Now Reading...

Speaking of Baen, I'm now reading 1635: The Cannon Law by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis, just underway.

Paul Of Dune improved muchly after its midpoint (a few good-sized battles and stuff helped a lot), to the point where I'm considering picking up the next one. I just hope it isn't in that weird "tall boy" paperback format. :erk:

Yeah, I noticed that Amazon's even been posting disclaimers on certain items - saying "This price was set by the publisher." I actually double-checked some of my invoices for ebooks I bought a few months ago and sure enough, they're pricier now.

Personally I don't foresee going the eReader route anytime soon. I like having a physical book for one. I like going to bookstores (used ones especially). I like having bookshelves full of hardcovers to take up space on my walls. Unless prices of used hardcovers (a vast majority of my book purchases) go up significantly I just don't see a good reason to change.

On the rare occasion when I'm going on a long trip where I will finish whatever book I'm currently reading then I'll.... bring a second book. Paperback even, if space is an issue.

Personally I don't foresee going the eReader route anytime soon. I like having a physical book for one. I like going to bookstores (used ones especially). I like having bookshelves full of hardcovers to take up space on my walls. Unless prices of used hardcovers (a vast majority of my book purchases) go up significantly I just don't see a good reason to change.

On the rare occasion when I'm going on a long trip where I will finish whatever book I'm currently reading then I'll.... bring a second book. Paperback even, if space is an issue.

I felt the same way until I started to run out of wall/shelf space. That and the small size of the latest Kindle won me over. I was a skeptic, but am definitely a believer now.

I just finished The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. It is a Mickey Haller (Lincoln Lawyer) novel that is largely set in the court room. As usual in a Connelly novel, it is fast paced, easy read. Expect a couple of curveballs.

He may just be the best world/magic builder there is currently.

Elantris was brilliant. I also enjoyed the Mistborn series. I absolutely loved "The Way of Kings."

Eh. Doesn't hold a candle to Steven Erikson, IMO.
Mistborn was a good series.
He's doing better with the Wheel of Time than Jordan was.
I quit on The Way of Kings about half way through.... What a bore.

Well, when your house is overflowing with stuff, maybe you will feel otherwise.

Personally, I like that, when there is downtime, all I need to do is whip out my phone and I have a book handy.

My Kindle and/or iPad are surgically attatched to me. I initially obtained a Kindle after an ultimatum from my wife regarding book shelf space. The bibliophile in me revolted, but I have really grown to love the convenience of having my library and a book store with me at all times.

After recommending Hell on here a few days ago, I've gone back to reread it. Anyone who has developed psychotic rage over driving in Atlanta due to the street names should read this book.

Ken, what do you think about Steven Erikson? I just started the long series of books. I'm only 1/2 way through Garden of the Moon, but so far I love it...I hear it's one of the series of books that you need to stick with, because everything starts coming together at the end....

I don't think I've ever seen a epic series of books praised as much as this on Amazon.com...I know it suppose to be a challenging read, but every now and then you need one of thos.

Ken, what do you think about Steven Erikson?

I find reading Erikson to be frustrating, but rewarding. Reading his books is the the literary equivalent of watching a choppily edited action sequence in a movie, or driving over rumble strips. It's just not a smooth ride. But it's strangely rewarding.

Erikson jumps around quite frequently between large numbers of characters. (The one exception is in House of Chains, where in the first part - he always has 4 parts per book - he concentrates solely on one character. That was a really nice change of pace!) I regularly find myself reading about characters for which I have no idea who they are, where they are, what they're doing, or why they're important. But there's enough regularly occurring familiar characters, and enough occasional dry humor, and enough interesting events, that I keep coming back for more. The books usually end with a bang, a large scale event with great implications for later on.

I've also found it easier to read the books in parts. They're so long, that I read one or two parts of a book, then set it aside to read some other things, then return a couple of weeks later. That probably is a big reason why I lose track of some of the characters, but it keeps me from getting burned out.

If you still like things after you're done with Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates, then I think you're free and clear to enjoy the rest.

Ken

The best reason to have a Kindle (or any e-reader) I've seen, and it fits me well too, is "I read more because of it." Definitely. The only thing I wish is that it could get approval for use during takeoffs and landings, as that's a lot of the time taken for flying to and from DC.

I picked up Sherrilyn Kenyon's No Mercy for the plane ride in a few days - have read zero paranormal/urban fantasy, so I have no expectations beyond brain popcorn.

Joseph Ratzinger - Jesus of Nazareth, I was skeptical, but thusfar Ratzinger proves himself a very, very good theologian, with easy-to-follow, but not ridiculously simplified prose (albeit, the text is translated), and refreshingly free of the heavy Catholic doctrines one would typically expect in such a tome.

The reviews for Malazan seem to be consistently positive, even for the middle books, which is rather amazing. I checked out some of the page lengths and had a moment of "oh god, what have I gotten myself into" but I think I'm looking forward to it, especially since it's finished. :)

Just finished Storm Born by Richelle Mead, which is excellent brain candy, if a bit on the chick-lit side of urban fantasy. I like me some kickass heroines. Currently working through Red Wolf by Liza Marklund, which I won from Goodreads - it's part of a Swedish crime mystery series, and apparently it's the 5th one, but the earlier books in translation are out of print. However, I've heard it works well as a stand-alone, and I haven't found it hard to get into.

(I also raided a closing used bookstore with my mother last week. All you could fit into a bag for $5. I think I wound up with twelve books in the end...)

I'm still reading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. This book is AMAZING. Not a minute of it is boring, and the characters are well-developed and easy to care about. I was a bit apprehensive that it might drag due to the length, but it doesn't! I'm nearly finished with it, and will probably complete it tomorrow. Of course, then I have about a year or so to wait for the next book in the series. Can't wait! :)

I just finished Memories of Ice (part of the Malazan series) by Steven Erikson. It was similar to the previous book in that the story was long, followed many characters, and followed a pretty convoluted plot. In the end though, it was a good read and had a pretty powerful ending. I look forward to reading the next one.

I started on Steven Brust's Tiassa today. I should be done by Saturday. His books are always so easy to read and compelling enough, and fairly short. So you end up reading it in a couple of days then wishing you had more.

I picked up Sherrilyn Kenyon's No Mercy for the plane ride in a few days - have read zero paranormal/urban fantasy, so I have no expectations beyond brain popcorn.

I was surprised at how relatively little 'romance' there was in her 'paranormal romance' books (Dark-Hunter series).
'Course, I don't read the genre normally anyway, but since she's become a pretty good acquaintance over the last few years, I picked up a few of hers.
Her novel Acheron was easily the best of hers I've read so far; I thought it was excellent for any genre, truthfully.