Now Reading...

Yes.. Everything he ever did was exceptionally well-written. My favorites are the Discworld novels (all 40 of them) and Good Omens, written with Neil Gaiman.

Thanks! I've always had an interest in Pratchett, but was overwhelmed by the sheer number of books. It will be fun to trod down the page-worn paths of Discworld as soon as I finish my current crop of crap...

51IMo-y9W4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

John Grisham/Gray Mountain - Seriously, is he hiring high school students to ghostwrite his stuff now? Some of the dialogue was so awkward it was painful to read. And I kept thinking it was going to turn into a fast-paced courtroom drama, but no such luck. Slow and plodding throughout. Really miss the fast pacing from "The Firm", "A Time to Kill", "The Runaway Jury", etc...

Sadly, this has become commonplace. Witness the decline in quality of Grisham, Baldacci, Cussler, Patterson, the list could go on and on. Unfortunately, the full extent to which writers/publishers depend on ghost writing is THE dirty little secret of the publishing industry. Publishers have always been about profits of course...but today they are about INSTANT profits. What that translates into is this: Just had a HUGE bestseller last month? Then the sequel better already be in the pipeline.

It's the same in the music industry. Massive platinum selling success causes record company execs to contractually require that follow up release within the year. Can't just create on demand? Too bad. Then you'd better grind out some piece of crap that we can market to the hilt because we are making new record - whether you like it or not. It's the reason so many follow up discs suck and bands never again reach the level of their debut.

This is obviously even worse in publishing, where writers block is a way-of-life but publishers deadlines WILL be met regardless. Hi John, this is Bill and Rick and Judy and they are going to "co-write" your new book.

Sorry. I know this isn't a discussion thread. Just bugs me.

Unfortunately, the full extent to which writers/publishers depend on ghost writing is THE dirty little secret of the publishing industry.

The idea of ghostwriting doesn’t bother me so much with biographies, but for fiction, I think it should be disclosed up front. (I lost interest in Patterson many years ago, but at least he does this). In fact, there’s a name for ghostwriting in the art world - forgery.

Although if a particular book is a disappointment (particularly as a series wraps up), hard to say if a ghostwriter is involved or if the author is under pressure from his/her publisher - or if they are just sick of the series and just too tired and lazy to do it right.

Case in point, just finished the last book in the “Odd Thomas” series. It was a decent read (and to be fair, the vast majority of Amazon reviews are 5-star), but I was expecting something much more grand for the finale.

Next up:

Pam Grout: E-Squared
Gretchen Rubin: Better Than Before

51BWQlxGw2L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Closing Speed by Ted West.

It's a fictionalized story of the 1970 Sports Car World Championship which was probably the golden year of sports car racing with the Porsche 917 and the Ferrari 512. It's a bit overwritten (he's trying to hard), but the racing/car parts of the story make up for it. As a car nut, I'm into it.

Have been on a comedy kick lately...

Just finished: Amy Poehler - "Yes, Please" (enjoyed it)
Currently reading: Dave Barry - "Live Right and Find Happiness" (laugh out loud hilarious, as usual)
Next Up: Rachel Dratch: "Girl Walks in to a Bar"

18476102.jpg

I had to see what all of the Hugo Sad Puppies hubbub was about. Let me tell you, it has a real Forever War feel about it. This is not a rah-rah mil SF book. A nice change of pace in the genre. (Also not QUITE Hugo nom worthy, IMO). So close.