Swedish vs Norwegian Metal

Is Sweden superior to Norway ?

• Metallica is better than Sweden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better is a relative term, while potato isn't for example

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Sweden is superior to Norway ? THIS IS MADNESS !! Madness ? This.IS.SPARTAAAA !!!!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Why would you ask that question ? Wanna fight me ?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese
It was my first impression as a younger kid, and it's definitely confirmed itself throughout the years, Swedish metal is not only better but outright better overall than Norwegian metal.

Oh and I mean this from the technical/musical pov btw.: you can think such and such black metal band from Norway is trve and legendary (with their errr..."extracurrical activty" let's call it that...) n all that but how many of those come within the vicinity of an Opeth musically for e.g. ? Not saying no Norw band is as good as Opeth, just emphasizing this is about composition/song-writing and nothing else. Pound for pound, musically, do Norw compare in your opinion ? Certainly not for me but, eh, I'm only two perso..ONE PERSON. I'm only one person.

Norwegian black metal is in general terms far superior to Swedish black metal, but Sweden has a lot more of death metal bands than Norway ever had.

I mean, when Sweden has almost 4 times the metal bands Norway has (4.600 vs 1.700 aprox), thus has more releases, whatever the style is, it's not a really "fair judgement".

There are at least several Swedish metal albums greater than the greatest Norwegian metal album (DMDS), so it's basically a no-brainer. Sweden itself still has a pretty garbage output post-1993 or so, however.

Most of my favourite grindcore is from Norway, and in my experience Norwegians have a much better sense of humour and sense of fun than Swedes, who can be a bit too crusty and up their own asses politically. But Sweden has some of the greatest doom metal ever made so, I dunno... a tough one.

Sweden based on this album alone:

Lefthandpath_AlbumCover.jpg

As an aside, anyone interested in the Swedeath scene and early classic DM albums should read this book:

iu

- talks about composition/songwriting as the measure of musical quality

- uses opeth as an example
they're not that bad. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to understand this phenomenon, at least a little bit. Someone mentioned Sweden had more metal bands than NOR, so it's the proportional argument but I'd say that's not nearly convincing enough, there's still wayyy more good SWE bands. Sweden is like one twentieth of France's population and yet they're easily the stronger metal nation. It's quite strange to me because I know Norwegians to be very very similar genetically as well culturally to Swedes so how is it even possible their scenes produce such different results. You could understand there's a cultural (and production) difference between Sweden and Ireland, but Sweden and Norway ? It seems to me Swedes are just ...better. Not more prolific, but *better*.

Norway has the black metal scene, which is very rarely impressive musically but there are the Emperor, Immortal, Enslaved... but otherwise they're fkng nil in everything else aren't they. A world class death metal band from there ? Thrash, doom ? Can't think of ONE. There's the one odd band every so often, sure, but they're far from being a dominant nation black metal aside. Sweden has melo-death but also lots of thrash, technical, doom, prog... why is there such a difference betw the two countries...

I probably actually agree with that, since Sweden has the mighty Under the Sign of the Black Mark, though I assume you're more referring to Dissection?

.... all that but how many of those come within the vicinity of an Opeth musically for e.g. ? Not saying no Norw band is as good as Opeth, just emphasizing this is about composition/song-writing and nothing else.

Just about this particular point:

Ved Buens Ende is the band that Opeth never was and will never be in quality, innovation, unique execution of extreme metal and progressive elements and massive influence. Exactly the same for Arcturus. We can also count DHG. A Umbra Omega is a behemoth of album with terrific songwriting and unique perspective.

Enslaved also surpassed Opeth mixing 70's prog influences with extreme metal and they've never released embarassing and downright laughable releases as Heritage and Sorceress.

Ulver was far more innovative and influential than Opeth as well. The "black trilogy" alone is far more worthy than the entire Opeth discography, quality/influence wise.

And about good songwriting and unique style, there are many other examples like Fleurety, In the Woods, Manes, Virus, Mayhem's Blasphemer era, Covenant, Winds, Solefald, Age of Silence and a long etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophii and CiG
Give me your top 3 from Norway

You'll probably hate it but sure:

1. Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
2. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
3. Black Viper - Hellions of Fire

As it stands I have no Norwegian metal albums with a perfect rating, but I have several from Sweden so I guess I will have to vote for Sweden, even though Norwegian grind has a special place in my heart.

Edit: reduced to 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy