Non-metal stuff you're currently in to

Ben, have you seen Janelle Monae live? I had no clue who she was at the time, but when she opened for of Montreal a few months back, she 100% stole the show.

She and her crew are based in Atlanta, Brian. Wondaland Arts Society. Comes from Kansas though. She's on the newest of Montreal album, which helps them, as they're also on her album.

I don't get to nearly enough concerts, but I've followed YouTubes etc. She's pretty sweet.

One more thing, the outfit and hairdo are part of her character, and it's a vocational uniform.

I keep coming back to Altan Urag. Mongolian folk music with a distinctively hard rock songwriting sensibility. I can pretty much guarantee you've never heard anything -quite- like it. Calling it "Folk Rock" really doesn't do it justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never go for more than a couple of weeks without throwing in a Goo Goo Dolls song or three. I am not talking about their early punk stuff, but more the sappy love songs that made them famous. I could never put my finger on what it is, but there is a real magic that The Goos weaved in the 90's.

Bryant

Franco Battiato - La voce del Padrone

The Master!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ql3O6kiapE&feature=related[/ame]

and one of the greatest songs ever:

I never go for more than a couple of weeks without throwing in a Goo Goo Dolls song or three. I am not talking about their early punk stuff, but more the sappy love songs that made them famous. I could never put my finger on what it is, but there is a real magic that The Goos weaved in the 90's.

Bryant

Absolutely. Superstar Car Wash, A Boy Named Goo, and Dizzy Up the Girl are all tremendous, among the best pop/rock albums of the era. And then John Rzeznik got blocked. I thought Gutterflower was awful, and I haven't bothered with the band's last two albums, for which ringers were brought in to help with the songwriting (although I think "Better Days" is a darn good song). Any thoughts on Let Love In and Something for the Rest of Us?

My contribution to this thread, however, is rightly described in the YouTube comments section as "the phattest shit of all time."

From the 60's Arthur Lee and LOVE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVBMUXr4xo&feature=related[/ame]

Some good old stomp music

And some DCI

I just recently discovered this artist and I really appreciate his style.

CHEAP TRICK.....next to Maiden, the greatest band ever. I listen to them daily!!

Also, been spinning lots of GENE LOVES JEZEBEL as of late. A highly underrated band IMO......

I listen to ALOT of non metal stuff but as far right now.....I think i will go with the song Background, one of the kids at the church where i help out let me hear it, and it just hit with me and has been in my head for a week. I dont usually like rap or just upfront Christian songs but this one will not leave my head.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHnZRZiCYHE&feature=related[/ame]

"Von Hertzen Brothers is a Finnish Rock band consisting of the three von Hertzen brothers. Imagine Foo Fighters playing Pink Floyd's greatest hits after spending years in India singing to Beach Boys tunes... And you'll get the drift."

"Von Hertzen Brothers is a Finnish Rock band consisting of the three von Hertzen brothers. Imagine Foo Fighters playing Pink Floyd's greatest hits after spending years in India singing to Beach Boys tunes... And you'll get the drift."

I remember Aki/Pollution telling me about them as maybe the remains or very related to much much missed Finnish band Kingston Wall, whose ending was tragic in a Nirvana / J0oy Division way. I thanked him then, as I thank you for reminding me now.