Now playing thread

Deftones - Prayers / Triangles

<3<3<3

The production on the album leaves a lot to be desired—the Jimmy Kimmel performance almost sounds better than the record—and some of Chino's vocal choices bum me out (please stop relying on that distortion effect whenever you're screaming, and those inhaled 'woo's add very little to the song...something that was true ten years ago with Hole in the Earth and is still true today), but damn I really like this album. Easily the most sonically diverse and interesting since White Pony.

- - -

Mamiffer - Domestication of the Ewe III (Divine Virus)

The production on the album leaves a lot to be desired—the Jimmy Kimmel performance almost sounds better than the record—and some of Chino's vocal choices bum me out (please stop relying on that distortion effect whenever you're screaming, and those inhaled 'woo's add very little to the song...something that was true ten years ago with Hole in the Earth and is still true today), but damn I really like this album. Easily the most sonically diverse and interesting since White Pony.

I like it, but I'm not sure how much it will grow. New one reminds me of SNW due to the schizo moods. I like "Koi No Yokan" and "Diamond Eyes" more than "White Pony". The vocals sounded a lot better in the production sound on "Koi" somehow. I'm really hoping for it to grow bigtime soon.

I like it, but I'm not sure how much it will grow. New one reminds me of SNW due to the schizo moods. I like "Koi No Yokan" and "Diamond Eyes" more than "White Pony". The vocals sounded a lot better in the production sound on "Koi" somehow. I'm really hoping for it to grow bigtime soon.

Ah, yeah, I can see how this album wouldn't grab you as much given the preference for Diamond and Koi. I enjoy songs from those albums, but they don't grab me nearly as much. I think I read that Diamond Eyes was written in two months and I feel like it really shows it, and Koi expanded upon that direction but didn't go as far as I had been hoping. (I know plenty of fans love the straight forward songs, e.g. Rocket Skates or Swerve City, but I much prefer the more expansive and/or left-of-center tracks, e.g. Royal, This Place is Death, Leathers, and What Happened to You?

Anyway, I hope it grows on you and as well. If it doesn't, though, you're far from alone; Gore has divided even the most hardcore fans. I'm just going to keep enjoying the hell out of Geometric Headdress and Phantom Bride.

- - -

Celtic Frost - A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh

Ah, yeah, I can see how this album wouldn't grab you as much given the preference for Diamond and Koi. I enjoy songs from those albums, but they don't grab me nearly as much. I think I read that Diamond Eyes was written in two months and I feel like it really shows it, and Koi expanded upon that direction but didn't go as far as I had been hoping. (I know plenty of fans love the straight forward songs, e.g. Rocket Skates or Swerve City, but I much prefer the more expansive and/or left-of-center tracks, e.g. Royal, This Place is Death, Leathers, and What Happened to You?

Anyway, I hope it grows on you and as well. If it doesn't, though, you're far from alone; Gore has divided even the most hardcore fans. I'm just going to keep enjoying the hell out of Geometric Headdress and Phantom Bride.

You're missing the charm of Diamond Eyes if you see it like that. The charm is that they got their energy back as a band after all the bullshit, that's why it's so direct :) I think Koi easily eats up all of their albums. It doesn't have any stupid songs at all (which I do think for instance White Pony has) and Chino sounds like a rabid pack of wolves on every note. It also covers the numetal/dreamy dynamic perfectly, something Gore definitely fails to do. My favorite tracks are probably Romantic Dreams, Leathers and Tempest.. in those you get a solid dose of both styles delivered in a creative manner :)

I didn't mean to sound that negative actually, first three and last three are super hits. It's just not Koi.. hahaha :D

Reactions: winters epilogue
You're missing the charm of Diamond Eyes if you see it like that. The charm is that they got their energy back as a band after all the bullshit, that's why it's so direct :) I think Koi easily eats up all of their albums. It doesn't have any stupid songs at all (which I do think for instance White Pony has) and Chino sounds like a rabid pack of wolves on every note. It also covers the numetal/dreamy dynamic perfectly, something Gore definitely fails to do. My favorite tracks are probably Romantic Dreams, Leathers and Tempest.. in those you get a solid dose of both styles delivered in a creative manner :)

I didn't mean to sound that negative actually, first three and last three are super hits. It's just not Koi.. hahaha :D

Oh, you didn't sound negative, I totally get where you're coming from. I like all of their albums, so we're not so much disagreeing* as we are showing our respective tastes.

Re: Diamond Eyes. It definitely captured the renewed energy, and I like it for that, I just only feel like returning to about half the songs. To my ears, it was a great EP and then a few songs that could've used a little more detail work.

Re: Koi No Yokan. Romantic Dreams had a lot of great ideas, I just didn't love how the parts gelled together. I think Acid Hologram did a better job of that. Chino does sound great on Koi for sure, but almost to a fault—he can't perform all the songs live very well. (Leathers, for instance, was dropped after two shows.)

While the vocal production is rougher on Gore, I feel confident that it's very true to Chino's current sound. Based on the live videos released so far, with the exception of that first show back where he was obviously sick, he's been nailing these songs.

* Well, except the "stupid songs" comment re: White Pony. I love that album straight through. (Err, actually, unless you're referring to the re-released version with Back to School. That song sucks and should never have been added to the album.)

- - -

Celtic Frost - Synagoga Satanae