Now reading:

Tiff

Planned Obsolescence
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
www.myspace.com
You seem like a fairly literate bunch. Anyone read anything good lately? I decided to stay in tonight to finish up the two books I'm currently working on:

Books of Blood, Volume 5-Clive Barker
Survivor-Chuck Palahniuk

Currently juggling between

The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies (for my English course)
Revolt Against The Modern World by Julius Evola (rereading for self interest)

and I recently finished The Invincible by Guido Von List, but that was less of a book and closer to a short 40 page booklet. I read the whole thing in a day.

I've been working on reading "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon

will I ever finish it?? WHO KNOWS, probably the same week I finish reading Finnegans Wake *thrust!*

I read much.

I just finished that epic piece of dense work known as "Walden". Man, I love Thoreau's philosophy.

I'm reading this shitty sci fi novel called "The Scar". It's only as a breather before I read the last two books of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. M, S, and T is fucking so original/awesome. Tad Williams is definitely in my top two favorite authors.

I'm within sight of the end of "Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls" about castaways and other types of survivors. I absolutely love this book. The section "The Delicate Question Which" is about casting lotteries on who was to be eaten when the food source dried up. :hotjump:

Before that I read "Into The Wild", a touching, true story of Chris McCandless, a young man whom could not find a place in society and then became a vagabond. He tragically met his end in the Alaskan wilds.

A Trace Of Blood said:
I just finished that epic piece of dense work known as "Walden". Man, I love Thoreau's philosophy.

cool stuff. I started that one over christmas but I got a bit tired after the huge "economy" chapter at the beginning. Of course I'll have to pick it up later, since I did finish that section, and I'm told that it gets much better after that.

MajestikMøøse said:
cool stuff. I started that one over christmas but I got a bit tired after the huge "economy" chapter at the beginning. Of course I'll have to pick it up later, since I did finish that section, and I'm told that it gets much better after that.

I actually had the same "problem". I recently picked it up after probably six months of having stopped in the economy chapter. You've got to be dedicated to get through it, no doubt, but it's such an enlightening experience.

My recent reads are

"Get Tough" by W.E. Fairbairn
"Moving Pictures" by Terry Pratchett
"Ulysses" by James Joyce (makes my second time through this book)

the books I'm currently reading:

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (pretty gruesome stuff)
Thoreau's Letters to a Spiritual Seeker
Reality by Jim Baggott (philosophical modern wank shite)

I just finished Ian Irvine's Well of Echoes-quartet and I recommend them very highly. If you like your fantasy to be more grim and devoid of stupid clichés like dragons and wizards with pointy hats, give them a chance. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I finished up all of the collected works of Kurt Vonnegut. Now I am reading that Beavis and Butthead book I have talked about before.

I love Vonnegut, and I also like sci-fi by Orson Scott Card.

I have just finished reading Silent Bob Speaks, The Collected works of Kevin Smith. It is a collection of articles he has written, very funny indeed.

Also, I'm reading lots of text books for skewl. :Smug:

kittybeast said:
I got sucked into the Harry Potter books, currently on #3 Prisoner of Azkaban.

They are quite entertaining for a quick light read.
DID ANYONE BESIDES ME NOTICE THAT THE FIRST ONE WAS A SCREEN PLAY??? TO ME AT LEAST IT SEEMS REALLY FUCKING OBVIOUS THAT THE AUTHOR WROTE THE FIRST BOOK WITH THE CLEARLY THOUGHT OUT PLAN OF HAVING IT MADE INTO A MOVIE

A Trace Of Blood said:

Oh I hate that book so much. I read the whole thing and I think it sucks. He contradicts himself so much and is such a selfrightous bastard. Glad you liked it though...