Now Reading...

Eric is the only Discworld book that disappointed me.

Did you read the graphic paperback with all of Kirby's art or the mass market paperback with just the text? I think all the art that went along with it originally was a big part of the concept, so I could see how reading it without them wouldn't hold up as well.

I haven't gotten to Unseen Academicals yet, I've been reading them in order and the last one I finished was Going Postal. So Thud is next up on that list. I agree that the A-M books tend to be the best. Some of the earlier ones were a bit weaker ("Guards! Guards!" was the first one I thought was exceptional) but he's been quite consistant since he hit his stride.

For those who care I'm 2/3 of the way though David McCullough's "1776" right now. Prior to that I finshed some more Cussler books ("Iceberg", "Raise the Titanic" and "Vixen 03") and the 2nd Tour of the Merrimack book by R.M. Meluch ("Wolf Star"). Up next will be one of Cussler's "Night Probe", McDevitt's "Polaris", the aforementioned "Thud" or the next Indiana Jones book. (I don't care what Glenn says, I've been enjoying Cussler :saint:)

I've been going through Mike Carey's Felix Castor series like candy. I'll probably finish book 4 tonight and start in on 5 tomorrow. The Kindle makes it all too easy to spend a lot of money on books in a short amount of time.

Did you read the graphic paperback with all of Kirby's art or the mass market paperback with just the text? I think all the art that went along with it originally was a big part of the concept, so I could see how reading it without them wouldn't hold up as well.

I haven't gotten to Unseen Academicals yet, I've been reading them in order and the last one I finished was Going Postal. So Thud is next up on that list. I agree that the A-M books tend to be the best. Some of the earlier ones were a bit weaker ("Guards! Guards!" was the first one I thought was exceptional) but he's been quite consistant since he hit his stride.

I've only read the paperback. I didn't even know there was a graphic novel version. I love Kidby's Discworld art, though. I may have to look into getting it. Absolutely loved The Last Hero. :)

I'm not far into Wise Man's Fear (maybe a fifth?) but so far this continues to hold true - I'm waiting for something to HAPPEN, but I'm enjoying the read nonetheless.

Amen. I like h'orderves, but at some point I need the steak or the meal is not enjoyed.

Next up:

Altar-of-the-Bones-by-Philip-Carter-197x297.jpg

That's the non-fiction book, right? I've been curious about it for a while. I'd like to hear what you think of it. Please post your comments when you're done.

Just finished it tonight. Yes its non-fiction and extremely well done. I did a history minor in college (and have a general love of American history) so I've read many history books and, honestly, most of them are as dull as dishwater. McCullough, though, creates a compelling narrative that reads like a story rather than a dry accounting of events. I've heard he's considered continuing to 1777 and I'd definitely be interested in that. I've seen the "John Adams" mini-series and will probably add that to my to read list, along with "The Path Between the Seas" (about the Panama Canal) which I hear is also excellent.

I'be started re-reading the Song of Fire and Ice series by Martin in preparation for A Dance With Dragons. I'm going to be pissed if it isn't released this summer.

I've only read the paperback. I didn't even know there was a graphic novel version. I love Kidby's Discworld art, though. I may have to look into getting it. Absolutely loved The Last Hero. :)

THAT one was awesome, yeah. Great artwork and Discworldian sense of humor. :)

I'be started re-reading the Song of Fire and Ice series by Martin in preparation for A Dance With Dragons. I'm going to be pissed if it isn't released this summer.

If it isn't released, There Will Be Trouble.* :lol:

I'm considering going back and re-reading the last book, at least, in preparation for the TV series. Reminder to self: order HBO from Comcast soonly!

----
* dang, GRRM just killed another Stark

And THAT'S why I've been reluctant of late to start complex major series. Even if I love them, I have so many different series going through my head, and they each have so many characters, plots, and subplots, that I have trouble remembering each nuance when a new book is released two years later. It's why I gave up on the Wheel of Time series (well that, and it just sucked) - after rereading the series one point five times, I couldn't stomach it again.

I finally broke down and started Game of Thrones this year. Now, I'm halfway through book two of Martin's books, so I should be able to make it through the yet unlreleased book 5 without a reread.

Books 6 and 7 - well, we'll see how long he takes for those.

Steve in Philly

I don't want to reread it before the HBO series. I figure if I do, I'll be pissed at all the "Hollywood" changes they make to it.

And THAT'S why I've been reluctant of late to start complex major series. Even if I love them, I have so many different series going through my head, and they each have so many characters, plots, and subplots, that I have trouble remembering each nuance when a new book is released two years later.

I think you said you like Glen Cook. If so, check out The Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. The final book just came out. They have a good Glen Cook feel (at least with the combat). They are complex though.

Just finished it tonight. Yes its non-fiction and extremely well done. I did a history minor in college (and have a general love of American history) so I've read many history books and, honestly, most of them are as dull as dishwater. McCullough, though, creates a compelling narrative that reads like a story rather than a dry accounting of events. I've heard he's considered continuing to 1777 and I'd definitely be interested in that. I've seen the "John Adams" mini-series and will probably add that to my to read list, along with "The Path Between the Seas" (about the Panama Canal) which I hear is also excellent.

Cool. I'll add that to my list.

A couple I've read that I really liked were "Battle Cry of Freedom" on the Civil War ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Cry-Freedom-Civil-War/dp/0345359429[/ame]

And
Crimson Sky: The Air Battle Over Korea [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1574881582/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y1JQN36VG52S9B9838F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

They both read like novels.

Amen. I like h'orderves, but at some point I need the steak or the meal is not enjoyed.

Next up:

Altar-of-the-Bones-by-Philip-Carter-197x297.jpg

Damn you, you keep putting up these great recommends and I am so far behind, In my queue is "Origin", "The Discovery of Witches" and now this one, my wife is gonna shoot either you or me. I just finished the "Relic" series. so tonight it's time to Start "Origin" but first a trip to Barnes and Nobles for Altar of Bones

Damn you, you keep putting up these great recommends and I am so far behind, In my queue is "Origin", "The Discovery of Witches" and now this one, my wife is gonna shoot either you or me. I just finished the "Relic" series. so tonight it's time to Start "Origin" but first a trip to Barnes and Nobles for Altar of Bones

Erase "Discovery of Witches" from your list....

I picked up "Directive 51" today by John Barnes in paperback today. It will be a few weeks before I get to it though.

I'm out of Felix Castor books, so I'm moving on to Ben Aaronovitch. His new series is similar to the Castor series, but with more of an American Gods vibe. Currently I'm reading the second book, Moon Over Soho.