Norwegian Black Metal

hnilsen

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2009
I'm writing a paper on norwegian black metal, and was wondering how come it has become so famous internationally? Any ideas? Besides the churchfires etc, i'm looking at the music

It got "famous" if you can call it that solely because of the media attention the extra-curricular activities were granted. If not for the church burnings and murders and cryptically evil interviews, the greater public would not have cared about Norwegian black metal, let alone even known about it. So if you want to know why some random person in London knows about Burzum, you would be better off not looking into the music, because he's probably never heard a damn note of My Journey to the Stars, but rather possibly heard that he stabbed a fellow musician a bunch of times.

I'm writing a paper on norwegian black metal, and was wondering how come it has become so famous internationally? Any ideas? Besides the churchfires etc, i'm looking at the music

How did you find out about it?

i got into BM after reading a very early Darkthrone interview in which they stated that they'd never fly in a plane because they believed it to be too close to god,they also claimed it(BM) to be only for those who'd been into metal for a long time,even at that very early stage they knew it would be misunderstood by most.I'd been a huge fan of eighties metal before that,i grew up on Slayer,Anthrax,WASP,Exodus ect.ect,so this extreme form of fanatacism piqued my interest immensely,and to find that there was actualy great music behind the equally great image was almost too much,i still have the "A Blaze In The Northern Sky' cassette laying around and it's still one of my favourites.I think you'll find that if it's famous now and you know about it,it's probably because the mainstream has brought this music into the spotlight because of the murders,most fans however don't just listen to Norwegian BM,it's a global movement and excellent albums have been released from such exotic locations as Lebannon.