Novembers Doom Tabs

Well, since no one else is requesting. "In Memories Past" That seems like a fun song to play. I'll have to make a run through the other albums and see if I've got any other requests.

And of course you could always have Eric tab out "Silent Tomorrow" :D ;)

For Every Leaf That Falls and The Jealous Sun..

If my band ever does anything I want to cover those :) Of course, by does anything I mean me getting a bass and our drummer to get his drum set out since he normally plays guitar...

Steve420 said:
For Every Leaf That Falls and The Jealous Sun..

If my band ever does anything I want to cover those :) Of course, by does anything I mean me getting a bass and our drummer to get his drum set out since he normally plays guitar...

I'm gonna have to get together with Larry to tab those out since i haven't learned those tunes yet. I just finished Dark Fields,Not the Strong,and Lost in a Day. Paul should have those up sometime soon.

Maybe Eric should do those.. After all, he did write them...

Although the credits in the FELTF EP are "Novembers Doom" for music, OSIASF credits Eric for all but one or two songs. Maybe I shoudl see if I can find my old midi tab program... IT was on a computer with a 10 MB hard drive :lol:

Steve

yeah- on the ep, i think we just put the whole band because it was easier. on the album we put the "music written by" and "music arranged by" separated.

As for me doing the tab: i'm pretty much tab-illiterate. Plus, Larry knows the stuff as well (if not better) than i do, so it'll be MUCH more timely if Larry/Vito did the tab than if i did. Also, there are some cool things that have been modified in the arrangements (for live stuff) that could possibly be included- like the harmonized beginning of FELTF, which sounds very TROUBLE-ish, and is way cool.

It's a weird feeling to need to have someone else teach you a song you wrote, but it happened occasionally, as i am basically the midwestern equvalent of Forgetful Jones.

forgetful.jpg

Steve420 said:
Maybe Eric should do those.. After all, he did write them...

Oooh yeah, I see how it is, Larry must not know shit if he didn't write it, I got ya ;) hehehe...

Actually it's funny this comes up because at rehearsal the other day, we were all kind of sitting there trying to remember all the parts for these songs that we haven't performed in ages. I can remember most of it but there's certain songs that we haven't attempted in years, literally. Songs like "In Memories Past" are easy enough to remember...."Silent Tomorrow" as well. Even most of the "Sculptured Ivy" stuff I can recall, even though I didn't play on the album, I learned those songs and played them a million times when I first joined.
It can actually be tricky for any one of us to try and tab out all the parts, because there's little lead bits and things that one of us will play that the other person doesn't necessarily know how to play off the top of his head. Eric wrote pretty much all of "Silent Tomorrow" for example, but the little clean melodic classical guitar solo in the middle was actually my doing, so I don't know that Eric would know or remember how my part went, see what I'm saying? In any case, if you guy's have requests for songs, I'm sure that between Vito, Eric, and myself, we can get the tab out to you. I had to sit down and sort of relearn all of our songs, to learn Eric's parts as well as mine, when we brought Vito in the band, so we could figure out who was going to play what part, etc. So most of the last few cds are still fairly fresh on my mind.......now it's just a matter of if you can get me off my lazy ass and actually start transcribing this shit LOL
Oh, one last thing....I mentioned this in the forum some time back, but I will mention again....the main trick to figuring out our songs is to understand the tuning, which is fairly simple but important.
You want to tune your guitar down to C, and then drop the 6th string down to B flat. It's your typical drop D tuning thing, its just taken down several steps than normal.

....And if any of you want tabs for stuff like "Nothing Earthly Save The Thrill" and shit like that, well, your probably shit out of luck pal! LOL

You want to tune your guitar down to C, and then drop the 6th string down to B flat. It's your typical drop D tuning thing, its just taken down several steps than normal.
That's the biggest problem for me. My strings have a hard time staying where they're supposed to (stupid floyd). I blocked one up but there's still a little play so it still likes to fall out of tune quite easily. Oh well. I'll make due.

Understood about the tuning problems. Up until this past year or so, we had always used Gibsons tuned down to B flat with very heavy strings on them. It worked for the most part and got a heavy sound, but tuning and keeping good intonation up and down the neck was always a headache. I just about lost my mind trying to keep the guitar in tune during the recording of "To Welcome The Fade". Now I use a Fender Subsonic baritone that is just fantastic. No more tuning problems for me. When we went in a few weeks ago to record those new songs, I had little to no problem with my tuning, it was such a relief. You have to get used to playing a guitar with longer scale neck (approx. 27 inches, as compared to the Gibson's 24.75 inches) but its not too much of an adjustment to make.

Anyhow my suggestion is, if you're willing to do it, to at least try putting some heavy strings on the guitar. I personally wouldn't use anything less than like a .058 gauge for your sixth string, and if you can stand to go with a .060 or .062 (which is what I have on my guitar right now) then I think it will be even better. However, like you said, having a Floyd makes a whole difference there. I could never stand downtuning with a trem on my guitar.

Arrr, it be a pain.

But yeah, I just used my regular strings cuz I was to lazy to go buy some heavier strings. I think the heaviest is a .49. But intonation on a floyd is nearly impossible. I'm just going to block em both up (or get one of those tremsetter things). It's not worth it, especially since I only use them when screwing around with some slayer.

I tabbed "the lifeless silhouette" a while back. It's in powertab format, which means you can't view it unless you download the program powertab (which is for windows only unfortunately). The files show both tab and standard notation, however, and also play the tabs back as midi. And my tab sounds pretty good but is probably pretty off on the distorted bits...it's really hard to discern what's happening with all the layers of sound going on. The file's on powertabs.net if you want it...

it needs more FOP, doubtless.

wow, i'd actually be interested to see how close someone else tabbed that song. i don't know if larry remembers it or not, but i'm sure he & vito could figure it out- it's not so hard. i'd probably have to re-learn it too, but if there's anything missing we could help on it i'm sure.

I still pretty much remember how to play The Lifeless Silhouette, I think. There is quite a bit of layered things in there so I would really be interested to see how someone transcribes it. Theres alot of little things going on in our chords and whatnot that I bet alot of people wouldnt pick up on.

I haven't played bass in a while, and the last two songs I remember playing were the intro to DT's LEthe and Marilyn Mason - Coma White :lol:

maybe I'll learn tabs when I get a new bass (soon!)

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I still pretty much remember how to play The Lifeless Silhouette, I think. There is quite a bit of layered things in there so I would really be interested to see how someone transcribes it. Theres alot of little things going on in our chords and whatnot that I bet alot of people wouldnt pick up on.
Wow, could you possibly check my tab and send me corrections? If you have powertab, it would be a lot easier for you to view/correct the file...the program is here: http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php It's like 3 megabytes, and if you transcribe songs it's the best thing out there to do it with...
My tab is here: http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,5365
I have a text version of it too, but it's pretty badly formatted as a result of being a powertab export and doesn't have bass:
http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/insulationonastick/silhouette.html

So yeah, if you could correct either of them, I'd be eternally grateful! It's so great to see bands that actually interact with the fans...
My email address is rabbitmadeofsteel@yahoo.com if you want to send me anything.

Wow man, thats pretty interesting! Well unfortunately for some reason, I cannot get the damn program to load, but I did read over the regular text version...its interesting to see how someone would interpret whats going on musically in our stuff......

Okay here's the thing, there are alot of parts where you have a basic "power chord" thing happening with guitar 1 while guitar 2 and/or 3 are playing single note melodies....now this actually kinda works, but the way we are playing these parts is by actually playing the notes ALONG with the chord, all at once. In other words, Eric and I are alot of the times playing the exact same thing together, and we are playing those notes within the chords.....does that make any sense? lol Once I figure out how to get this tab program to load for me, I will sit down and try to tab out some of this stuff to show you what I mean.....

There's some spots where you have a more basic chord written when actually its like some sort of jazzy type chord we are playing, but understandably it can be hard to pick out those things especially when everything gets loud and noisy!

But seriously you did a pretty good job, nothing was out and out "wrong", just structured out a little different and maybe played in different positions on the neck than we do, etc......tab some more! lol

Steve420 said:
can you also post the proper tunings for the albums in general?
I figured it was tuned down to C and then Dropped Bb from there, was I correct? I know that the lowest note is Bb on most of the stuff...
Also, the acoustic instrumental on "The Knowing" (Intervene I think?) is in standard, right?

All the Novembers Doom songs are in the "dropped Bb" tuning, all strings down two steps to C then drop that C to Bb. As far as that intervene song i couldn't tell you maybe Eric will read your post and can let you know about that one. I would assume it's in the same tuning as the other songs but what do i know i'm just the new guy.