Now Reading...

I finished Acheron from Sherrilyn Kenyon last night. Hands down, the best book I've ever read. Yes, eventually it took the same ol' path that most of her books do, but she is clearly capable of writing amazing stories. The majority of the book is about Acheron's past. I wish she would write more stories like this, and less "sarcastic and playful" action-romance books. She is so damn skilled at telling a fine, and gruesome, story. I truly can't wait until her next big work comes out!

Surprisingly, and much to my delight, Sherrilyn is doing only a a few book signings for the rest of the year - two are within a few miles of my home! What are the chances?

Oct 11, 2-4 PM
Plano, TX
Booksigning- free and open to the public
Borders
1601 Preston Road, Suite J
Plano, TX 75093

Oct 12, 2-5 PM
Richardson, TX
Buns N Roses Literacy Tea
Radisson Hotel
1981 North Central Expressway
Richardson, Texas 75080
Click Here For More Info

Oct 17-19
New Orleans, LA
K-Con
Click here for More Info
There will be a booksigning that will be free and open to the public TBD

You can bet I'll be there with my copy of Acheron in hand. Now I'm glad I got the hardback edition :p

Since Acheron was too big to carry with me to ProgPower, I bought Devil May Cry in a little paperback for the trip. I got a few chapters in during the weekend, came home to finish the other, and have leapt back into it now. Reading Devil May Cry wasn't necessary before Acheron, but it basically kills DMC to read it after. I already know what happens. LOL!

It took a little while to get used to the big hardback book. I even bought a little prop-up laptop table thingy so I could read hands-free. Now it's difficult to go back to a little paperback. :loco:

Currently reading the Mars trilogy. Nearly complete with Red Mars and will then immediately start into Green Mars. Very fascinating take on what martian colonization could be like.

Surprisingly, and much to my delight, Sherrilyn is doing only a a few book signings for the rest of the year - two are within a few miles of my home! What are the chances?

Be sure to get there early. Trust me; she's been drawing sometimes-enormous crowds.
--As well she should; she is a New York Times #1 bestseller and she is more accessible than most authors who reach that pinnacle.

And she's really nice. Tell her 'hello' from Derek and Paul of Dragon*Con. :)

I recently read that she did a signing for 14 hours. (!)
I have to believe that she might hold the record for largest book-signing, at least unofficially. Last I heard, Kevin J. Anderson (also a hoopy frood) held the official Guiness record, but Sherri may well have eclipsed it.

Be sure to get there early. Trust me; she's been drawing sometimes-enormous crowds.
--As well she should; she is a New York Times #1 bestseller and she is more accessible than most authors who reach that pinnacle.
Good point, I should plan to get there well in advance. I tend to forget that if I can find her books in Albertson's then she's probably popular enough to show up a few hours early for :p

And she's really nice. Tell her 'hello' from Derek and Paul of Dragon*Con. :)
I already told her hi for you both at New York Comic*Con! :p Jeez! ;)

I recently read that she did a signing for 14 hours. (!)
I have to believe that she might hold the record for largest book-signing, at least unofficially. Last I heard, Kevin J. Anderson (also a hoopy frood) held the official Guiness record, but Sherri may well have eclipsed it.
That might have been during Comic*Con. She was at her booth for hoooooours and there was a constant line of people getting their books signed. Then again, I don't think a Comic*Con day would last that long.. at any rate, she sure does clock in some impressive face-time with the audience. I can't wait til the signings! Too bad I'll have all of 20 seconds when I wish I could just sit there and gab for hours about her stories. Especially after just reading the massive 650+ page Acheron. I find myself literally having dreams about the story and walking around wishing I could help the characters or feeling bad about their situations. It isn't often I get that "connected" to characters or stories.

Anyway, I'll tell her you said Hi ;-)

I am currently enjoying my weekly subscription to The Hockey News :kickass:

Season starts this week BABY!!!! ... and I need all the stats to plan my fantasy team PERFECTLY

Now reading "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat"

This book is a collection of case studies centering around the human brain...well...basically going haywire. For me, it reads more like a collection of scary stories. "The Disembodied Lady" freaked me out to no end.

I’m on a kick where I am NOT buying any new books until I actually read all the ones I have. (I’ve done this before, and my willpower usually gives out before too long…)

I’m off tomorrow for a long weekend in Carlsbad and San Diego :)rock:) and pulled a couple of old selections off the bookshelf:

Stephen King – Different Seasons
Sean Astin – There and Back Again: An Actors Tale

Sean Astin – There and Back Again: An Actors Tale

Wow, I'd like to read this. Hadn't heard about it before.

I've finished Weber and Ringo's March to the Sea and am in a holding pattern at the moment. We Few, the fourth book in the series, should be arriving any day from Amazon, but I might read something else just for a change of pace.

Despite some occasionally mind-numbing passages about weapons and warfare, I've really enjoyed these so far. Militaristic SF isn't everyone's 'bag', though, and I'd expect others' mileage to vary. It's the characterization that finally hooked me, just as Weber did with his Honor Harrington series -- which rules.

Wow, I'd like to read this. Hadn't heard about it before.

It definitely didn't get much press. I hadn't heard about it either, until I found it in the bargain bin at Barnes & Noble a few months ago for $5.98!

Shoot me a PM if you would like me to send it to you when I'm done...it's probably not one that I will re-read.

NR: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Seize the Night. A freebie handed out at Dragon*Con. Well, okay, they had piles and towers of copies for people to grab. :heh:

I'm enjoying it so far. Although technically it could fall partly under the 'romance' genre, the racier passages have all been in good taste. I'm considering picking up Acheron to follow.....which is exactly as her publisher intended with the freebies. :lol:

Just bought 'Merlin' by Stephen Lawhead recently, but it's been a while since I read Taliesin' (the book that comes before 'Merlin' in the series) that I'm rereading it now so I'll be fresh with the story when I start on 'Merlin'.

Just started “A Lion Among Men – Volume Three in the Wicked Years.”

I had read that Gregory Maguire was finished writing about the Thropp family, so I was surprised to find this in an airport bookstore when I was on a recent trip. This one is apparently the history of the Cowardly Lion. Maguire’s Elphaba is one of my favorite literary characters *ever*, so I’m not quite as enthralled with this one as I was with Wicked…but it’s still kinda fun to be back in Oz.

Oh, and this means that my commitment to NOT buy any new books until I finish the ones I have lasted about...um...two weeks. :oops:

I just started "Sweet Silver Blues" by Glen Cook. This is the first book in the Garret P.I. series. Garret is a tough, guy, Mike Hammer type of P.I., but it's set in a fantasy world. I like it because it's funny. It's also pretty atypical of fantasy as it deals with the underbelly of society. It's pretty good stuff. The books don't have to be read in order at all. They are more like a collection of stories about the same guy rather than a series.

I've just started We Few by David Weber and John Ringo, the last in the "Prince Roger" series, since it came in the mail.

I enjoyed Kenyon's Seize the Night enough that I ordered her latest, Acheron, from http://www.DeepDiscount.com along with a CD*. They beat Amazon.com by about $2 on the total price; both had free shipping, although with DD, it's almost always free shipping. :kickass:

-=-=-=-
* Ozric Tentacles, Sunrise Festival (live)