Now Reading...

but none of the fanatical Malazan followers can ever describe to me what it is that draws them into the series, or why it's so worth the herculean effort of following the books.

Bob, I"ve asked that same question on here before and nobody has been able to ever answer me. So I"m thinking that some people probably just "force" themselves to enjoy it...Perhaps some think that because of the massive scope and complexity that I "need" to liked it regardless of whether it's well written or not....That's the only explantion I have....

I agree about the characters in his books. A well written and good book/arthur, develops characters that you would care about...Personally I never cared at all whether or not these characters lived or died....
A book that is deep in scope and complexity does not make it necessarily "good". Either it's well written or it's not....

Erickson really needs to develops writing ability at being more focused and not being all over the place....It's almost as if he suffers from ADD when it comes to writing a well put together book that flows well.....Fortunately, there are much better authors that are able to do this AND werite a good story at the same time.

Bob, I"ve asked that same question on here before and nobody has been able to ever answer me. So I"m thinking that some people probably just "force" themselves to enjoy it...Perhaps some think that because of the massive scope and complexity that I "need" to liked it regardless of whether it's well written or not....That's the only explantion I have....

I agree about the characters in his books. A well written and good book/arthur, develops characters that you would care about...Personally I never cared at all whether or not these characters lived or died....
A book that is deep in scope and complexity does not make it necessarily "good". Either it's well written or it's not....

Erickson really needs to develops writing ability at being more focused and not being all over the place....It's almost as if he suffers from ADD when it comes to writing a well put together book that flows well.....Fortunately, there are much better authors that are able to do this AND werite a good story at the same time.

What an unadulterated load of crap. It's not an author’s fault if you can't grasp the theme of his storyline, when clearly thousands of other readers manage to understand it quite well. Your failure to understand does not equate to thousands of others needing to force themselves to like anything. How egocentric can you get?

If no one took the time to explain it to you, it's probably because the explanation is long and time consuming. However, as luck would have it, I happen to have the time and the need to fill it.

The storyline isn't actually that complex. First of all most of the books have one or two stand alone tales included, and by the later half of the series there are three ongoing storylines:

1. There is an alien presence poisoning the world. That "god's" body has been scattered across the world, and it wishes to re-embody itself.
2. There are old gods who resent being forgotten. They plan to destroy the new gods and the magic of their Warrens.
3. A little known about race of Tiste are attempting to invade from their own Warren.

Each stand-alone book also introduces characters that may or may not become part of the ongoing saga, although they may or may not make it to the final culmination.
However, Erikson doesn't introduce a character by having him stroll into camp one night. Nor by saving some damsel in distress, and having her join the quest.
Erikson's characters emerge in stories. They may be the main character of a stand-alone story. They may be a seemingly minor character from what seems to be a side bar, who emerges to prominence by the end of the book. Or they could simply be the only one who survived a particular event, while many of the prominent characters died.

Because Erikson's characters emerge from their own stories the reader gets to know them much better than someone who just appears. We understand the events and relationships they had and lost, which affects their thoughts and actions. We understand why they react in the way they do at key points. Points that may affect the storyline, resolve an issue, or leave a favorite character dead.

Favorite characters do die. When they die it's to advance the storyline, for the shock effect it has on the characters (and the reader), or to heighten dislike of an already hated villain. However, like GRRM Erikson will kill almost any character at any time. Don't get too attached to anyone.

The extensive background of the characters leads to the them being well known to the reader. Therefore, when one of them dies the death is more profound. There may be a great sense of loss at some deaths. In fact that happens frequently. Other deaths are grimly satisfying.

Erikson's sidebar stories serve more than to introduce characters. Many of the stand-alone stories and sidebars lead the reader to understand how each character that needs to be somewhere by the end of the series got to where he or she needs to be. A random event, observation, or short sub-plot may leave the reader wondering, "What did that have to do with anything?" The answer may come by the end of the book. It may come three books later. When it comes it's like a light switch flicking on, and everything becomes clear.

See, it's not that complicated, and it's very enjoyable for those of us who can keep up.

What an unadulterated load of crap. It's not an author’s fault if you can't grasp the theme of his storyline, when clearly thousands of other readers manage to understand it quite well. Your failure to understand does not equate to thousands of others needing to force themselves to like anything. How egocentric can you get?

If no one took the time to explain it to you, it's probably because the explanation is long and time consuming. However, as luck would have it, I happen to have the time and the need to fill it.

The storyline isn't actually that complex. First of all most of the books have one or two stand alone tales included, and by the later half of the series there are three ongoing storylines:

1. There is an alien presence poisoning the world. That "god's" body has been scattered across the world, and it wishes to re-embody itself.
2. There are old gods who resent being forgotten. They plan to destroy the new gods and the magic of their Warrens.
3. A little known about race of Tiste are attempting to invade from their own Warren.

Each stand-alone book also introduces characters that may or may not become part of the ongoing saga, although they may or may not make it to the final culmination.
However, Erikson doesn't introduce a character by having him stroll into camp one night. Nor by saving some damsel in distress, and having her join the quest.
Erikson's characters emerge in stories. They may be the main character of a stand-alone story. They may be a seemingly minor character from what seems to be a side bar, who emerges to prominence by the end of the book. Or they could simply be the only one who survived a particular event, while many of the prominent characters died.

Because Erikson's characters emerge from their own stories the reader gets to know them much better than someone who just appears. We understand the events and relationships they had and lost, which affects their thoughts and actions. We understand why they react in the way they do at key points. Points that may affect the storyline, resolve an issue, or leave a favorite character dead.

Favorite characters do die. When they die it's to advance the storyline, for the shock effect it has on the characters (and the reader), or to heighten dislike of an already hated villain. However, like GRRM Erikson will kill almost any character at any time. Don't get too attached to anyone.

The extensive background of the characters leads to the them being well known to the reader. Therefore, when one of them dies the death is more profound. There may be a great sense of loss at some deaths. In fact that happens frequently. Other deaths are grimly satisfying.

Erikson's sidebar stories serve more than to introduce characters. Many of the stand-alone stories and sidebars lead the reader to understand how each character that needs to be somewhere by the end of the series got to where he or she needs to be. A random event, observation, or short sub-plot may leave the reader wondering, "What did that have to do with anything?" The answer may come by the end of the book. It may come three books later. When it comes it's like a light switch flicking on, and everything becomes clear.

See, it's not that complicated, and it's very enjoyable for those of us who can keep up.

Okay I'll admit, my post was kind of strategic. I figured that if I was unfair and harsh that perhaps finally someone would get angry enough at what I posted to FINALLY respond, and hey it worked!!! :D Nothing else seemed to work!!

So Thanks for taking the time to explain. Your response was the response I've been looking for.... However, I do still wish that he would write about characters that you easily get attached to more(in my opinion only). ..I find myself saying, "I don't care if any of the characters die" and I usually don't feel that way when I read a book...........Then again, if you did get attached to them, that's awesome, but I have to usually like a character to become attached to one.... So it just hasn't happened with me, through 3 books anyway..

Serious question: did you understand all of that on the first read-through, without needing input from a series bible or others who had read it?

Okay I'll admit, my post was kind of strategic. I figured that if I was unfair and harsh that perhaps finally someone would get angry enough at what I posted to FINALLY respond, and hey it worked!!! :D Nothing else seemed to work!!

Not mad, bro. Lucky for you I happened to be stuck at work with little to do and unable to leave. Otherwise I'd have let your post pass with an eye-roll and a shake of the head.
However, since you got your answer anyway it's all good.

Serious question: did you understand all of that on the first read-through, without needing input from a series bible or others who had read it?

To answer your question I have to say that I read all of the books as they came out, and I never re-read anything. I don't know of a Malazan Bible, although there's probably a fan site somewhere that has one. So, the basic answer is "Yes," but it's not as simple as that.

As I said each book contains stand alone stories, but the number of them vary. What's not immediately clear is the point of some of those stories. They are interesting in themselves, but their significance doesn't become clear until those characters reemerge later in the series.

Some of the events don't actually come to a conclusion. In those cases it was fairly apparent that they would be part of an ongoing storyline.

Also, some of the culminating storylines don't emerge until the latter half of the series. However, the previous books position characters to be part of them, and previous events set the stage for their development.

This is not an unfamiliar process to those who used to watch the TV series Babylon 5. Each episode of that show had a self-contained story. However, seemingly odd occurrences, which had no discernible connection to a particular episode, were revealed to be precursors to later events. Those revelations often didn't occur until the next or even several seasons later. The movie Pulp Fiction was much the same way. Everything seemed disjointed and out of place, but it all came together at the end.

I find that there are two kinds of audiences whether it be for books or movies. There are those who analyze, and those who just go with it. My wife is the former, and she always asks if I "figured it out" by the end. I never do, because I never try.
My suggestion for readers of the Malazan books is to just read them, and let the books take you to where they want you to be.

Just finished this one. It's a fun, quick read, and the kindle version is still on sale for $1.99.

51eZrbKwI9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It has been a while since I've posted what I've been reading.

Current pBook:

15530.jpg

Like a lot of the Piers Anthony I haven't read, this has sat on the shelf for a while. It is half a chronicle of his battle with an editor who had part of his book rewritten by another author and the publishing of the original manuscript, flaws and all. He does admit that this isn't one of his better stories and I agree that it is a bit of a mess.

Current eBook:

899391.jpg

This is a collection of the Falkenberg's Legion books. I'm in the middle of the second book and I think it is pretty good, tho it is interesting that Falkenberg tends to be a minor character in his own books. It also provides better reasons for a diaspora from Earth than "But What Of Earth?" In the latter, it is just a Maguffin to get the plot where he wants it, while this is better developed. Supposibly, this is also a prequel to "The Mote In God's Eye".

Regarding Erickson's books. Chris Lira on the pub posted an interesting link. The below link takes apart every single chapter of many of the books and gives you their meaning to the big picture. Apparently there are spoilers, since the readers give relationships to the entire series, but I'm sure it will help. It's almost like encylopedia site of the series....Really cool.....
http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Finished Deadhouse Gates, and the end was a lot more satisfying than I expected. I'll probably revisit the series eventually.

Until then:

51JwQ8DXbkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And: (don't laugh :p )

517M6ymER7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I finally finished the Wheel of Time series, including the most recent 2 by Mr. Sanderson. Wow. Great story, but man, Robert Jordan got lost somewhere in the middle for a while. I had a difficult time getting through books 8, 9 and 10, though 10 was by far the slowest. The 2 by Sanderson made up for it. He has definitely become my favorite author.

That being said, I'm on to his Elantris book and then the 2nd and 3rd Mistborn novels. Elantris is a little slow so far, but I'm only about 1/6 of the way into the book. I can tell that this was his first published novel. Its a little rough around the edges, but I'm enjoying the premise despite the slowness.

I finally finished the Wheel of Time series, including the most recent 2 by Mr. Sanderson. Wow. Great story, but man, Robert Jordan got lost somewhere in the middle for a while. I had a difficult time getting through books 8, 9 and 10, though 10 was by far the slowest. The 2 by Sanderson made up for it. He has definitely become my favorite author.

That being said, I'm on to his Elantris book and then the 2nd and 3rd Mistborn novels. Elantris is a little slow so far, but I'm only about 1/6 of the way into the book. I can tell that this was his first published novel. Its a little rough around the edges, but I'm enjoying the premise despite the slowness.

I love what Sanderson has done to help wrap up the WOT saga, but none of his other books have clicked with me.

I wish I had more time to read these straight through......it took me 2 months to get through the first one due to work and kids and granddaughter babysitting....but these have good stretches from time to time....Now reading.......

deadhouse-gates.jpg