Now Reading...

Currently reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter. It's really good.

Basically, this doctor in the 60's helps his wife give birth. She has twins; 1 healthy boy, and 1 girl with Downs Syndrome. He panics and tells the nurse to take the baby to an institution, and tells his wife her other baby just died. The nurse decides to raise the girl herself.

Gooooooooooood book.

ROBTHRS01-1.jpg

I started on Steven Brust's Tiassa today.

I finished this one last week, it was terrific. It's almost like 3 novellas. Each part is written in a different style (one part from Vlad's POV, one part from other characters', and one part from Khaavren's - and the last part is written in the same style as the Khaavren Romance novels, complete with the great dialog.

"How, you like my dialog?"
"Yes, would you like me to tell you about how I like it?"
"Indeed, I would love for you to tell me that."
"Then I will do so."
"I am listening."

KL

I almost never leave a book unfinished, but I walked away from the first book in that series without a backwards glance. I could tell early on it wasn't going to be a good fit for me.

When I heard about one of the (apparently major) plot points, I put that book on my "never-to-be-read" list. I don't think I'd be able to handle it.

I have absolutely no preconcieved notions about this series. Based on the reactions I've seen from people on here so far (a few pages back I've seen mention that the main character is rather whiny) it'll be fun to see how I view this book. :)

I have absolutely no preconcieved notions about this series. Based on the reactions I've seen from people on here so far (a few pages back I've seen mention that the main character is rather whiny) it'll be fun to see how I view this book. :)

Let me know if you survive past the mid-point. I actually enjoyed them, but I'd be the first to admit that they can be a challenge. Have a dictionary handy, and perhaps a crying towel. :)

I also think the "companion" book (I think it was The Atlas of The Land) was extremely well-done. Donaldson is pretty darned good at world-building.

Let me know if you survive past the mid-point. I actually enjoyed them, but I'd be the first to admit that they can be a challenge. Have a dictionary handy, and perhaps a crying towel. :)

I also think the "companion" book (I think it was The Atlas of The Land) was extremely well-done. Donaldson is pretty darned good at world-building.

Three chapters in and I'm already depressed. The author wastes no time tormenting his protagonist, that's for sure.

I almost never leave a book unfinished, but I walked away from the first book in that series without a backwards glance. I could tell early on it wasn't going to be a good fit for me.

As I've said before, it was the middle of the 4th book that I finally got sick of it all.

Thomas Covenant is a whiny bitch.

Three chapters in and I'm already depressed. The author wastes no time tormenting his protagonist, that's for sure.

Oh, you don't know the half of it....

Finished McDevitt's "Polaris" and am now about 80 pages into Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" about Lincoln and his cabinet. Ah, the things one will do to impress a woman...

I very much enjoyed "Polaris". I wonder what possessed him to change the perspective of the book to that of Chase from Alex (in "A Talent for War"). I'm not complaining mind you, I guess it gives a bit of a Sherlock Holmes feel (Chase being Watson to Alex's Holmes). I see the next in series, "Seeker", won a Nebula award so I'm definitely looking forward to that one.

I'm fine with anti-heroes. I like the Elric novels. At least...the first few. After a certain point the novels jump around in time and don't seem to follow the initial story set in the first three (I think) novels.

Currently working on The Ghost in Love by Jonathan Carroll. It's about a man who was supposed to die, so his ghost was created, but due to a "virus in the mainframe", he lives. It has talking dogs, young love and ghosts, but I'm a third of the way through and still have no clue where it's going. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Just finished off the second book in Dave Duncan's "Man Of His Word" series, "Faery Lands Forlorn". It is a solid story, even if I want to beat the leads with cluebats at times.