dont even SWEAR for crying out loud, they just stand there and noodle on their instruments. THATS NOT ROCK!

spawn said:
No they dont, you dont see them doing DLR style splits off the drum riser, theres no pyro, no machine gun style attacks with one foot on the monitor, they dont even SWEAR for crying out loud, they just stand there and noodle on their instruments. THATS NOT ROCK!

Don't swear? James and Mike swear like pirates :p

Hey, listen you, stay out of this, no stupid little green bird is going to tell me who swears or not!

In fact, I hereby declare Dream Theater to be the most unrock band ever. Troops would roll over in his grave if he had to sit through their concert.

:headbang: You rock Spawny haha!

And I'm not even gonna comment on Nirvana winning coz you know what I'd say about it. Grrr.

By the way, how is Linkin Park so high? That's like putting Bulletboys (as much as I like them) as #6 on a best rock bands of the '80s list. Even if they are good, (which I think they are at what they do), they're just "one of the pack" as far as nu-metal bands go, just like bands like Bulletboys & Tuff were just "one of the pack" in the hair scene, and don't deserve to make a top 10 greatest rock bands list. Korn, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot are all more deserving than Linkin Park because they were more influencial and bigger and stood out the most.

I agree with Guns N Roses, Metallica, U2 and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Most of the other bands on the list could be interchangable with pretty much any other modern rock bands and certainly don't stand out. (ie. There's nothing to make Green Day more special than Offspring or Blink 182, or Linkin Park no more special than System Of A Down or Limp Bizkit, or nothing to make No Doubt any more special than pretty much every other alternative that's had a few hits) And I don't see why bands who played such a big part in making rock music not even rock anymore (yeah you know the 2 I mean) should be so acclaimed for it.

To quote Tuff from American Hair Band: "Yeah I saw your grunge band, staring at your shoes on stage..."

phlogiston said:
Nirvana rocks because I can play their songs on guitar.
[color=#aoeooa]So Nirvana rocks because their songs are so simplistic that even you can play them? Under that theory who should be second...

... THE WIGGLES!

Yeah![/COLOR]

But really Nirvana don't deserve #1. Maybe 8 or 9 but not 1.

The Trooper said:
By the way, how is Linkin Park so high?
they're just "one of the pack" as far as nu-metal bands go,
Korn, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot are all more deserving than Linkin Park because they were more influencial and bigger and stood out the most.
I think Linkin Park are now a lot bigger (and better) than Korn and Limp Bizkit ever were or will be. Plus they still have a future. They'd have to be the only band from 'the pack' that ever made a noticealbe impact on commercial radio.

That list is an abomination before the Gods of Rock'n'Roll!!!!

Nirvana were no talent three chord depressing grunge assholes who, with the aid of some clever marketing and good management, became much bigger than they ever had a right to be!!!!! (Whew, that's better)

I agree about Linkin Park making more of an impact commercially other nu-metal bands, but that is simply because they are more commercial. They are more pop-rock than anything else. Korn and The Deftones made more of an impact to the scene, if it wasn't for them nu-metal probably would not have happened, and Korn also had alot of success with their Follow The Leader album. Also, LP have already started to die off, a couple more albums and they will be no bigger than other bands from the genre.

As for Nirvana, I wouldn't go as far as to say they weren't talented, as much as I hate them they did do some good songs, but I still don't like them being at #1.

Blitzkrieg said:
Korn and The Deftones made more of an impact to the scene
But just like the guitarist poll, doesn't 'greatness' come from being great rather than simply being first?

Nup its ok :D I was just listening to "What's My Name" :lol: Took me back to primary school... the video clip rocked where they turn into dogs and stuff haha!