Now Playing

That's a cool song, chriscc. I really dig the part around 3:12.

I think Myrath's stuff is cool, and they pull off that Eastern-sounding vibe really well. However, the problem I have with them is that every song I've heard has that same tonality! I wanted to like them a lot, since I know Symphony X is their favorite band (and I can definitely hear some of their influence), but I wish their soundscape was broader. I've only heard Desert Call in full, though. Is this new album more of the same?

That's what I've found with their music too. It isn't bad, but there just isn't enough diversity within itself it seems. I had a hard time listening to the new album because I just got bored after a few tracks and listened to something else.

Not all in Myrath´s catalogue it´s like "Desert Call"...

This one even has a "Jazzy Verse", if that does even exist...

It´s in their debut album, their most interesting and diverse one. Recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:
New Subsignal album is out in Europe, so it's on the internet.

Not all in Myrath´s catalogue it´s like "Desert Call"...

This one even has a "Jazzy Verse", if that does even exist...

It´s in their debut album, their most interesting and diverse one. Recommended!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z-wasZu7yc

That is the best Myrath song I've ever heard! Granted, I've only heard Desert Call and one track from the newest album (and only once each), but this is more to my tastes. It can get a bit wanky, but it's never over-the-top. I hear a lot of Adagio influence in there, which I love!

By the way, did they have a different vocalist on this album? I don't seem to recall the vocals being as good as they are on this song.

Now Playing This:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jOPOBlJ3I&feature=related[/ame]

Ummm... who is this chick? She is amazing! Her kit sounds great... very similar to Gavin Harrison's. Canadian FTW!

...and here's a metal chick doing a fantastic job!

I've always wondered the same thing.

What I have understood, is that the presente keyboard player (Elyes Bouchoucha) did also the vocals of "Hope"... then, before "Desert Call", Myrath got a new singer...

"Hope" is maybe the only Myrath album that I will recommend... Check out "Seven Sins", or "Confession", or "Hope"!!!

Their infuences may pop-out, but at least they´re not repeating themselves, as in "Tales of the Sands"...

I don't know that much about drums, but that chick is good. REALLY good.

The style in which she is playing is extremely difficult to master. It is indicative of many years of practise and studying. So many dynamics, and so much feeling.
Her "pocket" is dead-on... keeping time that well while manipulating the bars and feel like she does takes a considerable amount of talent.
It is harder to play what she plays in that video than most prog metal, IMO.

I think you will appreciate this. It's hilarious too.

What I have understood, is that the presente keyboard player (Elyes Bouchoucha) did also the vocals of "Hope"... then, before "Desert Call", Myrath got a new singer...

That's too bad. They should have just let their keyboard player sing on the more recent albums. I like his voice much better than the other guy's.

Their infuences may pop-out, but at least they´re not repeating themselves, as in "Tales of the Sands"...

So I take it the new album is Desert Call part two?

The style in which she is playing is extremely difficult to master. It is indicative of many years of practise and studying. So many dynamics, and so much feeling. Her "pocket" is dead-on... keeping time that well while manipulating the bars and feel like she does takes a considerable amount of talent. It is harder to play what she plays in that video than most prog metal, IMO.

What I like about her is that she's very technical yet also feels the groove and is clearly into what she is playing. I see a lot of drummers who are just machines and seem like they feel nothing they play, while others overdo how much they feel it and aren't too technical.

I think you will appreciate this. It's hilarious too.

Words can't describe it. I love all the ghost notes on the snare! Harlequin Forest is another fave from this album, also with great drumming!

That's too bad. They should have just let their keyboard player sing on the more recent albums. I like his voice much better than the other guy's.

Yeah, I do like it better too... What I have noticed is that in live shows He (The keyboardist) still does some singing, (but not lyrical singing), especifically in some "Oriental Passages" that some Myrath´s songs have.

So I take it the new album is Desert Call part two?

Tough question. I like it better (So you can infer that DC is their weakest album IMO), but I surely understand why it can be "boring". The identity of each song is lost (or inexistant) underneath the band´s identity, their "Oriental Prog Metal".
Besides, lacks of epics songs like "Seven Sins" or "My Inner War", so it seems like a mainstream effort. I´m preety sure that in TotS you will find a few outstanding songs or songs-sections as I did, but in general it´s not a masterpiece. Give it a chance anyways!

I don't know what you mean. That's the album track from DT's new album so I would expect it to sound the same for everyone.

^

Thanks for posting this song man!!!

But I must say I do prefer a lot the studio version, because I haven´t heard in my entire life such a disgusting keyboard tone like the one in this video. Also not fan of this type of jazzy-piano soloing, sometimes can be so sterile...