noob iLok questions...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
does one brand of iLok work better over another in allowing authorizations from a wider variety of manufacturers? The only brand I ever see is Pace? But, the Steinberg iLok seems to be specific for Steinberg products...So, could I, for example, use it as the dongle for Ozone 4?

Can you have more than 1 iLok with the same authorizations on it, as backup (s)? How difficult is it to copy auths over to another iLok?

Sorry for the questions, I don't know much about iLoks...

There's only ONE iLok and that's the one from PACE. Steinberg uses a different dongle from a company called Syncrosoft for their products. They're not compatible.

Edit:

Regarding your other questions: You cannot simply copy/duplicate licenses between iLoks for backup purposes. However, you can move it from one to another.

If you want to duplicate your licenses for backup purposes, you gotta pay for the "zero downtime" program from PACE.

Read from here.

Losing your iLok is in fact quite a bitch.

Even if you're enlisted to "zero downtime" and have a backup iLok, you're admittedly getting temporary licenses to continue your work, but if you want new permanent licenses you have to sort it out with each and every manufacturer of each and every product you had a license for. And they don't have to give you new licenses for free..

Lots of info on iLok stuff here including what happens if your iLok breaks and its not covered by zero downtime
http://protoolsformedia.blogspot.com/search/label/ilok

If you don't need to take your iLok anywhere, get an extra USB card and keep it INSIDE the computer. I've also seen somewhere (can't find a pic) of a metal pencil cup that was bolted to the bottom of a desk with the ilok inside so it couldn't get broken or stolen.

And for the record, the iLok is more prominently in use among plug-in developers. Syncrosoft has only taken off with a select few.

Yes but at least McDSP offers a really nice looking Green Ilok! :p

OOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Fuckers

speaking of which, anyone ever use their reverb plug Revolver? Its more expensive than most of their other plugs, even with the current september discounts they have going on ... I know I can just get a demo license from them but is it even worth the time doing so?

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread. Iloks suck as far as what options are available to you. I was under the impression that your licenses are stored in your account on ilok.com? So if your ilok broke you could just get a new one and sync it to your account there you go. I guess I should start paying closer attention to detail