Now Reading...

1000013918_LG.jpg

Already finished the first book in the trilogy, Running With the Demon. About to start on the second book, Knight of the Word, today.

Finished the Passing (I expected it to be something it wasn't, but it was still quite good).

Also finished the latest Rothfuss. His books seem to be more of a slog than most epics, I think it's because it's always from the same POV. All of the other big epics change often. The pages don't seem to fly by quite as fast...

Still haven't gotten to the last Erikson, or Stonewielder. I wanted to get through the above two first since they were library books and had an expiration date...

I thought this trilogy was the best stuff Brooks has ever written.

Of course, that's a bit like praising the best CD Poison ever released, but it's something!

10/10!

I'm a little over halfway through Wise Man's Fear. I am now encountering moments of "get on with it already," but it's still lovely.

Haters gonna hate.

:rolleyes: I'm not hating. It really is a good trilogy. I'm just recognizing where Brooks sits in the grand scheme of things. If I hated Brooks, the list of Brooks' novels I've read would not be this long:

The Sword of Shannara
Elftsones of Shannara
Wishsong of Shannara
The Scions of Shannara
The Druid of Shannara
The Elf Queen of Shannara
The Talismans of Shannara
First King of Shannara
Ilse Witch
Antrax
Morgawr
Jarka Ruus
Tanequil
Straken
Running with the Demon
A Knight of the Word
Angel Fire East
Armageddon's Children
The Elves of Cintra
The Gypsy Morph
Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold!
The Black Unicorn
Wizard at Large

Of all these trilogies and other -ologies, The Word & the Void is the best one, IMO.

In comparison, the list of Poison CDs I've heard all the way through is:

How much hate can that be?

BTW, if you do end up liking the whole trilogy, then be sure to read some of the original Shannara novels, because his next Word & the Void trilogy (starting w/ Armageddon's Children) begins to bridge the two worlds. When you read Sword of Shannara, be prepared for some serious "Helloooo JRR Tolkien!" , but Elfstones and Wishsong are much better.

Ken

Ken. Dude. Chill.

I'm pretty sure The Black Unicorn is Tanith Lee. Unless Brooks has a novel with the same title.

As I stated, this is my first time reading Brooks. I probably won't read much more once I finish this trilogy. The Shannara books never really interested me much.

I'm pretty sure The Black Unicorn is Tanith Lee. Unless Brooks has a novel with the same title.

He does. Second book in the Landover series.

I used to read a lot of his books when I was a kid, but most of his stuff lately hasn't interested me much. I do own a publishers proof of "The Elves Of Cintra", but I haven't read Shannara in so long that I don't know if it will mean much.

Harbour_350wide.jpg

Just finished the latest from Lindqvist...much better than the last one Handling the Undead. Then again, maybe I was suffering zombie burnout. Harbour has a nice Lovecraftian feel to it - creeping dread and elemental forces rising from the sea!

(Sorry about the huge image...couldn't get it to stick as a smaller one)

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through The Wise Man's Fear, and the Felurian escapade has officially turned me off to the point where I'm hesitant to pick the book up again. :bah: I WILL finish it, but I don't like feeling like I'm forcing myself to read something I've looked forward to...

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through The Wise Man's Fear, and the Felurian escapade has officially turned me off to the point where I'm hesitant to pick the book up again. :bah: I WILL finish it, but I don't like feeling like I'm forcing myself to read something I've looked forward to...

Yeah, that got pretty old pretty fast, and the following bit drags on a bit too, but it picks up again. (I probably have 100-150 pages left.)

Harbour_350wide.jpg

Just finished the latest from Lindqvist...much better than the last one Handling the Undead. Then again, maybe I was suffering zombie burnout. Harbour has a nice Lovecraftian feel to it - creeping dread and elemental forces rising from the sea!

(Sorry about the huge image...couldn't get it to stick as a smaller one)

I really enjoyed Handling the Undead. It was such an atypical zombie story, and had real heart. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

OK, I finished Horns and was really impressed. It's probably the closest thing to a Stephen King novel as I've ever read, but I guess that makes sense considering Hill is actually King's son. I'm onto Hill's Heart-Shaped Box now.

Finally done with Wise Man's Fear. First half or so is amazing. Two thirds of the second half is ... let's just say that while it's beautifully *written* and the episodes themselves are enjoyable, it doesn't really feel cohesive to me, and I hope that those particular episodes will have an impact on the greater story rather than just being one-shot adventures of Kvothe. The last third of the second half is, again, amazing.

Probably going to finish my reread of Abhorsen next, and I'm not entirely sure what's after that...