Now Reading...

I'm finishing up book 1 of Mordant's Need by Stephen R. Donaldson

I've read those....I think it's that rarity in fantasy publishing, a TWO-book series (The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through).

I thought they were good, iirc. (Not as good as the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, though.)

As is often the case with SRD, bring a good dictionary and a crying towel to the table. :)

As a side note, the novel where SRD got those book-titles from, Silverlock by John Myers Myers, is quite excellent.

Wading through the 8th Malazan book, Toll the Hounds. Incredibly slow . Much slower than the last four or five. Also very depressing, so far. What do you expect when Tiste Andii (the Malazan goths) are involved?

I have the trifecta of Gypsy Morph (by Terry Brooks), Star Wars Force Unleashed novelization, and Paul of Dune from the library. I finished Force Unleashed the other day, and I expected much, much worse. A fairly entertaining read. We'll see about the other two.....

I've read those....I think it's that rarity in fantasy publishing, a TWO-book series (The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through).

I thought they were good, iirc. (Not as good as the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, though.)

As is often the case with SRD, bring a good dictionary and a crying towel to the table. :)

As a side note, the novel where SRD got those book-titles from, Silverlock by John Myers Myers, is quite excellent.

I may have to check Silverlock out. Thanks for the tip man. I love all the Covenant books. I've read all 8 of them so far. I still need to get into the Gap series though.

Following in Newt Gingrich's footsteps, I see. :)

I'm not well educated in American politics, but I found this very interesting article. It reads about Gingrich:
As he explained to aide Frank Gregorsky, "[W]hat I'm trying to convey to you is that I'm a figure who thinks in terms of 100-year increments, and I think in terms of civilization's rising and falling over 500-year increments."

I'm not well educated in American politics, but I found this very interesting article. It reads about Gingrich:
As he explained to aide Frank Gregorsky, "[W]hat I'm trying to convey to you is that I'm a figure who thinks in terms of 100-year increments, and I think in terms of civilization's rising and falling over 500-year increments."

Yep.

In a speech he gave at the Nebula Awards Banquet (where SF authors honor their own with their highest award) many years ago, Newt told us that he had become interested in history and social science thanks to Asimov's Foundation trilogy. It was a great speech, completely free of politics (except for some self-deprecatory jokes) and actually quite inspiring.

I'm reading "The Silent Blade" by R.A. Salvatore now. This, so far, the best book of the series IMO. It's not a fluffy and happy. The characters have some real emotional conflicts for a change. It's like a grown-up book.

I'm reading "The Silent Blade" by R.A. Salvatore now. This, so far, the best book of the series IMO. It's not a fluffy and happy. The characters have some real emotional conflicts for a change. It's like a grown-up book.

The Drizzt storyline definately gets more grown up as it progresses. The Hunter's Blades Trilogy is much darker than the fluffy reading of the first Icewind Dale books.

NR: Toll The Hounds - Steven Erikson.

Just finished reading all of the SOOKIE STACKHOUSE novels from Charlaine Harris. The Sookie Stackhouse novels is where the storyline of TRUE BLOOD on HBO comes from. The books are better than the series. There are 8 books and the series is starting with book 1.

Just finished reading all of the SOOKIE STACKHOUSE novels from Charlaine Harris. The Sookie Stackhouse novels is where the storyline of TRUE BLOOD on HBO comes from. The books are better than the series. There are 8 books and the series is starting with book 1.

I haven't completed that series but I plan on it shortly. Charlaine is one of those people who is universally loved in the urban fantasy fiction scene. Most of the writers I know who have met her speak very highly of her.