np

I can never get tired of lsitening to that album Gas Chamber(<3), Past Life and Chaos Aggressor are my favorite tracks on the album(5/5's), rest of the album being all 4.5/5's with No More Color, Mutiny and Betrayal and the outro being my only 4/5. Yes, the outro even kick ass imo. A modern metal masterpiece imo.

I'd go 5/5 on the outro too. Perfect to hear that sort of mellow sadness after the thrash chaos of the rest of the album. I think of it like a mourning for the people lost in the terrorist attacks or w/e they're talking about on the rest of the album. Or it's like prophesy of things to come on Being and Nothingness, where they start including more progressive stuff like that. (well Desolate Horizons is like that too)

The title track yeah 4.5/5 maybe closer to 5/5 for the guitar solo and ending

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
331904.jpg

As good as State of Insurgency is, this is just a more mature, progressive album. I know thrash is not all about maturity so I can see why some people don't like this album as much. I do think they're focusing more on being artists/musicians here instead of just being thrashers with some clean parts like before. I appreciate it. Heck both albums are excellent.

Reactions: 0Marty
As good as State of Insurgency is, this is just a more mature, progressive album. I know thrash is not all about maturity so I can see why some people don't like this album as much. I do think they're focusing more on being artists/musicians here instead of just being thrashers with some clean parts like before. I appreciate it. Heck both albums are excellent.

State of Insurgency is far from being "just thrash" imo. I find it to be a much better record in just about every possible way ... and i love Being and Nothingness. But yeah, both albums are indeed excellent.

Last edited:
State of Insurgency is probably more consistent. And you're right it does have some other elements than just thrash. You could say it has some tech involved with all of those guitar solos or even prog when it comes to Desolate Horizons. I just find Being and Nothingness more interesting and more techy/proggy than SoI. And it has my 2 top favorite Hexen songs:

One of the best things about Hexen is their storytelling lyrics imo. They're interesting to read along with the music.

Well yeah it's definitely a more progressive album, as i'm sure it was meant to be. But that's about it.

Nice choices! Stream of Unconsciousness is my favorite track on the album. The rest are all 4.5/5's with The Nescient, Indefinite Archetype and Macrocosm being the only 4/5's. I'm probably driving you guys crazy wth all these ratings, lol. They were such a great fuckin' band though. Sad that they called it quits.

"If it is in fact nothingness that awaits us after death,
Then let us make an injustice of it until the last breath,
Let us fight against destiny even without hope of victory,
It was never for the destination, but for the journey.

Most live for postmortem reward, for them it is a game to exist,
I await no childish contingencies, without salvation I persist."

Hell yeah.

What are you guys smoking? This is not better than Endgame, no chance. The vocals are all kinds of fucked up for one. It's at least better than Super Collider and Thirteen but that's not saying much. A lot of the songs feel incomplete too, like this is a demo or unfinished version.

1 high point: Conquer or Die. Pretty sweet instrumental.

Last edited:
05_the_art_of_navigating_by_the_stars.jpg

This is unexpected, completely different from Lifecycle. Creative prog, no more thrash involved at all. It's interesting but overly long. Somewhat boring after 10 mins.

Last edited:
upload_2016-1-26_21-40-54.png

No Luca Turilli is probably a good thing because I like this a lot more than 'From Chaos to Eternity' which apparently has no songs on it at all - just widdly guitar parts. Turilli's 'Prometheus' album was one of my albums of 2015 and a new level in classically inspired metal.

View attachment 3837

No Luca Turilli is probably a good thing because I like this a lot more than 'From Chaos to Eternity' which apparently has no songs on it at all - just widdly guitar parts. Turilli's 'Prometheus' album was one of my albums of 2015 and a new level in classically inspired metal.

Yeah I Iike the new Rhapsody of Fire alot.

Abbath - Endless

549936.jpg