np

62692_molested_blod_draum.jpg

And can you recommend any albums that would sound similar to their debut? My death metal knowledge wants to be broadened.

Bolt Thrower and Runemagick's first three are the best answers but also try out

War Master - Pyramid of the Necropolis.

I know more but I'm having a mental block. Let me think about it...

Edit:
Winterwolf - Cycle of the Werewolf
Slugathor

Old Finnish death in general has kind of a slowed down bolt thrower feel

Last edited:
I missed the brief discussion of Type O so I'm going to throw my two cents in here.

Yes, 'October Rust' is my second favourite album of all time. It still holds up today, of course, but it also has a lot of nostalgia for me from back in 1996 when I first got it as a 16 year old. My friend and I were amazed. It was a great little mini-era, 1996. My Dying Bride, Anathema, Paradise Lost, Amorphis and Type O Negative were all still newish and at their arguable best and dark/atmospheric music was all the rage for me and my buddy.

Anyway, 'October Rust' has that perfect element of romance and atmosphere, with less of the joking around that I always found a little annoying from Type O. That's why, perhaps controversially, my favourite version of 'Bloody Kisses' is the digipak re-release with the light-hearted material removed (and the cover has the two women from the original cover kissing). Again, on 'October Rust' the slow, gothic songs like 'Love you to Death', 'Wolfmoon' and 'Red Water (Christmas Mourning) are just untouchable. The latter being one of the best doom/gothic songs of all time and it's about Christmas without being corny. That's a stroke of genius. The element of nature is amazing too, with 'Green Man' and the almighty 'Haunted' that ends the album perfectly giving a real sense of environmental beauty.

'World Coming Down' was a very good album but a little less of that foresty atmosphere of 'October Rust'. It's more urban, and that doesn't rock my boat in the same way. It was also more about Peter's own depression and less about falling in love with girls, which again I find less endearing. It's certainly a great album though.

After that, unfortunately things get sillier and sillier, culminating in 'Dead Again' which is one of the worst albums I've heard. The same friend I mentioned earlier and I had a ritual burning of it to remove it from the earth. So in a way, the two albums that are less like anything else Peter Steele has done - 'Bloody Kisses' and 'October Rust' - are by far the ones I love the most.

I just related more with WcD. The emotional weight of that album is crazy. October Rust is my second favorite by them and I totally get where you are coming from . Your description is pretty fucking spot on.