Novembre

Nico

Onward!
Oct 21, 2003
War for Territory
Well I decided to order in a copy of Classica by Novembre because i've heard that they sound like Opeth, and that they're well... realy good. So it arrived today, and I had a listen... and must say I'm dissapointed. The people who've mentioned Novembre as the next best thing from Opeth never mentioned that there was absolutly none of the atmosphere that makes Opeth so great to listen to. They're not a bad band, but when compared to Opeth, i dont beleive they come close.
When someone who's new to the scene wants to know about any more bands like Opeth, i think they'd be more interested in another band which has the same amount of innovation, atmosphere and originality as Opeth, but not a band who sound similar.

Anyway, thats just my opinion...

Same here. I never got into Novembre

I heard somebody once compare Agalloch to Opeth which was...not too far off. Bergtatt era Ulver or Empyrium would've been a better suggestion.

Pff, nostalgiaplatz or winter 1941 are way more depressing than anything Opeth's ever done. That cd has a bunch of dumb songs in the middle, but the first few and the last few are godly. They don't really sound like Opeth anyway, they're more black metal influenced and are more about the atmosphere than opeth. It sounds like you got the wrong cd in the mail.

ShroudOfDusk said:
Well I decided to order in a copy of Classica by Novembre because i've heard that they sound like Opeth, and that they're well... realy good. So it arrived today, and I had a listen... and must say I'm dissapointed. The people who've mentioned Novembre as the next best thing from Opeth never mentioned that there was absolutly none of the atmosphere that makes Opeth so great to listen to. They're not a bad band, but when compared to Opeth, i dont beleive they come close.
When someone who's new to the scene wants to know about any more bands like Opeth, i think they'd be more interested in another band which has the same amount of innovation, atmosphere and originality as Opeth, but not a band who sound similar.

Anyway, thats just my opinion...
Well, you ordered their shittiest album IMO. I'm suprised you bought it, given the band offers all of the songs on the album to download for free on their website.

Smitty said:
Well, you ordered their shittiest album IMO. I'm suprised you bought it, given the band offers all of the songs on the album to download for free on their website.
Maybe you're thinking of Arte Novecento, because Classica isn't up for DL and it's a very solid album.

If you want to hear more innovation, listen to Novembrine Waltz. It's the most Romantic-sounding metal I've ever heard. I guess they are Italian, after all. Anyway, just because you don't think they're up to Opeth standards or whatever, don't dismiss them, because they're a great and very original band.

Hondo said:
Maybe you're thinking of Arte Novecento, because Classica isn't up for DL and it's a very solid album.
Oh, i didn't know they took it off for download. (about a year ago they had both Arte and Classica up for download, i'm pretty positive)

Smitty said:
Oh, i didn't know they took it off for download. (about a year ago they had both Arte and Classica up for download, i'm pretty positive)
NO. They had arte novecento and wish i could dream it again up for download, along with "Cold Blue Steel" and "winter 1941" off classica and "distances" and "come pierrot" off novembrine waltz. I think now all that's up is cold blue steel, distances, and come pierrot. Anyway, yeah, I agree with the guy who said the topic creator needs new ears. And the guy who said that Novembrine Waltz is the most romantic sounding metal ever. Novembrine Waltz is probably even better than classica, but they're both definitely in my top 10 albums, and novembrine waltz is definitely better than any Opeth release besides maybe MAYH (imo of course :p).

waltz and dreams are easier to get into imo

that being said the topic starter needs to listen to a cd more then once before he starts ranting because you need to digest it first

Sorry, but what i think of Novembre's music cant be changed by which section of my anatomy i listen to music with... hmm... either way, i dont think they're a poor band, i just dont think they're all they're worked up to be.

love love LOVE Novembre.

Winter 1941 is one of my favorite Novembre songs, and certainly my favorite off Classica. That album, however, was harder for me to get into, but once I did, I was addicted. Novembrine Waltz is much more accessible. Sorry if this has been said already....didn't read all the replies.

Does anyone know where I can get Arte Novecento? I tried emailing the address on the official site and got no reply.

ooh, I bought the only Novembre t-shirt from The End. It's XL and looks awful on me, but it's mine :D Worship me.