Now Playing

Today is a metal day. This is from what's probably the best straight heavy metal album I've heard this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! And I mean it, too. There's a prog album by the band Satellite called Nostalgia that has some disco influences - it reminded me of that. Good stuff all around. :kickass:

I have that album, and if I am not mistaken, you are referring to the song "Am I Losing Touch". There is a kind of old cop movie soundtrack type of part that eventually turns into a disco-type part... it's actually quite awesome. My favourite track on the album.

I have that album, and if I am not mistaken, you are referring to the song "Am I Losing Touch". There is a kind of old cop movie soundtrack type of part that eventually turns into a disco-type part... it's actually quite awesome. My favourite track on the album.
That's the one!

Thanks to your suggestions I heard Leprous's Bilateral and I think that is the best
album of the year.Unfortunately I was sick so I couldn't see them in Milan supporting Amorphis,shame on me!!!!

^ This song has one of my favourite vocal performances in it (and I attempt to sing it all the time when I'm alone........).
"Through AAALLL" at the 40 second mark just slays me...
Good choice :)

Agreed, "Her Voices" has some really outstanding vocal lines :kickass:... I also like the way how the nice instrumental interlude diverges from the sound of the "main sections" of the songs, both nice on their own way!

Speaking of awesome vocals, have you tried Haken´s Visions? It´s a really great album, but not as Aquarium, that´s for sure...

If not, here´s some try, listen to the vocals from 9:22... so fuckin´out of this world!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this album in my cart, but took it out at the last second. I found the album to be too traditional in the prog style, and I know I wouldn't listen to it enough to warrant a purchase.
Nice vocals at that part you mentioned for sure :)

Actually... that entire ending was great. I may buy this album based on that now...

Just come back from the first leg of Vinnie Moore's italian tour,it was a small
pub but very crowded,he had a band with all italian musicians.Wonderful ,he played 2 Hendrix covers too but the climax was "The maze",then he went to the pub making photos and autopraphs

I had this album in my cart, but took it out at the last second. I found the album to be too traditional in the prog style, and I know I wouldn't listen to it enough to warrant a purchase.
Nice vocals at that part you mentioned for sure :)

Actually... that entire ending was great. I may buy this album based on that now...

Yeah, the sound of Visions is more "traditional" within the prog style than Aquarius´ (I´m a big fan of the latter :kickass:)... but it still has some uniqueness and great parts all around it!

It´s nice to hear you´re reconsidering it :)

^ This album has some of the tastiest bass parts in prog I've ever heard. It's great all-around imo.

That´s really an achivement if we take in count that Thomas McLean (Guitars in To-Mera) has only like 3 years playing bass.

Are you sure he's only played for 3 years? I know he was on guitars in To-Mera before Haken, but perhaps he was a bassist as well. Never read an interview with him though.
Whatever the case, I think the guy is a better bassist than guitarist (which could already be qualified as exceptional). :worship:

Are you sure he's only played for 3 years? I know he was on guitars in To-Mera before Haken, but perhaps he was a bassist as well. Never read an interview with him though.
Whatever the case, I think the guy is a better bassist than guitarist (which could already be qualified as exceptional). :worship:

No, it´s actually a little more. I read an interview where he said that started playing bass when he was 25, with Haken as his first project as a bass player.

The thing is that, as a guitar player it won´t be difficult to play bass, but at first you will play it as a guitarist. Playing (and writing) bass lines as a bassist, requires a lot more training though, and being capable of that in such a relatively short time, is what I think is impressive.

Haken sounds like someone designed a specific form of prog music just to piss me off.
:lol:

There is something about it that makes me queasy. They have all these influences, but they're only influences acquired second-hand after being run through other prog metal acts. All the jazz fusion and circus music and death growls and constant sympho-keyboards and Dream Theater vocal lines...not my thing.