Now Reading...

Just finished The Devil You Know by Mike Carey, and I thought it was outstanding. It kept me intrigued from cover to cover (which is often hard to do) and I ended up finishing it in 4 days. Felix Castor is my favorite lead character since Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's FBI Agent Aloysius Pendergast. I'll be getting the sequel tonight.

In the meantime, I just started M.J.Rose's The Reincarnationist. The first few chapters are good, I'll let you know how it turns out...

Just finished The Devil You Know by Mike Carey, and I thought it was outstanding.

Thanks for the recommendation. That's a book that I have had for awhile but haven't read yet.

I am currently reading "Dead To The World" by Charlaine Harris.

Just finished "Anatomy of an Illness as Perceived by the Patient" by Norman Cousins. His theories about the mind-body connection were definitely ahead of his time!

Also just picked these up for the trip to Atlanta:

Helen Fielding - Cause Celeb
Dean Koontz - Forever Odd

Started reading " John Dies at the End" by David Wong. Someone posted it here a while back. No, I didn't pay the $180 for a copy at Amazon, WTF?!?!?!?! You can read it free on the authors website. In my case, dumped it down to a PDA, but same difference.

I like it so far, a few chapters in. Fun book so far.

Still making my through Sherrilyn Kenyon's works. I recently finished Night Play and Upon A Midnight Clear. The first is part of the "Dark-Hunter" series, the second is from her "Dream-Hunter" collection. I enjoyed Night Play well enough, the characters were well-developed and the story really sunk it's teeth into the Dark-Hunter world a bit more. It seemed somehow familiar though I couldn't put it down for hours everytime I picked it up.

Upon A Midnight Clear was, to be honest, a little disappointing. First, the type was obnoxiously "large" for an adult fiction novel and I felt it was increased just to stretch the amount of pages, which was already too short for a $7.00 book. Kinda felt like a rip off. Second, the story was very predictable with only 2 or 3 things worth noting. It seemed half of the text was reiterating the character's feelings so it's made absolutely clear that we know how they feel. Within 100 pages, I already knew the basic frame-work of the story and I started to wonder why I hadn't noticed Kenyon's formula before: Strong or independant woman of average-looks meets stubborn or arrogant guy who is really good-looking. Tension turns to sexual tension which produces yet another female-dominant sex scene with unrealistic satisfaction, and then births love and devotion. Abuse the phrases "he cupped her head in his hand" and "he inclined his head to her". Toss in a few supernatural fight scenes. Make note of how "impossible" their love seems to be. Enter mythological entity of supreme power to grant them a favor that will allow them to be together forever. Short dialogue then switch to either a character's thoughts or a flashback to tell about the other party. The two now defeat whatever ill-fate had brought them together under unfavorable conditions. Everyone is changed, everyone is in love, old enemies make friends but exchange 'friendly banter' at every opportunity.......... The same storyline that can be found in at least 3 of her books, and counting. Maybe Upon A Midnight Clear was written just to give a background on the two characters before they are introduced into a large, more fulfulling story.

Then I started Dream Chaser, and I'm not surprised to read the same formula with different names. I'd have put this one down already, based soley on not being able to sit through it anymore, but it's "required reading" before cracking open her latest book Acheron, which I am looking forward to greatly! I have high hopes for Acheron because it is going to dig into the past of my favorite character and tell us where he came from. It came out in early August but I held off on buying it until last weekend so I wouldn't be tempted to skip the preceding books. I just have to grind my teeth through the rest of Dream Chaser for the sake of learning the characters introduced, THEN I can get into Acheron! I'm not crazy about it only being available in hardback, though. I understand that it's a really big addition to Kenyon's works, but it's just so much more cumbersome to read :-\ Border's told me that St Martin's Press isn't releasing Acheron as a paperback for A YEAR!! Is that normal?

With storms from Hurricane Ike heading my way, I'll likely get a lot of reading-with-a-flashtime time in this weekend, so I'll let you know if Dream Chaser actually breaks from the formula. lul.

All of that being said, I absolutely adore Kenyon's writing style and her ability to tell a good story, regardless of similarities. Every author I've really enjoyed has had a few books that didn't resonant with me, or have something that I don't like. Kenyon is still my favorite, heads about the rest. I recommend The Dream-Hunter, Seize The Night, and Night Play. Hopefully Acheron will be added to that list too!

I understand that it's a really big addition to Kenyon's works, but it's just so much more cumbersome to read :- Border's told me that St Martin's Press isn't releasing Acheron as a paperback for A YEAR!! Is that normal?

Actually, yes, that's very normal...except sometimes bestsellers are released a little quicker to continue riding the wave of buzz around a title. I think Acheron is scheduled for paperback in April '09, but don't quote me...it depends on how well the hardback continues to sell. Titles change release dates A LOT before they're nailed down for sure, and usually publishers like to have a new hardback to promote at the same time the previous title hits paperback.

...just a little insight to the publishing world. :D

Rakosh is right, it is very normal.

My favorite of Sherri's books that I have read is "Dance With The Devil." What I like about Sherri's writing style is that it reads like she talks. No one else could write in that same tone, it's pretty uniquely her.

I'm nearly done with "The Stand," (which is a pretty decent book and reminds me why I used to like King) and while I was at the doctor's office I started on Joe Haldeman's "Forever Peace" -- not quite sure where he's going with this yet, but I'm only seventy pages in and he comes highly regarded.

I guess I've never bought a book as soon as it's come out then. But wait a minute... "Dream Chaser" came out this year, in paperback. I guess if it comes as hardback first, then it's a year until paperback, but not all books are printed as hardback?

I haven't made my way through "Dance With The Devil" yet. In fact, that one isn't as easy to find here for some reason. Ruthven, do you think I should read "Devil May Cry" before "Acheron"? I agree about her writing style, I do enjoy it immensely! The flow is very nice and easy to follow, which makes it easy to keep track of so many characters.

I really should read some of Sherri's books; she's a really nice person. I'm wondering if that freebie they were giving out at Dragon*Con (Seize the Night) is a decent place to start..... (And they must have given away at least 500 copies... :kickass: )

I really should read some of Sherri's books; she's a really nice person. I'm wondering if that freebie they were giving out at Dragon*Con (Seize the Night) is a decent place to start..... (And they must have given away at least 500 copies... :kickass: )

That's "Seize the Night." Her publisher seemed to think that was a good jumping-on point. That is one I missed but I plan on reading it soon.

Tammy - I haven't read up to "Devil May Cry," so I don't know how it fits in, but it seems like it might be a good idea to read it first.

Regarding "Dance With The Devil" - the protaganist begins as m****ly ambivalent and "icky." Coming from a horror background, I didn't think anything of it. But Sherri told me that since it was published as "Romance," she had a rough time with readers when it first came out. Now I think that is one of the "fan favorites" in that series.

One of these years, I am going to eventually talk Sherri into coming to ProgPower. \m/

"Seize the Night" is really great! It's true that it's a good jumping-on point. It has several confusing typos in it, but that is very a-typical of her books! It's one of my favorites in the series.

Tammy - I haven't read up to "Devil May Cry," so I don't know how it fits in, but it seems like it might be a good idea to read it first.
I found it in the drug store down the street from my house and almost bought it. I don't have the extra cash, atm, but it's too late because I'm already 340 pages into "Acheron" - I couldn't help myself! Maybe I'll buy "Devil May Cry" for the flight to/from ATL. "Acheron" is too big to pack... and I might be finished by then! :p It's easily the best book in her series, by a landslide!

What?

One of these years, I am going to eventually talk Sherri into coming to ProgPower. m/
Heck yeah! Please do! She was very nice at NY Comic*Con, and with the descriptions of her male characters she must have a metal streak ;) hehe!

Heck yeah! Please do! She was very nice at NY Comic*Con, and with the descriptions of her male characters she must have a metal streak ;) hehe!

I think Ruthven told me at one time that she does have an interest in the genre.
On the other side of the musical scale, I know that she likes The Cruxshadows; she named a story after one of their songs...and name-dropped Dragon*Con and some of 'our' bands therein. :)