Now Reading...

Finally done with Wise Man's Fear. First half or so is amazing. Two thirds of the second half is ... let's just say that while it's beautifully *written* and the episodes themselves are enjoyable, it doesn't really feel cohesive to me, and I hope that those particular episodes will have an impact on the greater story rather than just being one-shot adventures of Kvothe. The last third of the second half is, again, amazing.

Totally agreed on the first half. I'll keep pushing for that last amazing 1/6th - I have around 250 pages left.

Just finished the latest from Lindqvist...much better than the last one Handling the Undead. Then again, maybe I was suffering zombie burnout. Harbour has a nice Lovecraftian feel to it - creeping dread and elemental forces rising from the sea!

Oh, cool! Glad they translated this quickly. I haven't read Handling the Undead yet, but Let The Right One In was my favorite novel of the '00's.

Now reading... the UMPPUSA lounge message board !!

In all seriousness, I have been reading "The Cat's Pajamas" by Ray Bradbury. I have skipped around quite a bit as it is a collection of 20 short stories, and hasve read most if not all before, but I sort of forgot just how good and diverse author he is.

Bryant

RiverMarked-e1298057956529.jpg

Hooray for brain popcorn! I love the Mercy Thompson novels. Yes I do.

Now reading: Paul of Dune, by Herbert and Anderson. I'd started it at one point, got distracted, and it's been kicking around ever since. The "direct sequel" to Dune....we'll see. :)

I loved the original Dune. It was such a visionary book. Everything that came after it was a chore to read though. I gave up after the fourth book.

The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal Volume 4: The '00's by Martin Popoff & David Perri

Now reading: Paul of Dune, by Herbert and Anderson. I'd started it at one point, got distracted, and it's been kicking around ever since. The "direct sequel" to Dune....we'll see. :)

Paul of Dune is the only Dune sequel I've read, and I was pleasantly surprised with it. It's worth finishing, imho.

By the way, Kevin Anderson is signing his new book Hellhole (written with Herbert) at Eagle Eye Books in Decatur this evening if you're interested in getting that copy of Paul of Dune signed.

Legion by William Peter Blatty (thanks to Rakosh for the hook-up on this).

Never read the book, but was always a fan of the movie (Exorcist III), which was a suitable sequel to the original Exorcist (let's just ignore the abominable 2nd movie, shall we?). I love George C. Scott as Kinderman, and the character's eccentricities are even more pronounced in the original book.

In short...a real treat!

Way-of-Kings-cover-192x300.jpg

This will be my first foray into anything this author has written. I'm assuming those of you who have read the Wheel of Time series are familiar with Sanderson's writing, since he picked up where Jordan left off after his death. So far I've only read the first prologue in the book, but it seems pretty good. It got my attention. I noticed this book is also over 1k pages, which seems to be about par for the Wheel of Time series (before and after Sanderson took it on as author) so I'm a bit leery that it might drag in parts.

Any input from anyone familiar with this author's works?

Finished The Wise Man's Fear a few days ago - I was sort of disappointed, to be honest. Like jaimek said, the first half and the last sixth were amazing, but the chunks between those with the Felurian revelry and the Adem mercenaries just seemed to go on forever... and with so little payoff in terms of moving the story along, too. I don't remember having these problems with the first one, which is probably why I'm so "meh" about it. Hopefully the third one is more solid.

On the bright side, I started Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, so now I'll see what all the fuss is about. :)

I still have a free eBook of Mistborn that I still need to read at some point.

Just got done with SM Stirling's "In The Courts Of The Crimson Kings". It looks like he was going for a pulpy SF story along the lines of the John Carter of Mars books and I think he mostly succeeded. It is a fun little book.

I loved the original Dune. It was such a visionary book. Everything that came after it was a chore to read though. I gave up after the fourth book.

Yep. I might have made it through five....but it would have been a foot-slog for the last 2 or 3.

Paul of Dune is the only Dune sequel I've read, and I was pleasantly surprised with it. It's worth finishing, imho.

By the way, Kevin Anderson is signing his new book Hellhole (written with Herbert) at Eagle Eye Books in Decatur this evening if you're interested in getting that copy of Paul of Dune signed.

Dang, didn't see this in time.
He's a nice guy, too. Second-biggest frequently-recurring author guest at Dragon*Con, behind only Sherrilyn Kenyon (who is also nice).

Yep. I might have made it through five....but it would have been a foot-slog for the last 2 or 3.

I got through 2 1/2 of the originals many moons ago though I keep intending to go back and try again. I have read (and enjoyed) 6 of the Herbert/Anderson books (the House trilogy and the History trilogy).

Finished Cussler's "Night Probe!" last night (which I quite enjoyed so a big :loco: to Glenn). I think next up will be Jack McDevitt's second Alex Benedict book, "Polaris".

And yesterday I finished off Treasure Island. It was a solid adventure tale, but the most intresting parts are when Jim Hawkins acts like a dumb kid and is most of the time rather fortunate that he doesn't get himself killed. I can see that movie adaptations have beefed up the ending, because the book ending is somewhat anticlimatic.