Now building Load-boxes with variable line out.

That was my train of thought as well, ill do some tests later tonight with a few different impulses (hopefully i have a SS power amp impulse somewhere). I post the results back here once im done.

Doesn't really matter to have a SS powered impulse right now, the test is ore of a, I think a real power amp will be more dynamic than a simulated static power amp in an impulse. Impulses are linear in operation, they cannot provide the dynamic changes that a guitar power amp can provide, as it is a non-linear function. I do think just removing the power amp out of the impulse would do wonders, let alone get the coloration and non-linear distortions out of a real amp or even an amp sim.

so has anyone done any tests of the line-out from a load box vs the preamp line out into an impulse? i.e a line out including the power amp and a line out with just the preamp into an impulse (guitarhack etc).
i thought i would ask before i do my own test with my Weber

I don't know if its exactly what you want but i did something like that 3 months ago and recorded some clips and posted them here.

I don't know if its exactly what you want but i did something like that 3 months ago and recorded some clips and posted them here.

Thanks! thats pretty much exactly what i was after. i havent got a chance to take a listen yet but i will when i get home.

i had a quick play around with it last night and there is a big difference, but no real surprises. the line out from the weber just had alot more tube saturation and a rounder sound. i think it would totally depend on the impulse used but it could be really nice for blending with a 'typical' chain for a thicker sound and on cleans. i have to experiment more but i think its worth looking into more.

does anyone know of any Solid State impulses?

Don't expect much from my samples. They are not sounding good. but they should show the difference. Since then i worked more with poweramp and impulses and got a better sound. Maybe you should also read the beginning of that thread to know the background of the "ToneHound" i used.
Solid State impulses? Red Wire IRs!

Sorry if these are some dumb questions....

These can be used to push a power section of a amp and record the cab at a lower volume correct?

Also, can this be used for for bypassing a cab all together and just use the head alone and impulses?

If this is the case i would love to buy one of these asap!!

These can be used to push a power section of a amp and record the cab at a lower volume correct?

Also, can this be used for for bypassing a cab all together and just use the head alone and impulses?

yes and yes :)

they fuckin rock. my 6505 would be practically unusable without it

yes and yes :)

Wrong.

Josh, a load-box just replaces the cabinet. It can be used in-line with the cabinet to take a DI out as well as run the cabinet, but it doesn't work like an attenuator that lowers the volume going to the cabinet.

No, the loadbox does not have an attenuator, come to think of it though, if you would like something like that in your loadbox, all it takes me is one L-Pad and some additional point to point wiring

Yes. With this loadbox you don't even need to have a cab plugged in, it can be used as a DI splitter between the head and cab. But of you want silent recordings, then you do not need a cab plugged in at all. You get the added bonus if you want to use the loadbox as merely a mute switch.

Assuming the prices aren't going to be raised, I'll be interested in a couple weeks.
$80 shipped US, correct?

That counts shipping. Extra features will cost you extra depending on the extensiveness of the addon.

Good news as well. I will now be painting the boxes as well with their own layout. Custom made products will have the custom buyer's name of choice on the product/box. I will be working today on the generic layout of the graphics and will post the result when it is done.

The first few runs will be laminate graphics until I can get the equipment to do silk screen printing.

ALSO: And extra upgrade to the loadbox that I am now providing is a speaker distortion simulator to simulate the compression and harmonic distortion of a speaker that is pushed hard, this will bring massive life to impulses.
ALSO ALSO: Please refer back HERE for updates.

Am I correct in assuming this will be similar to a Countryman Type 85 but with more options?

Well yes and no. This is in itself not a DI device in the standalone sense. It is a fixed DI made specifically for post power sections of an amp (the countryman type 85 can do this as well but can do normal instrument DIs as well). It also eliminates the need for a mic preamp as the signal is already conditioned for line level, this is why I can feature an ADC with ADAT so that users can expand their I/O because their main interface's preamps and line ins are free from the guitar amp's DI.

It is a one trick pony by all means, but it serves its purpose well IMO, better than anything else on the market especially for the price.

EDIT: Redoing the board layout for the third time now. Was having some issues when adding some mods on my protoboard so some changes in design where made (found some limitations in the OP amps). A few new features will be added and a new addon has been brought to the roster, be sure to read the OP for these changes.

ADDED:

-Level Pad -40dB
-Hammond 1590X Aluminum Case
-Speaker Distortion Outboard Mod: Provides transformer balanced I/O FX loop for the Speaker Distortion Addon
-Transformer Balanced Output (**Already Installed with Outboard Mod**)

I have had everything ready, I just haven't ordered the parts to build a demo version for videos/pics etc. I have been wantingto get this started, my A.D.D brain seems to forget about a lot of stuff.

The ADAT output will be an optical ADAT line (lightpipe) that will allow the device to be used as a digital device. Meaning, the loadbox will not take up Analog I/O on your interface, rather utilize the 16 channel of ADAT that most interfaces have.

Haha, looks like my post brought in a couple new customers. Any discount for getting all of the add-ons? ;)

So you ARE including a cab attenuator now, correct?

Haha, looks like my post brought in a couple new customers. Any discount for getting all of the add-ons? ;)

So you ARE including a cab attenuator now, correct?

All the addons, $150, its an $8 discount, can't really go lower as the price for the extra components make up 95-98% of the total addon price.

And yes, cabinet attenuation is available.