Now Playing

twelfth night,the most underestimated new prog band ,I must confess they were
more complex and conceptual than Marillion,Pendragon ,Iq,Pallas,besides their style was very original.Check "Fact and fiction","Live and let live" and their
gratest hits "The collector"with the masterpiece suite "The collector".Needless to
say I prefeir geoff mann to Andy Sear,even if "X" wasn't so bad

twelfth night,the most underestimated new prog band ,I must confess they were
more complex and conceptual than Marillion,Pendragon ,Iq,Pallas,besides their style was very original.Check "Fact and fiction","Live and let live" and their
gratest hits "The collector"with the masterpiece suite "The collector".Needless to
say I prefeir geoff mann to Andy Sear,even if "X" wasn't so bad
Tough to say. Twelfth Night was a band basically destined to have a cult following, just from the nature of their music. But all of the major neo-prog bands produced at least one incredible studio album:

Marillion - Fugazi
Pendragon - The Jewel
Twelfth Night - Fact and Fiction
IQ - The Wake
Pallas - The Sentinel

IQ and Pendragon, IMO, are still getting better as bands to this day. TN doesn't release new material really, Pallas is hit or miss, and Marillion, for all the people who love them, seems to be rehashing the same thing they were doing 10+ years ago by this point.

Speaking of Neo-Prog, Arena is fantastic, Frost's Milliontown is brilliant, and Pineapple Thief has an extremely strong catalogue.
Pineapple Thief is one of the rarities; they are barely known, but they have a bunch of solid releases. I love coming across these bands.

:headbang: I have an app called "Soundhound" on my phone. Soundhound uses the microphone to record a short clip, and it tries to recognize songs.
I got it to recognize my Paradise Lost MIDI I wrote a few years back without hesitation, just playing it out of my computer speakers.

Awesome.

Speaking of Neo-Prog, Arena is fantastic, Frost's Milliontown is brilliant, and Pineapple Thief has an extremely strong catalogue.
Pineapple Thief is one of the rarities; they are barely known, but they have a bunch of solid releases. I love coming across these bands.
True that - I haven't heard Pineapple Thief, though. Arena has a new release coming out soon, I think. I wasn't thrilled by Pepper's Ghost, but all of their albums prior to that are solid, and The Visitor through Contagion are great.

Since "Pure" and with the new drummer,Pendragon are like a new band,I mean that they changed their style a little bit without losing the old fans.I like their
new musical path because since "The world " they were keeping on repeating
themselves,now they're much better than Pallas and IQ,they are a band with
good musicians and they've got the best newprog's keyboard player (Nolan)
I don't know what to say about "Passion",simply awesome,maybe better than "Pure",then what about the magic touch of Barret's guitar ? He's like a perfect mix between Gilmour and Andy Latimer (Camel). About Pallas,I really enjoyed "The dream of men",not this new one (XXV), but if I have to suggest a good new prog band ,check Magic Pie ,then the last Subsignal (with former members of Sieges Even).Keep progging

I think I'd still take IQ over Pendragon, though it's coming awfully close - Frequency is one of my all-time favorite albums. As for Pallas, I thought XXV was okay but not spectacular, and Dreams of Men was just a mess (I don't know why everyone loves it). Subsignal's new album is good but not as good as their first one, and Magic Pie fucking sucks.

I can keep this opinion train rolling all day!

Basically all of Pineapple Thief is great... but I guess a good place to start would be "Tightly Unwound". You won't be disappointed!

I have 4 albums by these guys, and they are all great. Even their new album that came out last year was a great follow-up to "Tightly Unwound".

I don't know if you've ever heard about Big Big train,one of their last cd contains
an epic called "Great wide open sea",awesome track if you like Marillion with Hogarth and Genesis.As for Arena,I saw them 3 times ,the best for me was at
"Visitor"tour,I'm not really impressed about Pepper's ghost but I consider John
Mitchell one of the best rock guitar player ( look at his solo in "Serenity").Let's see what happens with the new singer and the return of John Jowitt

Have you ever heard about Discipline? they only did 2 albums ,"Push and profit"
and "Unfolded like staircase" ,among the best prog in the last 15 years.Speaking of new prog,how not mention the aussie Aragon with "Don't bring the rain"and
the wonderful concept "Mouse"

Have you ever heard about Discipline? they only did 2 albums ,"Push and profit"
and "Unfolded like staircase" ,among the best prog in the last 15 years.Speaking of new prog,how not mention the aussie Aragon with "Don't bring the rain"and
the wonderful concept "Mouse"
Yeah, I think Discipline has a new album (or is about to?) Haven't heard it though.

I finally found a good Pain of Salvation song!

Last edited by a moderator: