Non-metal stuff you're currently in to

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
A few years back, someone started a thread where we would all post one youtube video of non-metal stuff we're listening to at the moment. It was a cool idea but rather than bumping it and having a few pages worth of 2+ year old material, I just decided to start a new one.

Currently I've been getting all caught up in this OFWGKTA hype. New hip-hop collective, all super young kids, but it's some of the best stuff I've heard in years. Completely renewed my interest in the genre after ignoring it for the most part over the past year or two. This is a track by my favorite member, Earl. It's completely over the top in its violence but it's no different than your average death metal track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not metal, but plenty of crossover appeal to metal fans (especially Porcupine Tree fans), the amazing Pineapple Thief!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJxSng0N_4&feature=related[/ame]

Well...no one rocks a horn section like Kool & the Gang. I've been listening to some of this again, and Open Sesame is one of my all time favorites.

Then there's Yoko Kano and Seatbelts, who I can always rely on to bring me some of the rockier side of jazz. Tank! is a most excellent example.

Zod mentioned this one to me a few times last year ... turned out being my favorite non-metal disc of the year by a good stretch. Brant Bjork - The Future Rock.

What do you get if you have a Norwegian, a Cuban, an Irishman, and two Americans? Celtic prog rock, naturally! Tempest is nothing short of amazing. Though the only original members left are Lief Sorbye (the Norwegian) and Aldolfo Lazo (Cuban,) because the lineup changes often. Regardless, the musicians are always good. And who doesn't love a band that utilizes a double-necked, electric mandolin? NO ONE. THAT'S WHO.

qyzuo7.jpg

I've been addicted to The Swell Season for a while now. Just beautiful music.

Jonsi, from Sigur Ros, has a solo album out which has been on heavy rotation over here for a long time. It's like a hyped up, pop version of Sigur Ros in English... I love it.

I've also been listening to Archive's Controlling Crowds a lot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0_2ALVheCM&feature=related[/ame]

I love Matt Nathanson.. His play with words amazes me :)

Diggin' that Adele tune - may have to check her stuff out more...

My favorite album of 2010 (and I've posted about it quite a bit here) was Janelle Monae's full-length debut The Archandroid. It's a modern rhythm 'n blues with hiphop inflected concept album about an android running from her appointed shelf-life after falling in love. Not a new concept. Just well executed, and sung beautifully (She was one of the few acts getting Stand Up Ovations during the Grammys this year)

Here's the video for the song Cold War

and the out there video for a song from her first ep Metropolis: Many Moons

Ben, have you seen Janelle Monae live? I had no clue who she was at the time, but when she opened for of Montreal a few months back, she 100% stole the show.

My favorite album of 2010 (and I've posted about it quite a bit here) was Janelle Monae's full-length debut The Archandroid. It's a modern rhythm 'n blues with hiphop inflected concept album about an android running from her appointed shelf-life after falling in love. Not a new concept. Just well executed, and sung beautifully (She was one of the few acts getting Stand Up Ovations during the Grammys this year)

Here's the video for the song Cold War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmORiHNtN4

Wow. That gave me chills. Thanks for posting.

So would this be similar to the currently listening to thread or non-metal only or?

DMB is practically my brother's favorite band so I can't help liking some of his stuff. Had this album on the way to practice tonight

I've been getting back into late 90s/00s rock and trying to find bands similar the stuff I already know

Example
- Never heard of these guys until I signed onto rhapsody

or

I don't always listen to music that is non-metal, but when I do, I prefer, Between Interval...I am the most interesting man in the world. :D

"Between Interval, aka Swedish composer Stefan Strand has been experimenting with and creating electronic sounds since the age of 14. Initially inspired by video game soundtracks and the German techno scene, it wasn’t long before he was discovering the more expansive soundscapes of artists like Jean Michel Jarre, Robert Rich, Aphex Twin and Pink Floyd.

His creations are a superbly crafted blend of Space Ambient and Electronic Downtempo. Provocative subterranean explorations are balanced with a sense of light from an otherworldly perspective."

Enjoy!