Noise suppressor and 5150 for recording.

Downtuned

Losethehorizonagain
Mar 25, 2011
UK
Where is the best place to put a boss ns-2 noise suppressor with a 5150 for recording? I get an awful lot of hiss and I'd just like to get rid of it before I lay down tracks, so should I put it in front or in the FX loop and is there any specil way of hooking it up, EG the X method? Thanks!

I always run mine in front of the amp. I think I've tried running it in the FX Loop before on other amps, and never noticed a difference.

Honestly, that HISSSSS you get won't be noticeable in a mix. I'd just cut it out in any places where there are pauses or where it may be noticeable.

Yeah I usually run it in front if I'm in the studio! It's just cos I use a bit of staccato in my playing and really just to save some time. Plus the hiss really annoys me!

But thanks, it's good to know there's not much difference in the position!

I think the best place is in front of the amp because this way your preamp section has to work with a cleaner signal. If you put it in the fx loop you clean the signal after the preamp stage.
I prefer in front of the amp after the TS

Or this. Sometimes I get weird noise besides the hiss though, like electrical disturbance kind of noises.....

yeah that's why I use it too. sometimes in fast gallops you might get weird noise that can't be edited out. I've been using this set up and love it,http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=9467
totally dead silent. gates can suck the tone a little bit but I've always been happier with one than without.

Personally I use it like this: Guitar -> tuner -> NS2 loop send -> pedals -> NS2 loop return -> amp

I never understood the 'X' pattern going on with this. Why not Input -> Output -> Amp, and same with loop?

with the loop on the NS2 you mute all the stuff that is in between and if you use it in x-pattern you also silence the amps preamp which is desirable if it makes an annoyingly loud hiss or causes unwanted feedback when you don't play. But do note that NS2 _IS NOT A GATE_, it is an expander, which means it still lets some sound thru especially on loud volumes.

and for those who don't know what the x-pattern is:

Guitar -> NS-2 input
NS2 send -> (other pedals etc) -> amp input
amp fx loop send -> NS2 return
NS2 output -> amp fx loop return

edit: someone made a nice picture of it

ns2_x_connection.gif

The X-pattern is fucking unbelievable, I love it. Absolute dead silence. Turn the mode to "reduction", and twist the threshold and decay knobs so that they are pointing right at each other. (So, Threshold is at 3:00, Decay at 9:00).

It's great because it shuts up the guitar, and it shuts up the preamp.

holy shit - I've never seen that x-connection before.

I am trying that out when I get back to the studio on Monday..

The 'x pattern' (AKA 4-cable method) affects the tone negatively in my experience - changes the top end in a bad way.

As long as you have the threshold set to about 8 or 9 out of 10, it doesn't choke it up for rhythms at all in my experience. I turn it off for leads, but definitely use it when reamping rhythms.

I mean, I understand the 'X' method, but I don't understand why it's run criss-cross like that. Why can't you just run it In - Out, Return - Send, like straight across instead of in an X? Don't really understand the difference.

I'll have to give this a shot some day.

The send and return are independent of the in/out and don't do anything to that signal. So by criss crossing, people are actually not doing anything to the sound going into the front of the preamp. The guitar signal is now controlling the the 'sensing' circuit of the pedal which controls the reduction of the signal going from the preamp to the power amp.

IMO just get a Decimator G series and call it a day.

I mean, I understand the 'X' method, but I don't understand why it's run criss-cross like that. Why can't you just run it In - Out, Return - Send, like straight across instead of in an X? Don't really understand the difference.

I'll have to give this a shot some day.

The send / return is a loop in the pedal itself... Input - send - return - output

I don't quite understand what you're saying man, using 4 cables IS using the x pattern.

I've seen pictures of Colin Richardson using the NS2's loop to get rid of the hiss from a tubescreamer. If it's good enough for him...

Ok, instead of going in an X, why not go like = ?

Guitar -> NS2 INPUT, NS2 OUTPUT -> Amp

Amp FX Send -> NS2 RETURN, NS2 SEND -> Amp FX Return

Make sense?