Nope. I still don't get it...

JayKeeley said:
Anybody ever see that post by Erik in the RC forum going off on that dude [Papa Josh] that said Bathory blew chunks and Nasheim was infinitely better? Funny stuff.
haha I forgot about that. Erik should hold Haughm's hand, instead of trying to cup his khrum all the damn time.

One Inch Man said:
haha I forgot about that. Erik should hold Haughm's hand, instead of trying to cup his khrum all the damn time.

usapolitics06.jpg

Borat: "We say in Kazakhstan, a man who goes to power, must have a big... how you say?" (Borat gestures to his groin). How do you say? Hràm?

Man: "I think the word would be penis".

Borat: "No under the..."

Man: "Testicles".

"I need to have, ahh, the shit?"

That part ruled because he probably really did take a dump. :tickled:

Quote: "5. The lyrics, when not smothered in a thick layer of cheese, are redundant. They read as if Quorthon didn't actually know a great deal about Viking lore, and was forced to rehash the same themes over and over again."

This is just dumb. Re-read the lyrics to Shores in flames and One rode to asa bay and realize how brilliant they are. Maybe you have to be swedish to get it, I don't know. The lyrics (and video) for One rode to asa bay give me goosebumps.

Tranquillian said:
This is just dumb. Re-read the lyrics to Shores in flames and One rode to asa bay and realize how brilliant they are. Maybe you have to be swedish to get it, I don't know.
It’s easy to tell from the lyrics, English was not Quorthon’s first language. Quite honestly, I think the lyrics to "Asa Bay" are just as poor as the lyrics to his other songs.

Zod

Put it this way Zod:
1. Guy discovers Bathory in the mid-80's, there was virtually nothing else at the time, the production and playing "skills" were kind of standards-setting in their own way. Guy just has to bow to Bathory, and of course still does on affective values.
2. Guy discovers Bathory today, the stuff sounds badly outdated, the singing is a joke, the tunes are straightforward, the atmosphere acknowledgeable but prehistoric compared to what other bands have achieved since then in terms of layered and immersive soundscapes. Still, those bands guy listens to bow to Bathory, so guy bows in turns to Bathory by procuration, and maybe because he manages to develop a retrospective liking based on experience and a lot of self-persuasion.

Bottom line: just wait a few decades until the new bands who will land tomorrow's musical milestones don't refer to Bathory anymore as the father of extreme metal. And even then nothing will change much. Instead of actively influencing musicians, Bathory will freeze in time as an icon of musical history, and it will be even more blasphemy to diss his music. I mean look at what Mozart means to the world, and you'll find no damn fuck to claim that his music is actually influenced by Mozart (well, maybe Morgan from Marduk, but we're talking hopeless here, ain't we?)

Exactly. It's not the language that is beautiful, it's the imagery and the emotions that the lyrics evoke that "do it". Bathory is simply not for everyone.

Ellestin said:
Put it this way Zod...
I get where you're coming from. And I'm more than willing to accept/admit, I don't get it. However, to be fair, great music should have a certain timelessness to it. At 15 years old, it probably should hold up better than it does.

Zod

General Zod said:
From "Shores in Flames"

Tor of thunder way up high
Swing your Hammer that cracks the sky

From "Valhalla"

God of Thunder, Who crack the sky
Swing your Hammer, Way up high

From "Baptised in Fire and Ice"

I saw the Hammer way up high
Cause lightning in the rain

Yes, I get it. Thor had a hammer. He hammered in the morning... he hammered in the evening... he hammered all over this viking land.

That put a chuckle in my step!

Pyrus said:
Goosebumps, man, goosebumps. Quorthon's grasp of English is poor, but the imagery he conjures up is fucking amazing. It's gimped poetry.
If the lyrics, in the context of the music and the melody, do it for you, that's all that counts. I love more than a few songs where the lyrics seem fairly bland. But in the context of the song, they slay me. As I've always said, to each their own.

Zod

It's an acquired taste, but his lyrics drip with emotion.

From Blood Fire Death...

Children of all slaves
Stand united and proud
All people of bondage shall triumph
And live by the sign of...

Blood Fire Death

The moment is chosen
The Battlefield is bare
Take now thy stand people
The true ones don't fear

Now choose your weapons
And fall in the line
Choose well your colours
And follow the sign

Blood for all tears shed
And Fire for hate
Death for what shall become
All false ones fate

The standard bearer is chosen
And the day has just begun
Shadows growing long by the rising
Of the awakening sun

I think that's awesome.

Also, who knew this? In "The Golden Walls of Heaven" the first letter of each line spells SATAN. Also, if you do the same with "Dies Irae" you get CHRIST THE BASTARD SON OF HEAVEN.

Twilight of the Gods is awesome. Listen to it and hear where Moonsorrow got 90% of their material.

Twilight was my first Bathory experience and it was a while before I got any more, so I had a lot of time with it exclusively. "To Enter Your Mountain" is my fave Bathory track. I LOVE the acoustics and the main riff in that song.