Now Reading...

Any F. Paul Wilson is a good thing...

One of my top author favorites, so I'd normally agree, but 'Midnight Mass' was the one book that I found average at very best. It seemed like he churned it out in a few hours and did nothing creative with it.

It wasn't a bad read, but not up to his usual standards.

Steve in Philly

One of my top author favorites, so I'd normally agree, but 'Midnight Mass' was the one book that I found average at very best. It seemed like he churned it out in a few hours and did nothing creative with it.

It wasn't a bad read, but not up to his usual standards.

Steve in Philly

I thought it was enjoyable, but kind of disposable. I enjoy Wilson's books, but they're rarely books that I feel compelled to re-read.

Just started Horns, by Joe Hill. I love the premise, and the first couple of chapters are quite good.

I picked this one up based upon your recommendation. I'm glad I did; this is good stuff.

Have you ever read Hell, by Robert Olen Butler? Aside from the obvious subject matter similarities, the two books have a similar feel to me.

I picked this one up based upon your recommendation. I'm glad I did; this is good stuff.

Have you ever read Hell, by Robert Olen Butler? Aside from the obvious subject matter similarities, the two books have a similar feel to me.

I have not, but will look into it. I'm reading Fluke, by Christopher Moore, right now and will be "beta testing" a new self-published zombie book shortly.

I have not, but will look into it. I'm reading Fluke, by Christopher Moore, right now and will be "beta testing" a new self-published zombie book shortly.

I really liked Fluke. Kona is one of my favorite characters in any of his books. On the whole, I rank it slightly behind Lamb and Fool as my favorite Chris Moore book.

That was a pretty good read. Nothing tops Fargo Rock City though.

FRC was great. I do have a degree of separation from it though, as it was not quite the music that I grew up with, though I was aware of it in the latter part of the 80s (I'm 32). Still, I read the book very quickly and found both his life and his comments on the music to be interesting. It led me to discover some of the old titles, particularly the one's he ranks the highest. I wish that he'd write more on modern music, as I also then went and read some of his various articles and found lots of newer good music to enjoy. Particularly stuff in the rock/indie rock genres that I don't think I ever would have listened to otherwise.

I checked out Hellhole from the library and read it last week. Cheesy, one D characters, not too original plot, but just good enough that I'll probably continue to check out the next two from the library. The prose is pretty much the same as the last few Dune books, so if you like that kind of story telling, that's what you'll get here.

now reading: Klosterman' Eating the Dinosaur. Back when I got these books it was some kind of a Kindle deal that if you ordered one you got the other for free. Anyhow, this is the first kindle book I've come across that isn't quite right. It starts out directly in the first article, none of the usual fluff. The articles don't have names, and there's weird formatting throughout and numbers next to paragraphs (not sure what the scheme is). Otherwise, I've only read the first couple articles, one on interviewing, and the other on the similarities of Cobain and Koresh (though a bit more just discussing Nirvana and In Utero).

Currently working on Rush, Rock Music and the Middle Class: Dreaming in Middletown by Chris McDonald. It is a scholarly work, much like a doctoral dissertation, that evaluates the music and lyrics of Rush through the lens of middle class society. It touches upon sociology, psychology, history, economics, ethnicity, and musicology. While I can't say it is enertaining, it is fascinating and thought provoking, particularly as it pertains to my visceral and cerebral responses to Rush's music.

Justin, I owe you a beer at XII. Horns was outstanding. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: just finished the Rush book. If you don't mind "conceptual density", to borrow a phrase from the book, this is an illuminating read. The author does a good job of explaining what is going on musically in several Rush songs, all while pointing out the hypocrisy of critical disdain for the band. I found the chapter on Rush's musical professionalism as a reflection of middle class values to be particularly intriguing.

now reading: Klosterman' Eating the Dinosaur. Back when I got these books it was some kind of a Kindle deal that if you ordered one you got the other for free. Anyhow, this is the first kindle book I've come across that isn't quite right. It starts out directly in the first article, none of the usual fluff. The articles don't have names, and there's weird formatting throughout and numbers next to paragraphs (not sure what the scheme is). Otherwise, I've only read the first couple articles, one on interviewing, and the other on the similarities of Cobain and Koresh (though a bit more just discussing Nirvana and In Utero).

The formatting and odd numbering was intentional, at least in the printed version. This was the book where I realized I was done with Klosterman. I just don't care enough about his observations on obscure sports figures and indy rock, and he isn't making me laugh anymore.

Finished Gardens of the Moon - the pace picked up hugely in the last third or so of the book and now I want more. Especially of Anomander Rake. Yay.

Also working through Eon by Alison Goodman and the Dark Swan bundle from Richelle Mead, though the ebook formatting messed up and had it so I was reading the last book first... whoops.

Finished Gardens of the Moon - the pace picked up hugely in the last third or so of the book and now I want more. Especially of Anomander Rake. Yay.

Sounds interesting. It is too bad that Fictionwise doesn't offer jack anymore as far as e-books, because I used to be able to get books like this at a decent price.

I just finished Vampire Hunter D by Hideyuki Kikuchi. I've been gradually picking up these books from the cheap manga table at cons and finally got around to reading the first book. Overall, pretty good and better than the movie from the standpoint that you have a better idea about the world situation and how people live.

Sounds interesting. It is too bad that Fictionwise doesn't offer jack anymore as far as e-books, because I used to be able to get books like this at a decent price.

Yeah, I bought an ebook reader a few months ago and I'm actually pretty disappointed at how expensive ebooks seem to be now. :/ When the electronic version is either the same price or even pricier than the physical version, I really have to question if it's worth it.

Be prepared. The second book is totally unlike the first book. It follows a whole different set of characters (for the most part). It starts slow, but build as it goes. It was a very moving book to me. I was disppointed with the ending though.

I'm reading the third book and it is back to the original set of characters. Rake is pretty prominent in this one compared to the first, but in no way a central character. It's good so far (3/4 done).

Yeah, I bought an ebook reader a few months ago and I'm actually pretty disappointed at how expensive ebooks seem to be now. :/ When the electronic version is either the same price or even pricier than the physical version, I really have to question if it's worth it.

I feel the same way, but having a Kindle has allowed me to try out a lot of cheap (as in .99) books from self-published authors. Sometimes you find some real gems.

Well, blame the publishers for trying to keep the same profit margin with e-books. Fortunately, I have had some options to go with. Baen has been a good resource. It is just too bad I'm not really into military SF.